As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D&D Film Thread: The Filmening

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    The second one bombed. It doesn't even count.

And on top of that, they were a boy band that happened to produce bad "hip hop." It wasn't rap. That's like telling me Chris Brown is a rapper.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And none of this matters because Eminem won a god damn Oscar! Wahlberg's never won shit!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    "On a scale of Ice Cube to [strike]Eminem[/strike] DMX, I'd say it was about a Ludacris."

EDIT: Actually, wait...was Eminem supposed to be good or bad? Because Ice Cube has both the best rapper-turned-actor movies (Friday, Barbershop) as well as the worst (Anaconda, XXX 2, Ghosts of Mars, basically everything else). I'm definitely going with DMX as the worst.

Ice Cube was also in Three Kings.

I think as rappers-turned-actor go, Mos Def probably has the highest consistent quality. His worst movies, like the Italian Job remake, are just mediocre rather than horrible, and he was in really good stuff like Monster's Ball and Bamboozled.

You're forgetting his magnum opus, 16 Blocks.

adytum on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And none of this matters because Eminem won a god damn Oscar! Wahlberg's never won shit!

That there were no Osacrs for The Corruptor is one of the world's true tragedies. Seriously though, I don't understand why the film never makes a list of top X car chases that people often do, the car chase is fucking immense.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mos Def was most definitely one of the good parts of the Hitchhiker movie.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't put Emenim on the high end of the rapper scale. He won his oscar due to the song, not his acting. I wouldn't even consider his acting because his one role was him acting out his life.

Out of all the rapper actors I would have to rank Mos Def #1 for consistency and role choice. I forget the name, but he was really good in that HBO movie about the heart doctor who discovered some new groundbreaking procedure for kids or something like that. It was starring him and that Snape guy from Harry Potter.

And I guess if you really wanted to get technical Will Smith wipes the floor with everyone. However, he hasn't rapped since he brought in the Willennium.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno man... it's kind of hard to take the opinion of someone who refers to Alan Rickman as "that Snape guy from Harry Potter"

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah, come on. That's the most recent thing I remember him as. I know he was Hans, too.

Wait...I don't think that's what you were getting at.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Ah, come on. That's the most recent thing I remember him as. I know he was Hans, too.

It's not entirely unlike walking into a church and asking who the 'cross dude' is.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

It's not entirely unlike walking into a church and asking who the 'cross dude' is.

Probably the vicar, when he finds out you don't know who Alan Rickman is

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the level of film that is discussed in this thread.

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well we were hoping to be 60 by now, unfortunately without proper rested experience we're getting killed out there.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the level of film that is discussed in this thread.

Well way to raise the level of discourse there Ebert. If there's a film you'd like to discuss, I'm sure people here would love to talk about it. We had two pages of discussion on Bad Boys vs. Bad Boys 2, so I'm sure your expertise on Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo will not go to waste.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tastyfish wrote: »

If the vicar knows of him then Rickman must have been featured in the Vatican newsletter. I must repent on the sin of not knowing his name. Such a fool I have been.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tastyfish wrote: »

If the vicar knows of him then Rickman must have been featured in the Vatican newsletter. I must repent on the sin of not knowing his name. Such a fool I have been.

See that you do.
    Though I was thinking more CoE, but seriously Alan "I'll cut your heart out with a spoon" Rickman?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sentry wrote: »
    Paul Walker is the worst thing to happen to anything ever.

He's barely tolerable in Pleasentville and that's only because he has all of three lines.

He's actually a really nice guy though. His kid goes to the same school mine do and he seems pretty low key.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    green-eyes wrote: »
    I like very simple rating systems that define each "point" rather than just leaving it a number/star/etc.

For me, the best possible rating system (for movies, at least) would be something like "See it in theaters", "Rent it", "Watch it if it's on cable", "Don't even bother". That system would work across genres, because you never have to say if 2001 is a better movie than Shawshank, or Shaun of the Dead, or any other good movie. You can just say they're all movies worth seeing, and if possible the way they were meant to be seen (on a big screen).

Of course, you can still compare movies on finer points if you're into that, but it provides a nice basic rating system which conveys important information to the potential viewer. Number systems force people to make judgments as to whether a 7 or 3 stars or whatever means they should run out and pay $10 or not and I'd rather critics just come out and say that.

That does make sense, yeah. And if the film is good enough you can say to both watch it in the theaters and buy the dvd. However, it doesn't give you a lot of information about the film... with quality/fun or academic/visceral you get some information on what type of film it is, and not just how much effort you should go to watch it. Like with 2001, I don't think I'd ever go to the effort of going to the cinema to see it, but if it's on cable I'd watch it... but that could be mistaken for saying it's a bad film. It's a great film, I just wouldn't spend money to watch it.

Yeah, it leaves out details, but I'd expect the text of the review to cover that kind of information. I'm just saying in terms of a quick glance at a review, I'd prefer to see "Go see it!" or "Run the fuck away!" instead of "3 stars", which doesn't tell me anything.

Of course, the real key is to know yourself, know what kinds of movies you like, and find critics who generally have similar tastes.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know what flic i like? Backdraft.

Love me some twitchy Kurt Russel.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Paul Walker is the worst thing to happen to anything ever.

He's barely tolerable in Pleasentville and that's only because he has all of three lines.

He's actually a really nice guy though. His kid goes to the same school mine do and he seems pretty low key.

Damn it! You've personalized him!! How the hell am I supposed to despise every single pixel of him on screen? And he as a kid??

Thanks. I've harbored this hatred of him for a decade now! Who am I supposed to hate now Vincent?? Who??

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hayden Christiansen

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hayden Christiansen

I... I kind of liked him in Jumper.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You're no longer welcome here.

Pack your desk.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Pack your desk.

I dunno man. I've seen your questionable taste in this thread and am not convinced you have either the legal or moral authority to kick anyone out here.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Pack your desk.

I dunno man. I've seen your questionable taste in this thread and am not convinced you have either the legal or moral authority to kick anyone out here.

I support his decision. I mean Christiansen based on jumper? Damn Sentry, just damn boy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Pack your desk.

I support his decision. I mean Christiansen based on jumper? Damn Sentry, just damn boy.

All I'm saying is that, all things being equal, I didn't completely despise that movie, despite how bad it was. If we are going by the rating system from a few pages ago it would easily be a 3/6, maybe even a 3/6.5

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So back to movies that are worth enjoying with actors who can act...

Thors coming out soon, on a scale of one to natalie portmans hard nipples, how excited are we?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm reluctant, as in I won't see it first week unless everyone says it's Iron Man 1 good. I'm much more excited for Captain America and Green Lantern since they showed 4 minutes of it at a recent convention.

But I would see Thor before X-Men First Class, if I had to choose.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm reluctant, as in I won't see it first week unless everyone says it's Iron Man 1 good. I'm much more excited for Captain America and Green Lantern since they showed 4 minutes of it at a recent convention.

Green Lantern looks kind of like a mess, and I like Ryan Reynolds. I'm Xmen'd out after the suck of x3 and wolverine.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

Green Lantern looks kind of like a mess, and I like Ryan Reynolds. I'm Xmen'd out after the suck of x3 and wolverine.

Did you see the new footage of GL? It went from number three on my list to number 2 easy. Captain America still holds the top spot though. That movie is just hitting all the right buttons for me.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Here's the newest stuff that was from WonderCon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-61-D3R1Q

The CGI looks a LOT better now, and Hal actually makes a worthwhile construct. It feels like a bigger scale movie now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

Pack your desk.

I think he means that the star's acting was one of the few things about the film that didn't steal souls. Really, you at least have to admit that he's never been given the opportunity to ruin a movie, so there's no way to tell how he'd fare if given something worth trying on. Even Chow Yun-fat sucked in Dragonball.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    green-eyes wrote: »
    I like very simple rating systems that define each "point" rather than just leaving it a number/star/etc.

For me, the best possible rating system (for movies, at least) would be something like "See it in theaters", "Rent it", "Watch it if it's on cable", "Don't even bother". That system would work across genres, because you never have to say if 2001 is a better movie than Shawshank, or Shaun of the Dead, or any other good movie. You can just say they're all movies worth seeing, and if possible the way they were meant to be seen (on a big screen).

Of course, you can still compare movies on finer points if you're into that, but it provides a nice basic rating system which conveys important information to the potential viewer. Number systems force people to make judgments as to whether a 7 or 3 stars or whatever means they should run out and pay $10 or not and I'd rather critics just come out and say that.

That does make sense, yeah. And if the film is good enough you can say to both watch it in the theaters and buy the dvd. However, it doesn't give you a lot of information about the film... with quality/fun or academic/visceral you get some information on what type of film it is, and not just how much effort you should go to watch it. Like with 2001, I don't think I'd ever go to the effort of going to the cinema to see it, but if it's on cable I'd watch it... but that could be mistaken for saying it's a bad film. It's a great film, I just wouldn't spend money to watch it.

Yeah, it leaves out details, but I'd expect the text of the review to cover that kind of information. I'm just saying in terms of a quick glance at a review, I'd prefer to see "Go see it!" or "Run the fuck away!" instead of "3 stars", which doesn't tell me anything.

Of course, the real key is to know yourself, know what kinds of movies you like, and find critics who generally have similar tastes.

Even just getting to know a reviewer really well can work. I don't always see eye-to-eye with Mark Kermode's taste, but depending on what he says about certain films I can gauge whether I will like it because of the differences in our tastes.

"Go see it!" or "Run the fuck away!" also only works if you share similar tastes with the person who is saying it, which is why your latter comment is correct.

Also, based on the previous rating system of quality|fun, how would those who've seen it rate Unknown? I really want to see it.

green-eyes on
    car.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've seen exactly 5 movies featuring Hayden Christensen, and he's been the same wooden, weird-cadenced, dead-eyed douchebag in every one.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just saw The Lookout. JGL consistently surpasses all my expectations, every time. A unique heist movie with a little dash of Jeff Daniels and some Memento for good measure.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Thors coming out soon, on a scale of one to natalie portmans hard nipples, how excited are we?

Goddamn I am excited for Thor.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deadfall wrote: »

Goddamn I am excited for Thor.
    I'm going to have to rate my excitement level at 'Present Day Jamie Lee Curtis' Boobs'. I'd like to see it but I'm not going to get too hyped up over it.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Hayden Christiansen

shattered glass was pretty good

mostly because peter sarsgaard makes everything he's in pretty good

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm on the Kathy Bate's floppy old titties in About Schmidt side of the fence on Thor.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I know things about the new Nintendo console.

My advice to that whole thread is: "really, don't get all that excited".

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.