As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dry clean only? CRAP!

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have this tie. its my favorite tie. Its a silk/poly blend. It says dry clean only on it, and I was going to wear it to a job fair tomorrow. My mom...trying to be nice, tossed some zout on a stain on the tie and ran it under water. stains gone, but now theres a part of the tie thats darker, I think its just still wet but man I have experience here.

Should I hang dry it? should I use an iron to sort of heat dry it? Am I fucked?

Bucketman on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am sure it will look normal when it dries. Just let it air dry.

Have a different tie ready though.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh yeah, I collect ties, so I have about 25 of them. But thats my luck one.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    oh yeah, I collect ties, so I have about 25 of them. But thats my luck one.

Rub it against some socks and then wear your lucky socks.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Next time tell your mom to use kerosene, not water and zout.

It will be fine though. Ties get wet in the rain all the time. Nothing in poly/silk that would be ruined by water either. Just dont put it in the dryer. The polyester will shrink and the tie will be ruined.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A little googling suggests that a dry cleaner actually would've been worse as they would've pressed the tie and apparently that's bad for it.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My favorite Italian silk tie was damage permanently when I washed with soap and water, if it says Dry Cleaning, use Dry Cleaning.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Next time you get it wet, try blow drying it on low (from a foot away or so). Should help get the moisture out quickly so you don't get any unsightly wrinkles.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A little googling suggests that a dry cleaner actually would've been worse as they would've pressed the tie and apparently that's bad for it.

Depends on the tie and how they press it. If they use one of those giant steam presses and its a cheap polyester tie, it will probably melt or at least shrink. Most dry cleaners will know how to deal with a tie though, they see them a lot since almost all ties are dry-clean only, and hey, ties get dirty.

People telling you not to clean your ties are probably the same people with 100+ ties that all cost over 200 bucks each. Or people that wish they had a tie collection like that.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zeon wrote: »

Depends on the tie and how they press it. If they use one of those giant steam presses and its a cheap polyester tie, it will probably melt or at least shrink. Most dry cleaners will know how to deal with a tie though, they see them a lot since almost all ties are dry-clean only, and hey, ties get dirty.

People telling you not to clean your ties are probably the same people with 100+ ties that all cost over 200 bucks each. Or people that wish they had a tie collection like that.

Ties to the ceiling, Ties to the sky, My rack of ties is a mile high.
    How I love them! How I need them!
    I'll have a long beard by the time I clean them!

Enc on