As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Opty wrote: »
    I discovered Phineas and Ferb on Netflix and I just can't stop watching. I'm like halfway through the second season.

Love that show. It may be my favorite thing on TV right now.

Yesterday, I even used Perry the Platypus to tease in a discussion about Sonic.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerd if you haven't watched Avatar watch it watch it right now

it takes the first season to really find itself but once it does

hoo boy

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah, I've watched avatar tons of times

I wish netflix had more of the old cartoon network shows

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I recently started watching Sym-Bionic Titan and it's really enjoyable. Really disappointed to hear it's been cancelled.
    And seconding the Avatar suggestion. I fervently wish I could forget every single thing about that series so that I could watch it again for the first time. Such an incredible show.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Oh hey just the thread I was looking for.

Supposedly, this is the new Avatar theme. I really like it. Feels like an industrial version of the original.
    http://www.box.net/shared/n4y3bhh5zx

bloody amazing

Huh, interesting. Kinda like Avatar Beyond. Not meant as a complaint, I think it does a decent job of communicating the whole industrial revolution thing.

Really? I hear more of a digital revolution vibe. Given the use of synthetic sound, it really can't be reminiscent of anything earlier than electrification. The main characteristic of the industrial revolution was, of course, increased industrialization, which would have probably (I'm not sure, as I've never seen an analysis on the effect of music) been an increased ability to produce metal (brass) instruments, a greater ability to produce lots of instruments (bigger bands inflating bands, and greater access allowing more people to practice more often), and an increased ability to produce complex instruments (guess when the clarinet gained all those weird valve bits that make it look like a clarinet). As such, the list of features of the romantic era of western music (basically the second half of the industrial revolution and the whole of the second industrial/technological revolution) in the wikipedia page includes
    Denser, weightier textures with bold dramatic contrasts, exploring a wider range of pitch, dynamics and tone-colours.
    Expansion of the orchestra, sometimes to gigantic proportions; the invention of the valve system leads to development of the brass section whose weight and power often dominate the texture.
    Greater technical virtuosity – especially from pianists, violinists and flautists
    Of course, the increased availability of instruments would have meant more bands, and therefore a more active music scene with greater access to music, but I can't even start to imagine what effect accelerated musical evolution would have on the eastern-themed Avatar music, and I don't want to try to figure out what effects the poor breaking into music due to the falling price of instruments had in the western context.
    I suppose I should mention the instrument-based characteristics of the first half of the industrial revolution (the classical era), but most of the changes in that period seemed to have been driven by taste (classicism in general) and economic (increasing reliance on individual patrons rather than community funding) changes.

Therefore, a straight conversion like this would probably be a cover by a big orchestra with an oversized brass section, or even a big brass band. I'd also say that there would be strong folk influences (hence my previous prediction of syncopation), but I have no idea what that implies.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    are there any cartoons on Netflix instant watch that you guys would recommend

SERIES:
    Phineas and Ferb
    Spectacular Spider-Man
    Wallace and Gromit
    Jackie Chan Adventures
    Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Also if you have any nostalgia for classic Nick there's plenty of those on there. (Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, etc)

MOVIES:
    The Iron Giant
    The Secret of Kells
    The Haunted World of El Superbeasto
    Toy Story 3
    Up
    The Princess and the Frog
    Cats Don't Dance

And if you're in the mood for something terrible there...Delgo

I'd add EXO Squad, Gargoyles, and Batman: TAS to the list. EXO Squad is on Hulu. Not sure about the others.

---

Transformers Prime was pretty good tonight. Airachnid (that's how it was spelled by my cable system) was sufficiently creepy. Nice to see another Firefly alum join in the fun. Not much of an alt-mode for her, though.

I'd like to see some new Autobots from time to time. It seems like every couple of episodes a new Decepticon is added, but there haven't been any new Autobots aside from Wheeljack. Jazz or Prowl would be nice.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Delgo isn't actually terrible. It's an okay movie.

I am one of the very, very few people who saw it in the theater on opening weekend. I have my ticket laminated and everything.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    is Batman: TAS on instant watch?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Looks like it's disc-only. Which is sad.

Every day I search for Megas XLR on Netflix and other DVD sites, and every day I'm disappointed...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

Supposedly, this is the new Avatar theme. I really like it. Feels like an industrial version of the original.

bloody amazing

Huh, interesting. Kinda like Avatar Beyond. Not meant as a complaint, I think it does a decent job of communicating the whole industrial revolution thing.

Really? I hear more of a digital revolution vibe. Given the use of synthetic sound, it really can't be reminiscent of anything earlier than electrification. The main characteristic of the industrial revolution was, of course, increased industrialization, which would have probably (I'm not sure, as I've never seen an analysis on the effect of music) been an increased ability to produce metal (brass) instruments, a greater ability to produce lots of instruments (bigger bands inflating bands, and greater access allowing more people to practice more often), and an increased ability to produce complex instruments (guess when the clarinet gained all those weird valve bits that make it look like a clarinet). As such, the list of features of the romantic era of western music (basically the second half of the industrial revolution and the whole of the second industrial/technological revolution) in the wikipedia page includes
    Denser, weightier textures with bold dramatic contrasts, exploring a wider range of pitch, dynamics and tone-colours.
    Expansion of the orchestra, sometimes to gigantic proportions; the invention of the valve system leads to development of the brass section whose weight and power often dominate the texture.
    Greater technical virtuosity – especially from pianists, violinists and flautists
    Of course, the increased availability of instruments would have meant more bands, and therefore a more active music scene with greater access to music, but I can't even start to imagine what effect accelerated musical evolution would have on the eastern-themed Avatar music, and I don't want to try to figure out what effects the poor breaking into music due to the falling price of instruments had in the western context.
    I suppose I should mention the instrument-based characteristics of the first half of the industrial revolution (the classical era), but most of the changes in that period seemed to have been driven by taste (classicism in general) and economic (increasing reliance on individual patrons rather than community funding) changes.

Therefore, a straight conversion like this would probably be a cover by a big orchestra with an oversized brass section, or even a big brass band. I'd also say that there would be strong folk influences (hence my previous prediction of syncopation), but I have no idea what that implies.

While that's real-world accurate, the problems with that are three-fold:

1: The original Avatar series already used a ton of brass, especially for the Fire nation.
    2: What you're describing is, to most audiences, too subtle to really communicate OH FUCK TECHNOLOGY. Hell, much of what you posted sounds downright old-fashioned to modern ears, and I don't think that's what they'd be going after.
    3: Avatar ain't the real world. If you're going to take "industrial revolution" literally, we pretty much already got it with the fire nation last time around.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    also you're taking this way to serious

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Every day I search for Megas XLR on Netflix and other DVD sites, and every day I'm disappointed...

Oops, sorry about that. I'm probably the only person on the internet who doesn't use Netflix.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I started watching Wakfu recently, and I noticed that Rubilex pretty much stopped talking after like episode 4, and I'm on episode 6 now. Does he ever start talking again or is he pretty much just a sword after this point.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I started watching Wakfu recently, and I noticed that Rubilex pretty much stopped talking after like episode 4, and I'm on episode 6 now. Does he ever start talking again or is he pretty much just a sword after this point.

He becomes fairly important.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Oops, sorry about that. I'm probably the only person on the internet who doesn't use Netflix.

I don't use it either, but my reason is I don't think my internet connection is fast enough. I have DSL, but even YouTube buffers a lot if I happen to go on there for something. I have no interest in paying for something that buffers every twenty seconds.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Krieghund wrote: »

I don't use it either, but my reason is I don't think my internet connection is fast enough. I have DSL, but even YouTube buffers a lot if I happen to go on there for something. I have no interest in paying for something that buffers every twenty seconds.
    Netflix should work fine for you. On my connection I can stream from it in HD without a hitch and YouTube has such a crappy system that it still buffers from time to time.
    EDIT: Don't Netflix and Hulu Plus have a free week or something so you could try it out?

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Free month on Netflix, I do believe.

And of course, all the current consoles can stream Netflix(though you need a XBL Gold account on the 360).

yalborap on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do have a PS3, and every time I turn it on, the Netflix tab asks me if I want to download it. Maybe I'll just get the minimum $8.99 plan or something, I don't know.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you try out the free month, I doubt you'll be able to stop. The sheer amount of instantly available content is kind of staggering.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Rubi ends up talking quite often. Except in season 2 so far. After episode 4 we heard pretty much nothing from him until the current episode, episode 8. I'm not very good at speaking/understanding French just yet, but it seems like he's choosing not to speak to Sadlygrove. As soon as Rubi was taken by the hax shushu, he started responding again.

Dram on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

bloody amazing

While that's real-world accurate, the problems with that are three-fold:

1: The original Avatar series already used a ton of brass, especially for the Fire nation.
    2: What you're describing is, to most audiences, too subtle to really communicate OH FUCK TECHNOLOGY. Hell, much of what you posted sounds downright old-fashioned to modern ears, and I don't think that's what they'd be going after.
    3: Avatar ain't the real world. If you're going to take "industrial revolution" literally, we pretty much already got it with the fire nation last time around.

My main problem is that there is nothing in the new setting that could possibly make those sounds or do anything approaching a remix (of course, it could turn out that they do have recording technology, but I doubt it). Of course, I can't badmouth it without an alternate proposal, so I did a bit of research. Now, it's obviously going to sound a good bit like the most advanced nation in the previous era, especially when it's the only one with a toe in the later era's socio-industrial dynamic.
    Of course, there's little problem with this unless you'll be wanting more after Korra. Personally, I want to see enough generations of the series that we will be able to hear the original, folksy-natural materiel original, a Korra-era orchestral-brassy cover, and electric sound-amplified cover, and a manipulated recording-electronica/techno-autotuned cover (this one). The last series would feature Aang in a do-rag, because I said so, dammit.

Edit: it's funny how music is so dependent on sequential technology. For example, I can't think of any way the movements named could happen out of order, as you can't set up electrical systems without heavy industrialization and can't manipulate music or have anything digital without a long period of electrical development. It really seems like artistic creativity doesn't matter at all.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You...you do know it's on iTunes, right?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I watched up to episode 26 of Wakfu subbed, but I can't find any after that.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Homunculus XIHomunculus XI Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    If you try out the free month, I doubt you'll be able to stop. The sheer amount of instantly available content is kind of staggering.
    Indeed. Netflix is like video crack. I'm about to start watching A:TLA on it.

Homunculus XI on
    I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book. - Groucho Marx
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Indeed. Netflix is like video crack. I'm about to start watching A:TLA on it.

Oh, for the first time?

Heh. It's always fun to see someone stumble onto the series, get hooked on it, and wonder how the hell Nickelodeon bankrolled something THAT awesome. (I avoided the series until right after it ended because I assumed Nick action production = lame. Yes, I'm a dumbass.)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It was already mentioned once in here I think, but honestly if you haven't seen it you should really see Cat's Don't Dance. Easily one of my all time favorite animated films and it is such a shame that it didn't do well when it was released :(

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It was already mentioned once in here I think, but honestly if you haven't seen it you should really see Cat's Don't Dance. Easily one of my all time favorite animated films and it is such a shame that it didn't do well when it was released :(

I'll second that. Sure, it's easy to mistake it for uninspired crap produced by a studio that doesn't know what it's doing, but it's really very well done and charming. Not to mention a very fun ode to old-style Hollywood musicals.

And boy, did it flop. I found this on its IMDB page:

Box Office
    Budget: $32,000,000 (estimated)
    Opening Weekend: $1,212,189 (USA) (30 March 1997) (1252 Screens)
    Gross: $3,562,749 (USA) (26 May 1997)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I'll second that. Sure, it's easy to mistake it for uninspired crap produced by a studio that doesn't know what it's doing, but it's really very well done and charming. Not to mention a very fun ode to old-style Hollywood musicals.

And boy, did it flop. I found this on its IMDB page:

Box Office
    Budget: $32,000,000 (estimated)
    Opening Weekend: $1,212,189 (USA) (30 March 1997) (1252 Screens)
    Gross: $3,562,749 (USA) (26 May 1997)

Yeah it had something to do with when it was released. I think there was some other HUGE Disney production or something that released at the same time and basically it got washed under the rug.

Quite honestly one of the better examples of quality animation, writing, and characterization out there today. From what I understand they gave a lot of creative control to the artists involved with the animation, so lots of little character nuances and things made it into the production.

Great music numbers, and great staff with a wonderful little story that is genuinely funny.

It's the best little animated movie you've never seen.

The original trailer in HQ for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4SLVwTzjGI

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If I remember right, MGM also couldn't be arsed to market it for whatever reason.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If I remember right, MGM also couldn't be arsed to market it for whatever reason.

Pretty much, I was a bit young at the time, but all I remember was it being played on TV on either Cartoon Network or Disney channel (Most likely Cartoon Network in hindsight)

I was utterly entranced by the movie. Then I saw it in a bargain bin years later in a Grocery store and picked it up for $9 on a whim. Much to my surprise it holds up amazingly and now that i'm older and an animation student I can really appreciate what they accomplished with this movie.

The animation and characterization of Sawyer alone in that movie is glorious, but the rest of the cast is stellar as well.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    sometimes I think I should look into what it takes to get into marketing, since it seems like so much stuff I love dies because marketers suck at their jobs

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    sometimes I think I should look into what it takes to get into marketing, since it seems like so much stuff I love dies because marketers suck at their jobs

There's a difference between marketers sucking at their jobs and studios deciding a thing won't sell and doing zilch to promote it. Or worse, deciding they hate the product, and actively sabotaging it.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Did we know there is a Batman: Year one DTV coming? Well, there is.
    Bryan Cranston, Ben McKenzie, Eliza Dushku and Katee Sackhoff have been tapped to star as the voices in Batman: Year One, the adaptation of the Frank Miller comic book classic from Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation.

Lauren Montgomery and Sam Liu are directing the movie, the 12th entry in the successful series of DC universe animated originals. Tab Murphy wrote the script.

The feature adapts the landmark four-issue story written by Miller and drawn by David Mazzucchelli that first appeared in 1987 on the heels of Miller's seminal work, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Those tomes, along with The Watchmen, helped elevate the comics medium, changing the public's perception of the art form and influencing Hollywood writers and artists to this day.

In Year One, a young Bruce Wayne is first starting out as a costumed vigilante. He creates an early bond with Lieutenant James Gordon, whose importance in the tale makes it as much as Gordon's story as Wayne's.

Cranston is playing Gordon, while McKenzie is Wayne/Batman. Dushku voices Catwoman, while Sackhoff is Detective Sarah Essen, a Gordon love interest.

Additionally, Alex Rocco lends his pipes as crime lord Carmine Falcone.

As one of the holy grails in comic books, Year One will be closely scrutinized for faithfulness, but superhero animation veteran Bruce Timm, who is exec producing, says there is very little in the movie that isn't in the comic.

"The source material is surprisingly cinematic; it's a pretty straight forward literal retelling," he says. "Mazzucchelli's artwork is beautifully composed and we were able to refer to the comic for about 80 percent of the camera setups."

Cranston, an Emmy winner for AMC's Breaking Bad, says he initially turned down the chance to work on Year One, not even wanting to read the script. He blames it on his ignorance of the animation medium as well as the classic comics.

"I wasn't aware of this level of storytelling in animation. I confess that freely," he says. "They didn't give the characters the short shrift. I was stunned."

Batman: Year One, which will be rated PG-13, is scheduled to be released on home video in the fall but will world premiere in July at Comic-Con.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-year-one-lines-up-179942

batman-pics-2011-a-l.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gotta hand it to Cranston for admitting his ignorance of the medium. That's why he is good people.

Now someone has to sit him down for netflix/dvd marathons of various shows.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They do this comic con thing a lot don't they? Airing shit that isn't coming out for half a year or more?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    are there any cartoons on Netflix instant watch that you guys would recommend

SERIES:
    Phineas and Ferb
    Spectacular Spider-Man
    Wallace and Gromit
    Jackie Chan Adventures
    Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Also if you have any nostalgia for classic Nick there's plenty of those on there. (Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, etc)

MOVIES:
    The Iron Giant
    The Secret of Kells
    The Haunted World of El Superbeasto
    Toy Story 3
    Up
    The Princess and the Frog
    Cats Don't Dance

And if you're in the mood for something terrible there...Delgo

I'd add EXO Squad, Gargoyles, and Batman: TAS to the list. EXO Squad is on Hulu. Not sure about the others.

---

Transformers Prime was pretty good tonight. Airachnid (that's how it was spelled by my cable system) was sufficiently creepy. Nice to see another Firefly alum join in the fun. Not much of an alt-mode for her, though.

I'd like to see some new Autobots from time to time. It seems like every couple of episodes a new Decepticon is added, but there haven't been any new Autobots aside from Wheeljack. Jazz or Prowl would be nice.

For series? Invader Zim is so amazing you wont understand why it got cancelled, until you realize it was on nickelodeon, and he murdered characters every few episodes. Theres also an episode where he tears the shit out of modern media practices after 9/11

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just watched all of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic...

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

One of us! One of us!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

One of us! One of us!

I myself decided to give the show another shot and watched Sonic Rainboom last week.

I'm beginning to suspect that the primary reason MyLiPoFrisMa is so ridiculously popular is because it's the only cartoon for girls ever that isn't god awful.

Hexmage-PA on
This discussion has been closed.