As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did you eat at MJ Connor's in the Westin?

thespianthespian Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Apparently, the credit card system at M.J. Connor's in the Westin Waterfront had a compromised security system. They and other restaurants owned by the Briar Group (Green Briar, the Lenox, Ned Devine’s and The Harp) are being fined because they were aware that there was some compromised malware in their CC system, and they just kept entering credit card numbers....anyway .

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/03/28/local-restaurants-fined-over-ongoing-data-breach/

Please check your credit card statements carefully, and take precautions as needed.

Thes.

thespian on

• Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's ridiculous. Seems like way too small of a fine considering how much sensitive information was potentially exposed.

Anyway, I read the article and the one it links back to here, which states it started in April 2009 and went on for 8 months, which would have stopped around December 2009. This wouldn't have affected us this year at PAXE, but it's good to know for people who have eaten there before then.

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    _Cowsvils__Cowsvils_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the heads up man

_Cowsvils_ on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good to know, especially since that was the bar we went to for a small meetup on Saturday. Article copypasta'd to that forum. Thanks.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes! My credit card was charged 9 times for the same transaction. I had opened a dispute with american express about 2 weeks ago once I noticed. I guess the issues is separate from the information leak, though, since that leak wasn't during pax east.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    thespianthespian Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MTSonic11 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Seems like way too small of a fine considering how much sensitive information was potentially exposed.

Anyway, I read the article and the one it links back to here, which states it started in April 2009 and went on for 8 months, which would have stopped around December 2009. This wouldn't have affected us this year at PAXE, but it's good to know for people who have eaten there before then.

thanks for adding the second link - it wasn't in the article when I posted it, so all I had was the initial info (it was being passed around the Arisia mailing list, a largish local con that fills the Westin in January).

Thes.

thespian on
  • Options
    TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm so glad I paid in cash to rush to the JoCo line. With this in mind, I might only use cash in these places for now on.

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the one time i did eat there was after PAX and i paid in cash. am very disappointed by this news as i was planning on recommending them to anyone attending PAX East next year. i can only hope for the sake of all attendees that they get their act together before next Easter.

Wraith260 on