As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Double Whammy! Mustache and Mental Health!

sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Two parter here.

First, I am the proud owner of a handlebar mustache, it's the first facial hair I've grown and I love it dearly. That being said I've been having some problems with it, primarily that the curls of the handlebar seem to lean forward and fall down a few hours after waxing. Any advice on how to prevent this procedurally or maybe with a different hair product?

Second and entirely unrelated, I think I'm suffering from depression. My initial problem is I'm not sure who I should be looking for for help; psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, I'm not sure which would be most helpful. In addition I called my health care provider regarding mental health coverage. They said that they do but for coverage it would come to $50 per session for the copay. This is something I could afford a few times, but couldn't make a regular occurrence. I recognize things like depression aren't "I went to the doctor and he cured it" kind of problems, so would it even be worthwhile to go a couple times?

sligmasta on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just grew my first handlebar!!!! What wax are you using?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I got a tip from a guy with the most majestic mustache i had ever seen who came into my work, he recommended me murray's pomade. It comes in a can and is supposed to be a hair wax. It works pretty well, but when I'm in a warm area it seems to melt a bit and my mustache looses form. This makes me worried for the summer as I'm in vegas and it'll probably hit around 125 sometime this summer

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Did the guy have a gravity-defying mustache? A pommade's main ingredients are petroleum jell and mineral oil and I'd be shocked if that did what you want. Now mind you, my hair grows just a little faster than Gabe's so even though I'm two months into my handlebar, its on the small side. Which is fine, it works well for my face, but it means that I don't have a lot of bulk to work with.
    Still, I am using Clubman's wax
    http://www.amazon.com/Clubman-Moustache-Brush-Neutral-White/dp/B000052Y6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301618333&sr=8-1
    I live in a very wet heat (you desert bastard you) and while my small curls drop a bit I can very quickly fix them without reapplying.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I will give that a shot, does it allow you to really shape the stache? because right now I've got mine curling into loops, which I like, and is how it's currently trained, but I would also like to be able to do a less pronounced upward curl at times.

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Seems to be the case, but again I'm speaking with a limited mustache here. I have to commit to this thing for the long haul to make it work. The reviews on Amazon seem to say it will do that.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Re: Mental Health (sorry, don't have a 'stache).

You have a few different options. First, are you currently enrolled in college? If so, visit their CAPS (counseling and psychological services) department, they usually have 6 free sessions as well as referrals. Second, if money is an issue, see if you can find a therapist who offers a free counsultation and see if they know therapists who have sliding scale slots and/or pro bono slots. Lastly, if there is a local MH agency, you can usually talk to them and see if they have referrals to therapists who do sliding scale/pro bono services.

That_Spoony_Bard on