As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer shuts downn during gaming

EliminationElimination Registered User regular
I just upgraded my video card from a 4870 HD 512mb to a GTX 560 ti and my comp will now shut down completely during gaming. If im not gaming everythign runs fine, it also doesnt happen in all games, only the intensive ones (crysis 2, for example.) and it doesn't happen right away, only after 10-15 mins or so. I was monitoring temps and such and they didnt go above 50c which is more than an acceptable range.

My first thought is that its the PSU, but power consuption is only marginally different between those cards. Also my PSU was designed to run 2 9800GTS's in SLI and has 4 6 pin power connectors just for that reason, Its 600watts also, as far as i know I should not be having this issue with just the single 560..its not a power hungry card.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Elimination on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Ahh ok, i think i may see part of the problem, seem there is still a bunch of ATI driver stuff lodged in there. Is it possible that the ATI drivers along side the new Nvidia ones could be clashing and causing this shutdown? I am going to reformat just to be sure.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    600 watts seems like it be a bit on the low side these days but I'm sure you know what your system needs.

For me, last time I was having issues where my system would straight up shut down when I was gaming, it was just due to overheating. I would occasionally blow out my fans and try to clean up the dust in my system but when it happened to me I started taking apart hardware and noticed that the inside of many heatsinks were completely full of lint that I couldn't really see just at a glance. Particularly in modern video cards where the heatsinks are often encased. I also took apart my PSU and holy shit was it full of lint also, like wow. I dunno if having the heatsinks in your PSU clogged can make a difference but I cleaned it out thouroughly anyway.

After I meticulously cleaned all my fans and heatsinks in my entire box, I reseated my CPU and GPU with new thermal paste and after that my problems were gone.

You shouldn't need to do a format to get rid of your old card ghost files. There are various free driver cleaners out there that will do that automatically.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    600 watts should be plenty of power for a couple 9800s. If your CPU temp isn't getting above 50, check the BIOS and make sure you don't have it set to auto-shutdown when it reaches a certain temperature.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    he said he had a 560 gtx ti. I assume he bought the psu when he had the 9800's.

Depending on what he's doing with his CPU and other hardware that may be on the board, it might be cutting it awfully close. IMO still look into the overheating thing first.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh whoops, that'll learn me to read

Still 600 watt should be plenty.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah i've been monitoring the temps, the 560 barely goes over 50c when under load, my CPU barely hits 40c, usually under. I just played Splinter Cell Conviction and it didnt shut my PC down during it, but i am getting some capacitor noise (it happened with my 4870 but a lot worse with the 4870 i just replaced.) and it was getting some mild performance issues that i dont think the 560 should get, though it is possible my CPU/Ram may be bottlenecking me for performance (AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core 2.4 ghz AM2+, 6gb DDR2 800? ) but i am scared to really push my system right now since i have a feeling the PSU is either dying or this card is causing it to cut pretty damn close to the power limit of the PSU. If i am not gaming everything is totally smooth, and i get zero capacitor noise.

Edit:
    Maybe the PSU's age has something to do with it. I looked it up and it was actually originally supposed to run 2 8800 GTX's, not 9800 GTX's. (I never ran dual cards thoug.) It's been through this system and my last one (Which i didnt own for very long and cannibalized.) So maybe its just the fact that the PSU has aged too long and its on its last legs. I get paid in 9 days, so if i can last out that long....

Elimination on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is the PSU a single rail or double rail design? Because your 560Ti may be pulling too much juice out of the one rail it is probably connected to.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Is the PSU a single rail or double rail design? Because your 560Ti may be pulling too much juice out of the one rail it is probably connected to.

I believe its single, but im not 100% sure. Its pretty old and i haven't looked at it. It was a good, quality PSU when it was purchased though. I also noticed when eyeing the PSU that one of its fans does't spin at all when the PC is in operation. I was also surprised to hear that "coil whine" from this new card, but after researching it it was mentioned heavily that coil whine often comes from the PSU and not the card. It doesn't whine as much as my 4870 though, not even close. Nothing seriously annoying and in most games it doesn't whine at all.

I tested it on Metro 2033 on max settings, ran it fine as well without bombing out or shutting down. I've also unhooked everything (My wireless card and my gigabit wired LAN adaptor, as well as my DVD drive.) to save power consumption just to be on the safe side.

Elimination on
  • Options
    DarkwyndreDarkwyndre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do a driver sweep first of all just to make sure any outstanding driver issues aren't the root cause. A 560Ti should have no problem running max settings on just about anything currently out. If you really are running first generation DDR ram at 800Mhz, that could maybe be bottlenecking, but should not lead to your computer shutting down on you.

Do you have access to another 650w or 700w PSU you can swap in to test with? If you determine it is the PSU, I'm sure any number of folks here can help you select a great new one.

Darkwyndre on
    Playstation Network ID : EasySleeze
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Darkwyndre wrote: »
    Do a driver sweep first of all just to make sure any outstanding driver issues aren't the root cause. A 560Ti should have no problem running max settings on just about anything currently out. If you really are running first generation DDR ram at 800Mhz, that could maybe be bottlenecking, but should not lead to your computer shutting down on you.

Do you have access to another 650w or 700w PSU you can swap in to test with? If you determine it is the PSU, I'm sure any number of folks here can help you select a great new one.

I do not have an extra PSU, i do have a friend who owns a local computer shop though, and i can probably walk in there PC in hand and he would probably have something i could test it with if i asked nicely. Its also not first generation DDR, its DDR2 800, 6 GB of it.

So what you are saying is i should not be getting any performance hiccups like i am currently from time to time on this system? Should i be worried about the "coil whine"? I have read that it doesn't really do anything (the whine.) and it isnt damaging my card, but at the same time is ground to RMA it if I choose to do so.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Darkwyndre wrote: »

I do not have an extra PSU, i do have a friend who owns a local computer shop though, and i can probably walk in there PC in hand and he would probably have something i could test it with if i asked nicely. Its also not first generation DDR, its DDR2 800, 6 GB of it.

So what you are saying is i should not be getting any performance hiccups like i am currently from time to time on this system? Should i be worried about the "coil whine"? I have read that it doesn't really do anything (the whine.) and it isnt damaging my card, but at the same time is ground to RMA it if I choose to do so.

I would do a driver cleaner first. I use Driver Sweeper which you can get a phyxion.net and it does a great job finding the old pieces of drivers that can mess you up. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would test the PSU. If the PSU isn't the problem, I would torture test the GPU. If you cannot find anything wrong in any of those areas ... it is possible that your processor or motherboard may be beginning to deteriorate, and those may be much harder to diagnose easily.

Darkwyndre on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok well, i solved this problem. It is DEFINITELY the PSU i know for sure now. I cracke dopen my case and put everything under load, all the coui whine and everything is coming from the PSU, both fans on the PSU are NOT running, which means it is getting no cooling.

So, i opened up my PSU and took 2 80mm fans and plunked em in, left the PSU open faced with the fans doing push/pull style cooling on either side (Similar to the set up it had before) and hooked the fans power up and started the system. Behold, no moure coil whine.

Seems the PSU was overheating under load, the only saving grace was my cases amazing airflow and cooling tha tallowed it to survive. Now that it is being directly cooled it is working just fine. This is only temporary though, i will be replacing the PSU as soon as i have the money to do so. It appears to me that the mini little "fan controller" inside the PSU has died.

Also i doubt it could have ever been a driver issue, as i just did a clean re-format 2 days ago (was my first instinct as well, and decided to clean it up.)

Edit: I dont feel safe using it like this, even if it is working it just looks too jury rigged, going to unhook/remove the PSU and just wait till i can get a replacement, i can use my laptop for now.

Elimination on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How much are you looking to spend on a new PSU?

Just in case you didn't already have something in mind. Well, and possibly if you did, if what you have in mind is terrible and we have to intervene.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alecthar wrote: »

Just in case you didn't already have something in mind. Well, and possibly if you did, if what you have in mind is terrible and we have to intervene.

I have nothing particular i mind. I've heard OCZ PSU's suck so i will avoid those. But I have nothing in particular, i dont want to spent $150 or something crazy like that but i'd like a decent 650+ watter.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I have nothing particular i mind. I've heard OCZ PSU's suck so i will avoid those. But I have nothing in particular, i dont want to spent $150 or something crazy like that but i'd like a decent 650+ watter.

IMHO, PSU and Case are the two most critical places to avoid cutting corners.

Darkwyndre on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I've been recommending the Antec True Power New 650W a lot in the Computer Build Thread. It's rock solid and priced very competitively at $85 after shipping, especially when you consider that it's partially modular. Well, assuming you're in the US, which I suppose isn't a safe assumption.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I've been recommending the Antec True Power New 650W a lot in the Computer Build Thread. It's rock solid and priced very competitively at $85 after shipping, especially when you consider that it's partially modular. Well, assuming you're in the US, which I suppose isn't a safe assumption.

I'm in Canada, we get newegg.ca here. So they probably have this on there too.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Antec unit is more expensive on the Canadian side. I'd say go with this Corsair.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171037

Or this one. It's a bit more expensive, but has the bronze 80 rating and is fully modular and is very quiet (I've got the Silent Pro Gold 1000w myself).

Darkwyndre on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone happen to know how long the CPU fan cable are on any of those PSU's? I ask because my awesome case has the power supply on the bottom. And the cable strings across the video card and gets dangerously close to the CPU fan spinning. My video has been getting corrupted in 3d games and then hardlocking and shutting down. I'm trying to narrow it down to the video card, PSU, or cpu. It sucks not being able to play games.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    bob, also check your RAM sticks. I had a similar video problem when gaming at one time, and it turned out to be a ram stick that wasnt properly seated. Faulty ram or improperly seated ram can cause a bunch of problems that may seem like they are coming from elsewhere. Especially check the last stick in your set, with my issue (not this issue in this thread though.) the computer was hardlocking during gaming, and i figured out it was the last ram slot, and it was locking because the computer would try to access said ram under load (and only under serious load, like gaming!) and it would shit bricks.

Just a thought.

Elimination on