As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Travel Backpack Recommendations

snorepezsnorepez Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I will be moving to Argentina from the US, where I'll stay for at least 1 year. I am hoping to take just one backpack, in which I'll pack my essential work/casual clothing and shoes for a week, and a few other small things.

It was suggested to me that I should look into some variation of a hiking backpack: http://www.rei.com/product/809155

I'm looking to spend no more than $200. Any suggestions? :-)

snorepez on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been incredibly happy with my North Face bag. Very durable and has backpack straps as well.

Quid on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are you going to be constantly on the move? Hiking with it? You need to be more specific.

Esh on
  • Options
    snorepezsnorepez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    Are you going to be constantly on the move? Hiking with it? You need to be more specific.

Well, I won't have a car. And I'm moving to another country. So, yes, I'll be constantly on the move - that is, until I arrive to my apartment. Once I settle into my apartment I'll just use a messenger bag to go to work.

Basically, I'll only need this to move about quickly through airports, buses, subways, etc, when moving to and from Argentina.

snorepez on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    snorepez wrote: »

Well, I won't have a car. And I'm moving to another country. So, yes, I'll be constantly on the move - that is, until I arrive to my apartment. Once I settle into my apartment I'll just use a messenger bag to go to work.

Basically, I'll only need this to move about quickly through airports, buses, subways, etc, when moving to and from Argentina.

You really don't need to buy a new backpack if you have luggage. The backpack will help if you're constantly hopping trains around the country but just for flying down there it really isn't necessary.

If you really want to buy one the best way to get a backpack is to go to the store and try them on to find one that fits your comfortably and so you can see in person what X cubic inches really looks like.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

You're going to want to take more than a backpack can carry. Take luggage.

Esh on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Not true. I did half a year with a backpack (5000 cu. inches though, 3000 like the one in the OP is a bit small) and a messenger bag. You really don't need as much stuff as you think you do. It's cheaper to travel light as well with how much some airlines charge for bags. Personally, I'd recommend bringing one bag (suitcase, backpack, duffel, whatever) and putting everything else into storage at a friend or family members house for the year he's gone. IMO, the main reason for the OP to take a suitcase would be he (I'm assuming and may be totally wrong) already owns some and it will save him $200.

If he doesn't have a suitcase, and will have to spend money no matter what, it really doesn't matter what he gets unless he's bringing a suit. In which case he should get a bag and a carry-on garment bag for his suit.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Not true. I did half a year with a backpack (5000 cu. inches though, 3000 like the one in the OP is a bit small) and a messenger bag. You really don't need as much stuff as you think you do. It's cheaper to travel light as well with how much some airlines charge for bags. Personally, I'd recommend bringing one bag (suitcase, backpack, duffel, whatever) and putting everything else into storage at a friend or family members house for the year he's gone. IMO, the main reason for the OP to take a suitcase would be he (I'm assuming and may be totally wrong) already owns some and it will save him $200.

If he doesn't have a suitcase, and will have to spend money no matter what, it really doesn't matter what he gets unless he's bringing a suit. In which case he should get a bag and a carry-on garment bag for his suit.

I didn't tell him to bring a luggage set. He should bring one decent sized suitcase and a carry-on. That's what I'm doing when I spend half a year in France this Fall. My one free checked bag and a large Chrome messenger bag are what I'm using.

Esh on