As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Olorin wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    okay so

if protoss opens speed zealots

how do you possibly beat that? wrecks bunkers, marauders, marines... if I wall I'm stuck in my base, and the only good unit against it is blue flame helion which if you just go blind will probably get you killed somewhat often. seeing lots of zealots I guess is a giveaway? and then maybe you try to wall off and pray? seems insanely powerful to me. you can get it jump to 4gate and just destroy terran unless I'm missing something. in face if you wanted you could probably 5gate it right?

I hate losing to shit like that.

My advice...

If you scout a bunch of zealots (obviously this won't work if he surprises you) just go kill him with an MM ball. You should have stim before he has legs. If you see mostly zealots, you can assume he's either a total noob or he's rushing legs. If he's getting sentries with them, obviously you will need to be more careful. But I would assume there is a fairly large window, before he gets legs, where he is super vulnerable.

Also, is this push coming off of one base? Any time I have my expo up and I don't scout any expo from toss I throw down a ton of bunkers (at least 3).

I dunno though, I haven't seen the build/game in question so...

If you expand, three bunkers won't hold against a speedlot opening, unless you have a really sexy Natural entrance (like on shakuras for example). The protoss is basically super safe, because this is all of of one base. All his gas goes into upgrades and sentries. The minute you try to go up his ramp he will just FF behind you letting the zealots go to work.

You will probably also die if you get tanks.

Sceptre on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »
    okay so

how do you possibly beat that? wrecks bunkers, marauders, marines... if I wall I'm stuck in my base, and the only good unit against it is blue flame helion which if you just go blind will probably get you killed somewhat often. seeing lots of zealots I guess is a giveaway? and then maybe you try to wall off and pray? seems insanely powerful to me. you can get it jump to 4gate and just destroy terran unless I'm missing something. in face if you wanted you could probably 5gate it right?

My advice...

If you scout a bunch of zealots (obviously this won't work if he surprises you) just go kill him with an MM ball. You should have stim before he has legs. If you see mostly zealots, you can assume he's either a total noob or he's rushing legs. If he's getting sentries with them, obviously you will need to be more careful. But I would assume there is a fairly large window, before he gets legs, where he is super vulnerable.

Also, is this push coming off of one base? Any time I have my expo up and I don't scout any expo from toss I throw down a ton of bunkers (at least 3).

I dunno though, I haven't seen the build/game in question so...

If you expand, three bunkers won't hold against a speedlot opening, unless you have a really sexy Natural entrance (like on shakuras for example). The protoss is basically super safe, because this is all of of one base. All his gas goes into upgrades and sentries. The minute you try to go up his ramp he will just FF behind you letting the zealots go to work.

You will probably also die if you get tanks.

i've been working on a 1gate FE opening into 6gate chargelots that works really really well against terran. The FE lets you produce a ton of units consistently once you actually decide to push, and 2-3 cannons helps out a lot if the terran want to try to engage before legs are done

the downfalls though are that banshees wreck this build and it's relatively easy to scout. you can also potentially double expand in retaliation.

edit: oh wait, didn't i try that build against you yesterday? :P

Guek on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Startale minileague cast by Morrow and Doa being played between members of the Startale house; July, Bomber, Virus and Squirtle all playing each other in bo3's.

http://www.justin.tv/cybersportsnetwork#/w/1071494928

815165 on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Fizban140 on
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    okay so

I imagine this wouldn't actually be too hard to scout. If you see a TC and he warps in anything but pure stalkers, it'll be charge or DTs. You can't afford many (any?) sentries with blink and zealots work horribly with blink stalkers.

I know really good marauder micro could handle it before, but can they now since the charge buff?

TannerMS on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Your four gate was a minute slow to hit the ramp, you never set up a proxy pylon to warp up the ramp and you BM'd like a baby?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited April 2011
    He was whispering me :P
    Anyways how was it a minute slow? I warped in on time, 6:00

Fizban140 on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am consistently playing against high plats and diamonds for the first time. I'm beating a few of 'em, too. I am excite!!!

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

First you shouldn't ever power your structures with only 1 pylon secon it flew right over your pylon so you should have been able to scout the warp prism. as for the failed 4 gate you should have just expanded while he was locked into his base you probably could have taken a 3rd and then walked in with colossi or massive amounts of gate units.

Also that was bad form the guy intentionally got sentry's specifically to protect himself one would assume and you told him it was luck. Next you will be saying that he didn't win you just lost.

GarethMagis on
    edited April 2011
    Its such a lucky strat though, for me there is no way to scout that he is doing it and I just insta lose if he does end up doing it. I have tried expanding, then they just push out on one base and wreck me.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202677

Also what went wrong that game? I still have no idea how to scout. I saw tanks so I figured quick tech like that meant a strong timing attack so I cut my plan of expanding and I built units and rushed straight to immortals.

Fizban140 on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Halfway across the map. And you don't go 2 gas 4 gate PvP, you go 1 gas and cut probes. Your army didn't start up the ramp until 6:41. And even then you could have won if you'd placed a proxy pylon so you could get vision up the ramp. That alone lost you the game

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited April 2011
    p.s. how do you "open" chargelots? Surely there is an enormous amount of time in which Toss is super vulnerable? As in, right up until the moment he gets charge? Even then with ranged guys you should be fine??

Spaffy on
    edited April 2011

A perfectly executed 4 gate warps in @ 5:30. More reasonable timing is around 5:45 (when most decent players will warp in their units). 6:00 is so slow that you could potentially be going up against an extra round of units if you take too long to attack his base.

Edit: 6:00 is ideally when you want to begin attacking. Anything past 6:30 means your opponent will have his tech units out making a 4 gate win really unlikely.

Sceptre on
    edited April 2011
    I did go 1 gas, I did place a proxy pylon but he killed it. And I do cut probes, I read a guide somewhere to cut them at two points but I started rebuilding once I realized I would need it.

Fizban140 on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Its such a lucky strat though, for me there is no way to scout that he is doing it and I just insta lose if he does end up doing it. I have tried expanding, then they just push out on one base and wreck me.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202677

Also what went wrong that game? I still have no idea how to scout. I saw tanks so I figured quick tech like that meant a strong timing attack so I cut my plan of expanding and I built units and rushed straight to immortals.

how do you instalose

you repeatedly tried to force your way up the ramp, throwing away units who got cut off by the forcefields. You never switched things up, you just kept doing it expecting different results. His sentry play was reliant one the ramp, so why give him what he wants? He wasn't going anywhere, you could have tried to out economy him. If you really want to all in, you need a pylon with power up on the highground so you can warpin past the forcefield, but that's not an easy thing to pull off

there's nothing lucky about it, and your bm really doesn't portray you in a positive light

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited April 2011
    I was told that 4 gate hits at 6 unless it is the crazy all in 5:30 one.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202683
    Anyways what do I do here? I guess I need to work on my probe micro to be able to scout better?

Fizban140 on
    edited April 2011

o_O

Fizban, I think you really need to watch your own replays. Yesterday, you submitted a replay, and when I asked you what you thought went wrong, you said "I don't know, I didn't watch it".

Watch your own replays with a critical eye, THEN come to us for help. We aren't here to be your personal analysis machine.

Sceptre on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fiz to add to what i was saying about it not being an instalose, look at the 11 minute mark where he tried to push out of his base, you kick his ass and he totally loses the food advantage he had. If you'd played more defensive after the 4gate rush didn't work, it could have ended up way different

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202683
    Anyways what do I do here? I guess I need to work on my probe micro to be able to scout better?

If your 2nd FF stopped him from getting up the ramp, you can warp in 3 units, and I'd guess you hold it.
    If you keep your probe in his base until his pool finished, you either see the roach warren drop, or he has to wait until your probe is gone. If he waits, then warpgate is done and you have 3 more units.

Read the counter section of this:
    http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3_Roach_Rush_Speedling_all-in_(vs._Protoss)

shwaip on
    edited April 2011
    I do watch my replays, I just am not sure about certain events that happen. I posted the Terran once because I dont know how to scout. I posted the PvP because I don't know what to do in that situation. Watching a replay doesn't give me the answer so I ask here.

Fizban140 on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spaffy wrote: »
    p.s. how do you "open" chargelots? Surely there is an enormous amount of time in which Toss is super vulnerable? As in, right up until the moment he gets charge? Even then with ranged guys you should be fine??

well, sentry+zealots will do well against MMM

but the most important thing is I was doing a 1rax FE. there is no way to scout that it's gonna be speed zealots before the timing of the expo and expanding as such as pretty standard. I don't want to feel that I can never do it because of a particular build.

there isn't an enormous amount of time because it's 1 tech building. and again, sentries help keep the toss safe.

I'm sure like a 3rax would have survived but I'm not going into games with that plan.

scouting the tech isn't like an automatic thing, and even if you see a TC you still MUST get engi bay+turrets (which generally you have to do blind anyway if you don't see a robo and saw 2 gas)

there's obviously a response, I just don't know it. and if you attack and don't decimate his army, when charge kicks in the zealots will eat MMM for lunch.

I suppose I could wall against toss now but I hate doing that because of void rays..

edit - yeah if I don't see the expansion (which I didn't, so I stayed up my ramp and had a bunker) I should get more defensive than I currently do. I think that's a general flaw in my play that came out in this game. however I'm still not sure I'd stop this... but it's certainly an option. just cut whatever I have to and get lots of bunkers.

and no, for me stim wasn't out yet.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mastman wrote: »
    how can you not get the razer spectre
    it changes color depending on your APM
    also it gives you best response to BM ever
    other guy "fuck you you fucking <expletive>"
    me "you'd probably do better if your mouse showed your APM like mine does"
    other guy "/raagggeeeeee"

im gonna say that from now on

i have a deathadder not a sceptre but they dont know that

Dhalphir on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I now have the deathadder and the spectre.

Also the largest mousepad I have ever seen in my life.

I'm assuming gamers use these as blankets if they get cold.

wakkawa on
    edited April 2011
    Spaffy wrote: »

well, sentry+zealots will do well against MMM

but the most important thing is I was doing a 1rax FE. there is no way to scout that it's gonna be speed zealots before the timing of the expo and expanding as such as pretty standard. I don't want to feel that I can never do it because of a particular build.

there isn't an enormous amount of time because it's 1 tech building. and again, sentries help keep the toss safe.

I'm sure like a 3rax would have survived but I'm not going into games with that plan.

scouting the tech isn't like an automatic thing, and even if you see a TC you still MUST get engi bay+turrets (which generally you have to do blind anyway if you don't see a robo and saw 2 gas)

there's obviously a response, I just don't know it. and if you attack and don't decimate his army, when charge kicks in the zealots will eat MMM for lunch.

I suppose I could wall against toss now but I hate doing that because of void rays..

edit - yeah if I don't see the expansion (which I didn't, so I stayed up my ramp and had a bunker) I should get more defensive than I currently do. I think that's a general flaw in my play that came out in this game. however I'm still not sure I'd stop this... but it's certainly an option. just cut whatever I have to and get lots of bunkers.

and no, for me stim wasn't out yet.

How many zealots are we talking, and running off how many warpgates?

The reason I questioned a chargelot 'opening' is because for Toss to be adequately defended by sentries, he needs at least 3 or 4, or less with lots of energy, which means he needs to make them early... Either way, with archives + charge = 350 gas, plus 300 gas for the sentries, plus the huge build time for all this, it seems like a standard MM ball should be able to handle it fine, 'cos those fuckers come out fast.

In other news, I've been breaking the monotony of 4 gating PvP by proxy 2-gating. Works about 75% of the time in gold but I'm starting to get shut down hard now that I'm playing plats/diamonds. Time to check out the adelscott no gas build...

Spaffy on
    edited April 2011
    So what do I do against muta harass? I have never been able to stop it.

Replay if people want to see it

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202703

Really though if you are just going to watch the replay to whine about me posting replays, don't watch it.

Fizban140 on
    edited April 2011
    What do you think you should do about mutalisk harass? What's your first instinct?

What about mutalisk harass gives you trouble?

Sceptre on
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=202703

Really though if you are just going to watch the replay to whine about me posting replays, don't watch it.

scout mutas and +1 6-gate. Win before mutas are out. As a zerg, this is the reason I almost never go mutas. I can't hold a well done 6-gate without burrow (maybe move) roaches.

PS, build more things than just sentries and 1 zealot.

Or, get phoenixes. Phoenixes destroy mutas.

shwaip on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I believe he got them off 3 gate and then added a 4th. I didn't watch the replay yet, plan to tonight, posted right after the game happened.

I'll look if there's a point where he's vulnerable, but again considering the build I'm doing I'd rather defend.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Maybe instead of being a defensive whiner yourself about it, you should actually listen to the criticism thats being posted?

You asked why your 4gate failed. We told you, quite plainly. You did a shitty 4gate.
    Then you went on the defensive instead of just taking the advice as written. Surely if you're asking for help, its because you feel you don't have the skills to determine what you did wrong, and instead you're asking those more knowledgeable. Why then reject their help? Why would we bother helping you if that is the reaction we get when you're told exactly what you did wrong.

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2011
    dhal wrote:
    Maybe instead of being a defensive whiner yourself about it, you should actually listen to the criticism thats being posted?

You asked why your 4gate failed. We told you, quite plainly. You did a shitty 4gate.
    Then you went on the defensive instead of just taking the advice as written. Surely if you're asking for help, its because you feel you don't have the skills to determine what you did wrong, and instead you're asking those more knowledgeable. Why then reject their help? Why would we bother helping you if that is the reaction we get when you're told exactly what you did wrong.
    <3.

Sceptre on
    edited April 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

It happens a lot.

Spaffy on
    edited April 2011

I take the help that is given but when I get help that "your 4 gate is bad" or something without details I can't possibly take it seriously. I was told to get my 4 gate time down to 6 minutes, so I practiced in yabot until I got it down.

Also against the muta harass I know sentries are good against it and the reason I had sentries was because I was going 3 gate sentry and was waiting to scout something to see where to go from there. I never saw the spire but I know sentries are suppose to be very good against muatas anyways.

Fizban140 on
    edited April 2011
    I believe he got them off 3 gate and then added a 4th. I didn't watch the replay yet, plan to tonight, posted right after the game happened.

I'll look if there's a point where he's vulnerable, but again considering the build I'm doing I'd rather defend.

Pfft, don't listen to me, I don't even hotkey my army.

Spaffy on
    edited April 2011

I take the help that is given but when I get help that "your 4 gate is bad" or something without details I can't possibly take it seriously. I was told to get my 4 gate time down to 6 minutes, so I practiced in yabot until I got it down.

You will never get better at this game until you start to analyze and criticize your own play. It seems as though you expect us to give you a complete list of "When X happens, do Y".

If you watch a replay before you submit it to us, I'm 99% sure you will realize exactly what happened and what you needed to do. Stuff like "Oh... my money got really high" at this point or "Oh, I didn't build cannons once I knew mutalisks were out".

You post so many replays asking for help that it's hard to take you seriously. Especially given that in most of your games, the decisive mistake is pretty obvious.

Sceptre on
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    continuing my quest for silver at justin.tv/garethmagis

GarethMagis on
    edited April 2011

Also against the muta harass I know sentries are good against it and the reason I had sentries was because I was going 3 gate sentry and was waiting to scout something to see where to go from there. I never saw the spire but I know sentries are suppose to be very good against muatas anyways.

Your 4gate wasn't 6 minutes. It was nearly half a minute later. You didn't have a proxy pylon at the ramp. You need one.

Your 4gate was bad. Thats why it didn't work. You trying to claim it isn't doesn't change the fact that it is. You're simply wrong.

Not to mention that every second replay you post as a loss is "My opponent did this. Its unbeatable! I can't think of a way to beat it!"

No strategy is unbeatable, and the reason you can't think of a way to beat it is because you suck, and until you recognise that you suck, and stop trying to make excuses and be defensive about your losses, you'll never be able to improve. We've all been there.

As for mutalisk harass, you need one of two things in the face of a Zerg going mutas.

1) Get blink stalkers as soon as you see the spire.

2) Add 3 more gates to make 6 as soon as you see the spire, get a proxy pylon and go fucking kill him.
    The answer to any early fancy high tech is nearly always "just go kill him"

You'll note that both of these centre around seeing the spire.
    Get Hallucination.

But you see, the problem here is that all of this is really simple strategy stuff. But you just don't have the baselines to make it work. I can say "get 6 warpgates and a proxy pylon and go and kill him". But if you end up with 10 less supply at the start of the battle due to poor macro, then you forget your warp gate cooldowns while in the battle and don't warp in any reinforcements to strengthen your push, he may well hold you off (barely). And then you'll probably come in here and be like 'DHAL GAVE ME SHITTY ADVICE OMFG, He said go 6gate when a Zerg goes muta and I went 6gate and lost" and you'll post a replay and we'll point all of the failings out to you and then you'll say "NOPE THAT ZERG DID SOMETHING UNBEATABLE CANT BEAT IT NOPE NO WAY".

And you're never going to improve until you move far away from that silly attitude.

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2011
    I know I suck and I know the reason I suck is because I suck, and the reason those strategies are unbeatable is because I can't think of a way to beat it.

I might have scouted the spire but I suck and didn't see it, I had the phoenix over his base but my APM is just too low to control a scout properly.

Fizban140 on
    edited April 2011
    I know I suck and I know the reason I suck is because I suck, and the reason those strategies are unbeatable is because I can't think of a way to beat it.

I might have scouted the spire but I suck and didn't see it, I had the phoenix over his base but my APM is just too low to control a scout properly.

You're making excuses again. Reasons why your failings are not your fault. Stop doing that! Figure out a way to control the scout better! Maybe you can hotkey it. Most people don't, but if your mouse speed is too low to manually control it, whenever you make a hallucinated phoenix hotkey it and then just doubletap the hotkey and away you go.

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2011
    On my stream today I ran into a rather nasty mutalisking player. He opened with the Spanishiwa build (infinite queens, speedlings super delayed) and threw down about 5-6 crawlers at his ramp. It was pretty obvious he was going mutas, but I confirmed it with hallucinations.

So I think, well, I'll just go kill him. I toss down 3 gates, charge in angrily.

Transfuse is a horrifyingly awesome ability. With a lot of queens, you can keep spine crawlers alive forever. My six gate push didn't even break the ramp. I managed to still win later on with some blink trickery, but it was really close.

Sceptre on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Watching that ST tournament.

Doa's really unimpressive as a full time caster who's been training for it in Korea.

Still sounds bored all the time, still frequently demonstrates a misunderstanding of basic game mechanics.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.