As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini] - WoD of Darkness Game Over! Vampire Victory!

191011121315»

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually, Coutts, if I recall correctly, you got killed by my busdriver off of Fiaryn.
    You are Natasha, Clan Malkavian. You are one of the Kindred that live in Las Vegas. Life has been pretty good recently. However, things have changed. There is a lot of wilderness in Nevada, and that means Lupines. It seems like they have finally chosen to strike. Nothing must threaten your dominance in Vegas. While you normally abhor simply killing people, what must be done, must be done.
    You will achieve victory when your Coterie of Kindred compose half of the village or more.
    Once per day you may use one of the following powers. There is only one caveat, your entire coterie may only use 2 kills, 1 seer, and 1 guard in total.
    Dementation – By overwhelming the rational mind with insanity you can reduce someone to a gibbering mess. Select a target, they will be unable to act.
    DEMENTATION – Manipulating the mind manipulates perception. You can overwhelm the rational mind and cause confusion. Select two targets, all actions that would affect one will now affect the other, and vice versa.

One funny thing to me is that everyone started to call their powers out in all caps because I did, but I did so because it was the name of the power.

I had a great time. R_P was targeted because he was the most vocal and thus the most likely to pick up the network pieces. None of our kills were entirely random, and most were against specific targets based on activity in the thread.

What were the Werewolf and Hunter win conditions?

Heffling on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Werewolves had to kill the Vampires.
    Hunters had to kill both werewolves and hunters, I think.

So, if that's true, what would have happened to the werewolves had killed all the vampires, but the hunters were still alive?

Edit:

I mean hunters had to kill werewolves and vampires.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heffling wrote: »
    Actually, Coutts, if I recall correctly, you got killed by my busdriver off of Fiaryn.
    You are Natasha, Clan Malkavian. You are one of the Kindred that live in Las Vegas. Life has been pretty good recently. However, things have changed. There is a lot of wilderness in Nevada, and that means Lupines. It seems like they have finally chosen to strike. Nothing must threaten your dominance in Vegas. While you normally abhor simply killing people, what must be done, must be done.
    You will achieve victory when your Coterie of Kindred compose half of the village or more.
    Once per day you may use one of the following powers. There is only one caveat, your entire coterie may only use 2 kills, 1 seer, and 1 guard in total.
    Dementation – By overwhelming the rational mind with insanity you can reduce someone to a gibbering mess. Select a target, they will be unable to act.
    DEMENTATION – Manipulating the mind manipulates perception. You can overwhelm the rational mind and cause confusion. Select two targets, all actions that would affect one will now affect the other, and vice versa.

One funny thing to me is that everyone started to call their powers out in all caps because I did, but I did so because it was the name of the power.

I had a great time. R_P was targeted because he was the most vocal and thus the most likely to pick up the network pieces. None of our kills were entirely random, and most were against specific targets based on activity in the thread.

What were the Werewolf and Hunter win conditions?

Werewolves win when Vampires are eliminated

Hunters won when both werewolves and vampires were eliminated.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Werewolves had to kill the Vampires.
    Hunters had to kill both werewolves and hunters, I think.

So, if that's true, what would have happened to the werewolves had killed all the vampires, but the hunters were still alive?

Werewolves would have won and hunters would have lost.

They needed to kill off the wolves first, then eliminate the vamps.

Hunters had the hardest job.

LoserForHireX on
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Were the werewolves or hunters masoned? I know the Vampires were, but we were also the main Mafia.

Heffling on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Both hunters knew the other's character name, but no more.
    BTW,

son of a Donald duck.

I for one blame !Fiaryn, given the votes shifted off of him.

Was an attempt at a subtle callout to my hunter partner. You know, SON of a DONALD. Donaldson? Lucedes apparently didn't notice. I would have tried a more overt method the next day, but then he died :(.

And thank you for running the game Loser! Twas good.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, I'm curious. In over half the games I've been in so far, I've been Mafia (including my first, thanks Hava!). Is there any particular reason people are selected as Mafia? Or is it just that's the way the dice have landed.

Heffling on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RNG for the most part, I've been a seer in probably half the games I've played somehow.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dull villager here too. Didn't have much to contribute. :( No blood cauldroning for me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Were the werewolves or hunters masoned? I know the Vampires were, but we were also the main Mafia.

I thought long and hard about masoning the Hunters, to give them a leg up on their admittedly hard victory condition, but I decided not to.

I don't know if it would screw with balance too much.

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I dunno. With a win condition that brutal, I would have mason'd them.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Dull villager here too. Didn't have much to contribute. :( No blood cauldroning for me.

somehow, i think that's a good thing for the village, all things considered. :P

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    who was the mage?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Why did we let D019 live so fucking long. Any why did you vote for me everyday?

Being quiet keeps you below the radar and I had the perfect setup for doing it.

I voted for you so many times because if I had died I didn't want a large amount of voting data.

My original plan was to kill everyone I voted for and then say something along the lines of 'someone's being very funny'... Unfortunately, 3clipse went and actually died to the vote.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You are Logan Runs-With-Wind, Uktena Ragabash. You are one of the warriors of Gaia. The Wyrm has infested this place. Leeches prowl the streets, surviving on pain and misery. Now is the time to cleanse this place. Hopefully none of the humans get in the way, but if they do, it's just unfortunate. Nothing must stand in the way of your mission.
    You achieve victory when the vampires are eliminated.
    Once per night you may use one of the following abilities
    Thieving Talons of the Magpie – You are able to steal the powers and abilities of someone else and use them yourself. Select two targets, if any actions are used on one of them you will steal the power and use it yourself on the other instead. Make certain that you designate who will be in which position.
    Spirit Speech – You can speak with the spirits of the Umbra. They are very knowledgeable and can help inform you. Select a target, you can determine what manner of creature that they are.

I think there was not much I could do to help the village anymore than I did, having little to no leads throughout the first half of the game really hurt us. At least I seered 2 mafias, 3 if I would have survived another day.

Extermatott on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    who was the mage?

There was no mage. The dude freezing insides was the Wendigo Philodox, which is to say, a Werewolf using spirit powers.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blergh, I think I deleted my role PM when I died, but I was a combo Vig/Guard. How do I keep ending up as the guard in these things?

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I was a vig guard too.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I thought long and hard about masoning the Hunters, to give them a leg up on their admittedly hard victory condition, but I decided not to.

I don't know if it would screw with balance too much.

Well, if we'd both been on the ball we would have effectively been masoned anyways. Starting us off together would've been a small advantage and still balanced, I think.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for hosting Loserforhire! Even though the village got properly trounced. I had fun failing at analysis though!

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What's sad to me is that both Dunadan and I said after PHA/LLA that low post count mafia always get ignored. What happens this game? He does the absolute minimum posting, and I ever spent over an hour (server is busy my butt hurts) putting together post count information, all but calling out Dunadan, my ally, as Mafia, only to have everyone ignore it.

You have to participate. Putting in the minimum required effort and helping to cost your team a game isn't participating.

Heffling on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's sad to me is that both Dunadan and I said after PHA/LLA that low post count mafia always get ignored. What happens this game? He does the absolute minimum posting, and I ever spent over an hour (server is busy my butt hurts) putting together post count information, all but calling out Dunadan, my ally, as Mafia, only to have everyone ignore it.

You have to participate. Putting in the minimum required effort and helping to cost your team a game isn't participating.

Which I said as much in the IRC, possibly even before my death! And doubly so for villagers.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    welp

i was the worst-played SK ever

oh well!

Lucedes on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lucedes wrote: »
    welp

oh well!

I honestly don't know why people keep trusting me out of the blue in games.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

on the flip side however, I put in relatively little effort this game and won.

as opposed to pha/lla where I put in a lot of effort and we know how that turned out.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lucedes wrote: »
    welp

oh well!

I honestly don't know why people keep trusting me out of the blue in games.

Yeah, I saw that happening and I was like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't mean to dredge this back up, but I was out of town when it finished. Three thoughts from the game that I wanted to share:

1) Heffling - I can't say that it was definitely the post where you characterize the werewolves as Mafia that led to your being seered, but man was it a red flag for me. "Because a known monster with a victory condition that isn't the same as the village is saying "trust me"?" Don't say things like that when you directly stand to lose by calling the attention of those monsters to yourself.

2) Extermatott - Way too quick on the bandwagon. As the seer, you've gotta let Teucrian handle it and just hang back, don't expose yourself.

2) The Sir Fab kill. I told Capfalcon to hit Sir Fab. As soon as I saw that the mafia had hit him too, I immediately thought, "That's Dunadan's kill." Too bad I was too dead to relay such information. Nicely done, Duna.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I was tempted to reserve up and try to get duna voted out upon entry, but I didn't really have the time to put in full vanillager effort after that, assuming I lived. I suspect I might not have succeeded in convincing people either for whatever reason.

The temptation to ignore inactive players and stare at the words of the active people for oh-so-slightly-suspicious sounding words is hard to ignore, it seems.

I'm kinda curious why Teucrian didn't try to do some mafia-baiting as network head for the second day of network head positionship at least, or otherwise encourage some vote discussion. Just too busy?

Edit: boo, this discussion is probably long over, oh well. Was also too busy to really do postgame discussion.

Rawkking Goodguy on