As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A drunk Chinese dude said an earthquake would rip Taiwain in half on 5/11/11

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.holyblasphemy.net/earthquake-and-tsunami-scheduled-to-rip-taiwan-in-half-5112011-says-fortune-teller/articles/culture
one local fortune teller is taking it a step further: he’s predicted that a powerful earthquake will virtually destroy Taiwan on May 11th, 2011

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20110429000016&cid=1103
he announcement came after a self-titled "Teacher Wang," calling himself a feng shui master, published an article on his blog on the udn.com platform. The article forecast a catastrophic, destructive earthquake and said that a "doomsday" earthquake measuring 14 on the Richter scale would hit Taiwan on May 11.
Internet users were citing the forecast made by "Teacher Wang," a business operator of a company in Taipei, who said that a massive earthquake would strike Taiwan at exactly 10:42:37 am on May 11. He made the prediction based on the Yi Jing, or the Book of Changes, which is based on the concept that all things are undergoing constant change.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/227943-Taiwan-Doomsday-Prophet-s-Blog-Sparks-Panic
Teacher Wang" suggested people live in such containers to survive the disaster, which he said would kill millions of people and split the island in half.

So, in only a handful of hours the most powerful earthquake of all time is set to hit Taiwan and pretty much obliterate it. People are following this guy's teachings and are preparing. The government is even going after him because of how he is scaring the public.

With May 21 just around the corner today's events could set the stage for the end times and really set people into a frenzy if they come true.

I guess all we can do now is wait for 10:42 Taiwan time and see if it goes down.

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Teacher Wang?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll be laughing the other side of my face if he's right I suppose.

Though, scientifically, I think it's impossible for a 14 richter scale to occur.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Teacher Wang?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll be laughing the other side of my face if he's right I suppose.

Though, scientifically, I think it's impossible for a 14 richter scale to occur.

WITNESS AS THE PLANET EXPLODES.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually I was going to make a joke about why couldn't he be happy just pushing it to 11, but apparently the Richter Scale has no upper limit.

So North and South Taiwan? Twain? The Free Democratic Peoples Republic of New Greater Middle Outer Taiwan and Taiwan? Now that we have 2 do we get a tiny island called Eggroll?

Detharin on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy crap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

This crater was created by a 12.55 (due to a asteroid crashing into the earth but still).

There was a STARQUAKE that registered a 32 though. Must have been obscene to be on that star.

Daxon on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    poor cheela civilization, it was only weeks/eons old depending on your point of view

override367 on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it's normally quite an interesting experience to be on a star regardless of seismic activity.

There was some dipshit in here who was predicting earthquakes in Christchurch based on phases of the moon, with such wonderfully accurate error margins as "two weeks either side of the full moon". And people still listened to him.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thankfully, civilization being rational, we can finally discount doom-sayers once and for all once this and May 21 pass without incident.

ONCE AND FOR ALL

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As much as i would love to discount Sayers of Doom and live in a happy little bubble where nothing at all could bring about the downfall of civilization Duke Nukem Forever is due to be released in a little over a month, and it has been stated "Nothing short of an act of god will delay it."

As such the gauntlet has been thrown and if you, like me, have any sense you will spend the next month hiding under your blanket, jumping at the slightest noise, and living on tap water and long forgotten M&M's discovered under the couch.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can see the world ending and Gearbox being so committed in their determination to have it actually launch that they rebuild civilization themselves just so it can be released

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY-roYPKWIE

Apparently Nostradamus had the 11th on his radar as well:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread701339/pg1
    At first I did not pay any attention to this date, much more so after I read this:

NOSTRADAMUS QUATRAIN #9 - 83 (Henry C. Roberts version)

The sun being in the 20th of Taurus, the earth shall so quake,

That it shall fill and ruin the great theatre;

The air, the heaven, and the earth shall be so obscured and troubled,

That unbelievers shall call upon God and his saints.

In the above quatrain, Nostradamus gives us an astrological date for this earthquake's occurrence. Of course the so-called science of Astrology is no longer taught in this modern world.

Indeed, even the great Erika Cheetham herself mistakenly gives the date of the event as April 10th, when any good student of astrology knows that

the sun passes through the astrological sign of Taurus on the 10th and 11th of May each year.

Now we have this Youtube movie showing a pretty exact planetary alignment on May 11th of 2011....

www.youtube.com... - this is very clear and this is the biggest alignment of 2011 as far as I understand. Coinciding perfectly with Nostradamus prediction 500 years ago - can it be a coincidence??.. I doubt it.

Then we have the Italian deceased scientist causing panic in Rome today because of his prediction that Rome would be destroyed on May 11th 2011.

To add fuel to the fire I can see that new comet Elenin aligns with the Sun and Uranus on Wednesday(11th).....

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can see the world ending and Gearbox being so committed in their determination to have it actually launch that they rebuild civilization themselves just so it can be released

Only for an alien invasion to destroy civilization once again.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    <done in a fake news caster voice>
    In an unprecedented show of what can only be described as suicidal fandom the alien invaders were driven away today by what was described by one eye witness as "A horde of Duke Nukem." As details begin to emerge it appears that thousands of individuals upon learning that the alien attack would result in yet another delay of the much maligned "Duke Nukem Forever" took to the streets. Amid scattered gunfire, and chants of "Come get some" and "No one steals our chicks and lives" the alien invaders unprepared for such level of violent resistance have left earth threatening to return "When it's Done."

In other news Bruce Campbell has been found dead today in his Jacksonville Oregon home of an apparent self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Early reports state a note was found saying only "I dont want to live on this planet anymore."

Back to you Conny
    <end fake announcer voice>

Detharin on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    with such wonderfully accurate error margins as "two weeks either side of the full moon".

:lol:

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm scheduled to leave for Taiwan on the 14th to visit my family.

Good thing I have traveller's insurance....I guess?

This is weird, but hey, D&D and all. This is less funny to me because the last time I visited Taiwan, the 921 Earthquake happend literally the day after I arrived, the second deadliest earthquake in the island's recorded history. I dislike travelling.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder what excuse this guy will have when there's no earthquake.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blurbl wrote: »

God changed his mind?

It's worked for every other doomsday prophet.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did I wander into SE++?

Magus` on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »

God changed his mind?

It's worked for every other doomsday prophet.

I always liked "By telling you about it, it was prevented, so I saved your lives. We take cash and/or paypal."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maybe all these predictions of doomsday and the rapture are actually pre-emptive measures. Maybe the people have read the part in Revelations where "you will not know the hour or time of armageddon", and they think that by repeatedly predicting it, they're staving off the end of the world?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maybe all these predictions of doomsday and the rapture are actually pre-emptive measures. Maybe the people have read the part in Revelations where "you will not know the hour or time of armageddon", and they think that by repeatedly predicting it, they're staving off the end of the world?

Sounds like a hangman's paradox to me.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Sounds like a hangman's paradox to me.

If we take the bible literally, it's actually not a bad argument.

You know, compared to most arguements that take the bible literally.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What happens on May 21?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus puts Taiwan back together again, dragging one island to the other with his teeth like Jack Lalaine.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Jesus puts Taiwan back together again, dragging one island to the other with his teeth like Jack Lalaine.
    Hmm... Jack Lalaine did just recently die...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

That has already been explained for next week's end of the world/rapture:

http://www.familyradio.com/graphical/literature/nomanknows/nomanknows.html

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Therefore, regardless of how brilliant or how learned a theologian or Bible student might have been, or how diligently they studied the Bible or faithfully served Christ, it was impossible to learn from the Bible the timetable for the end of the world. Anyone who claimed he knew the time of the end was always wrong.

Nevertheless...
    He goes on to predict the exact day of the end. :lol:

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    with such wonderfully accurate error margins as "two weeks either side of the full moon".

:lol:

It really was that silly.

However, he was taken very seriously by a lot of people and they followed his advice, so far as they could.
    My mother even called off a business trip because of this guy, which was quite a shock to the family (we had assumed she was a lot more rational than that up till then).

I guess people want to believe that someone can help them avert risk, even if that person is clearly a charlatan and when you live in a place like Christchurch where there had been two massive quakes, lots of aftershocks and many dead, well, more so

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thankfully, civilization being rational, we can finally discount doom-sayers once and for all once this and May 21 pass without incident.

ONCE AND FOR ALL

I'm going to be really pissed if the world DOES in fact end on the 21st.

Mostly because I'm moving on the 20th and dammit if I'm gonna make all that effort to move furniture I'd better have more than 24 hours to enjoy being in a new place.

Also, I can't help but associate Ken Jeong's face with the name 'Teacher Wang'.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hilariously there's not just one cataclysm going to happen, it seems, but two! That news (I use this term very loosely) link earlier is referring to some Italian seismologist that argued that earthquakes are caused by planetary alignment (that ol' gem), and that Rome is gonna get the shit knocked out of it tomorrow.

Or you've got Uncle Wang telling us Taiwan will NO LONGER EXIST happening tomorrow.

I suppose in the natural order of things there's a technical possibility that one of these events might occur. CHOOSE!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there actually any scientific proof of planetary alignment affecting the earth beyond sea levels?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Detharin wrote: »
    Actually I was going to make a joke about why couldn't he be happy just pushing it to 11, but apparently the Richter Scale has no upper limit.

So North and South Taiwan? Twain? The Free Democratic Peoples Republic of New Greater Middle Outer Taiwan and Taiwan? Now that we have 2 do we get a tiny island called Eggroll?

I like the idea of Taiwan being ripped in twain

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there actually any scientific proof of planetary alignment affecting the earth beyond sea levels?

I can't imagine there is, unless there's a serious flaw in our understanding of gravity (hint: there isn't). It's a cool thing that happens sometimes, but it has no real effect.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

Well that's actually a good new name for Taiwan after it has had its shit wrecked, one of the a's fell into the ocean and the W is in a different spot

override367 on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, shit. Southern California launched into the sea some years back and that was only a 10.5.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Well that's actually a good new name for Taiwan after it has had its shit wrecked, one of the a's fell into the ocean and the W is in a different spot

Every once in a while it's good to shake things up like that.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Lol

I imagine the sun exploding would be 14 on the richter scale.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Hmm... Jack Lalaine did just recently die...

Fine! Michiko Malandro then!
    Taramoor wrote: »

Every once in a while it's good to shake things up like that.

The Republic of China and Republic of Taiwan. There, real easy.

Actually, as the political geography is now, if you divided it north and south, that's how it would end in many respects. Then, probably, the Taiwan District of the People's Republic of China and the Republic of Taiwan.

Unfortunately, this would mean Taichung would be under the water. Plan sucks.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A little over an hour to go.. this is exciting.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wonder if there's a livestream...

Tomanta on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Less than 20 minutes to go. I wonder when this guy comes up wrong if he'll be stoned by his "followers" or if he'll leave town.

I'm kinda hoping it's stoned. We need less loons like this on the Earth.

samurai6966 on