As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recovering files from a failing USB flash drive

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
Anyone have any tips or links to (preferably free) software that'll recover files from a USB flash drive that's failing?

Someone brought me a drive that, when plugged into a Windows computer, pops up as an "unrecognized device". Device Manager gives a code 43 error, saying it stopped the device because it reported a problem.

As a result, the drive doesn't show up in disk management, doesn't show up as a drive on the system...so normal file recovery software doesn't work because there's no drive for it to read.

I also tried plugging it into a linux system but that produced even less in the way of results.

citizen059 on

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunately those won't work - as i said, the system doesn't recognize the device so it doesn't appear in explorer (or disk management) as a drive.

I'm pretty sure the drive is a lost cause but I want to make sure I do everything I can to try to get the data recovered.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you can boot into a Ubuntu Live CD and force it to mount you might be able to force copy some stuff over. You could also try running a chkdsk on it.

TychoCelchuuu on