As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lightening a Black Jacket?

JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently found a black spring/field/casual/whatever-you-wanna-call-it jacket in the back of my closet

It actually fits me, I'm just thinking I'd like it better if it were like a medium grey. is there any way to lighten it up that doesnt use bleach?

If it matters, the shell and lining are 100% cotton, and theres trim at the collar and cuffs that the tag says are 100% polyester

Joolander on

• Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rit sells a dye remover alongside their dyes, you might try that.
    Black dye is tricky though. It *may* lighten to gray. It is just as likely to lighten to a brown or a green or a weird purple color.
    It is unlikely that the cotton and the poly will react the same way no matter what you do. You may not be able to change the color of the poly at all.
    Is there visible stitching on the jacket? That is also unlikely to react the same way as the cotton. Most industrial threads are a poly or a poly blend and are meant to stay whatever color they were spun in forever.
    I would advise against lightening it unless you are prepared for the possibility that the experiment could go horribly wrong.
    Best case scenario, you get a grayish jacket with darker grey stitching and trim on it.
    if you really think you'll never wear the jacket unless it's some other color than black, then go for it.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah I guess I can get used to the black. plus it'd probably look all splotchy and junk even if it did come out the right color

not worth it, unless someone can think of a better way. thanks for the advice :)

Joolander on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Washing it repeatedly and sun exposure?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00