As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F-Stop In The Name Of Love [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also, please make those a tiny bit smaller? Shouldn't have to scroll four ways to see one shot.

And yeah, just extend the canvas size however many pixels, whatever color.

Edit- On another note, there are some issues with exposure, try not to burn out highlights, and try not to have shadows too dark to where it kills detail.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have ps7, I use canvas size.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    deer_01.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    deer_01.jpg

After a bit of consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I love this photo.

:^:

Sheri on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    holy fuck Jamp, just saw you on Wooster.

NICE!!!!!!

Jonis on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    534167179_654db6e5a6_o.jpg

534167197_02e91d95f6_o.jpg

I put my camera down for a second, and the lens got so fucking dusty. I didn't realize it till I had to spend an hour with corrections when I got home. Hope it was worth it.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That is basically awesome.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    ProxyManProxyMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    daaang bread, that first shot has some seriously amazing colors. I think the clincher for me is the mixture of that bit of blue in with the glorious orange sky; 'tis a beaut.

So guys, I snagged a nice "part time job" as the photographer for my 'neighborhood,' which is more like a subdivisionesque ranch place with a huge nature preserve of like 300 acres. Lots are around 1-5 acres; my parents' is 3.5 (I think? maybe 2.5).

Anyway, parents are chums with the one guy who sells the lots, and he has me shooting around for photos to be put in ads and on the website, for $10/hr. Field work and post work time. So that's pretty rad all by itself.

Then, I've just recently gotten the Sigma 10-20mm lens, and the quality and wideness (width?) of this glass is a nice, welcome change from my previous Tamron 18-200, which I got last year for my trip to Italy. I shot with the sigma for the first real time today, for 2 or 3 hours, and man oh man, is it wonderful.

I've also been shooting in RAW a lot, and doing most of my editing in RAW. It's really quite good once you get used to everything and realizing just what everything does. The brightness'shadow control and saturation adjustments are way, wayyy better than just regular photoshop, at least for my uses.

Alright, enough words, here are some shots:

534195140_ed279d406d_o.jpg

534296481_fc11bd4341_o.jpg

534296635_2eae708350_o.jpg

534296235_554aa3fc2b_o.jpg

534296301_a193ead270_o.jpg

These are all from my first shoot, five days ago, and I'm not really too satisfied with any of them except fo rmaybe the first two. But they're flowers, so meh. Anyway, the shots from today's shoot with the new lens were much better, and I'll post them soon.

edit: the quality on some of these is kinda botched because of flickr's shitty resizing, sorry.

ProxyMan on
    i put on my robe and wizard hat
  • Options
    KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

This Photo is just plain awesome.

How did you get such a fiery sky? Must be a photoshop job, I dont believe that is the real sky for the image either.

But then again I am not always right.

Kworn on
  • Options
    ProxyManProxyMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BOTP'd
    ProxyMan wrote:
    daaang bread, that first shot has some seriously amazing colors. I think the clincher for me is the mixture of that bit of blue in with the glorious orange sky; 'tis a beaut.

So guys, I snagged a nice "part time job" as the photographer for my 'neighborhood,' which is more like a subdivisionesque ranch place with a huge nature preserve of like 300 acres. Lots are around 1-5 acres; my parents' is 3.5 (I think? maybe 2.5).

Anyway, parents are chums with the one guy who sells the lots, and he has me shooting around for photos to be put in ads and on the website, for $10/hr. Field work and post work time. So that's pretty rad all by itself.

Then, I've just recently gotten the Sigma 10-20mm lens, and the quality and wideness (width?) of this glass is a nice, welcome change from my previous Tamron 18-200, which I got last year for my trip to Italy. I shot with the sigma for the first real time today, for 2 or 3 hours, and man oh man, is it wonderful.

I've also been shooting in RAW a lot, and doing most of my editing in RAW. It's really quite good once you get used to everything and realizing just what everything does. The brightness'shadow control and saturation adjustments are way, wayyy better than just regular photoshop, at least for my uses.

Alright, enough words, here are some shots:

534195140_ed279d406d_o.jpg

534296481_fc11bd4341_o.jpg

534296635_2eae708350_o.jpg

534296235_554aa3fc2b_o.jpg

534296301_a193ead270_o.jpg

These are all from my first shoot, five days ago, and I'm not really too satisfied with any of them except fo rmaybe the first two. But they're flowers, so meh. Anyway, the shots from today's shoot with the new lens were much better, and I'll post them soon.

edit: the quality on some of these is kinda botched because of flickr's shitty resizing, sorry.

Oh, yeah, and crits and comments and whatnot are totally welcome.

ProxyMan on
    i put on my robe and wizard hat
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanks, guys.
    Kworn wrote: »

This Photo is just plain awesome.

How did you get such a fiery sky? Must be a photoshop job, I dont believe that is the real sky for the image either.

But then again I am not always right.

Polarizer filter + there at the right time, right place, and right day. The clouds yesterday were really expressive and plentiful, and the sky was particularly deep blue. Use a polarizer filter when the clouds are already very defined, and you get something quite surreal. Couple that with the sun setting, and well, you get something unbelievable.

The only photoshopping I did with this thing was basic corrections (ie contrast, blacks, saturation, etc.), resizing, and some dust removal. The sky is as it was when I shot it, it is not a composite image. Notice the slight reflection of orange light on the water and the wet sand, and how the eastern side of the buildings are in shadow, as they would be if direct western light were hitting their western faces.

Proxy - How's the vignetting on the 10-20mm on a film camera? Have you tried it on one? I'm thinking about getting the 10-20mm as my next lens, it looks plenty sharp and a really wide angle. Congrats on landing that job. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Also, RAW is fucking great. I love how you can control the blacks right there and absolutely all the corrections you'd need to make are laid out in a slider format. On top of that, exposure and white balance corrections. Amazing.

There's a great quality about that first shot, but I'm not too sure about the second. I think it's because of the change in background color once you get to the top of the flower.

On a completely unrelated note, I think I'm having some sort of an allergic reaction to the developer in my school's darkroom. I'm getting some weird red marks on my hands. Am I dying? I don't want to die before I finish my prints today.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's chemicals, so yeah they will eat away at your skin if you don't bother to wash your hands. Does your darkroom have tongs?

Jonis on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jonis wrote: »
    holy fuck Jamp, just saw you on Wooster.

NICE!!!!!!

awesome eh? :D good stuff people all very pleasing.

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Jonis wrote: »
    It's chemicals, so yeah they will eat away at your skin if you don't bother to wash your hands. Does your darkroom have tongs?

I take care to dry my hands whenever they get wet from touching any of the chemicals in the darkroom, then wash my hands once I get out. Yeah, we have tongs but sometimes some idiot puts the developer tongs into the stop bath by mistake and they gotta be washed, so sometimes it's inevitable to get your hands in some of the chemicals. The red marks started going away though so it's no big deal. My professor said he gets the same thing sometimes. And to my knowledge, developer isn't acidic, fixer is.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    t bread of wonder you wouldn't happen to have a 1280x800 version of that beach... would you? It's pretty awesometastic man.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yes, I do actually. Made it for my laptop wallpaper. I'm gonna leave that link working for a little while in case any one else wants it. And if anyone has any other size they'd like, feel free to ask.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I <3 U

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    Gravity and PunishmentGravity and Punishment Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's been a long while since I've posted, but I'm still taking pictures, I assure you.

TheSea.jpg

ThePiercopy.jpg

Abstraction.jpg

AFigureintheDistanceC.jpg

Gravity and Punishment on
    "I assure you, your distaste only reveals your ignorance."
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for that, bread. :P

Sheri on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1688.jpg

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1688.jpg

Nice what a great horrific looking tree.

Would be good to see a filter on this one, maybe red?

Kworn on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, if I see you quote the person directly above you and include all of the images in the bloody quote one more time, you will bloody well regret it, Kworn. There's absolutely no need for it other than to increase page load times.

Grifter on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Actually I don't know if it really increases load times, but it's just so damn annoying.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    How about this? It increases my scroll time.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    Seriously, if I see you quote the person directly above you and include all of the images in the bloody quote one more time, you will bloody well regret it, Kworn. There's absolutely no need for it other than to increase page load times.

Thank you, Grifter. It was driving me nuts, I wasn't sure it was proper to say something about it. :o

Sheri on
  • Options
    DannersDanners Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    First time posting some of my photos...

Zero Photoshop. Just did a very long exposure with my camera on a tripod.

01.jpg
    03.jpg

Danners on
    UsChickens.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hiro?

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Here are some pictures I took with my shitty digicam.
    berries_800x600.JPG

--

daisies_800x600.JPG

--

gastowers_800x600.JPG

--

greenlake_800x600.JPG

--

nodogs_800x600.JPG

--

pond_800x600.JPG

--

trail_800x600.JPG

It should be noted that, to a large extent, I don't know what I'm doing when taking photos.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

ege02 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My first attempt at wildlife photography.

HAY_GUYS_by_DangerDan.jpg

I_hate_mondays_by_DangerDan.jpg

Oh animals, you so crazy.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kworn wrote: »
    Nice what a great horrific looking tree.

Would be good to see a filter on this one, maybe red?

ha, that WOULD be cool.

It's called "the Mother of the Forest" and is in Calaveras Big Trees State Park, California

I would not get into a fight with that tree, i think it would kick my ass

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

Thank you, Grif.

536343162_d303bae984_o.jpg

536343166_21d7c3704f_o.jpg

My first two prints, ever. Forgive the poor scan quality. Currently don't have a real scanner.
    Did like 6-7 more today, I'll have em tomorrow when they've dried.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fiber?

Jonis on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yep. My professor has some sort of personal grudge against resin-coated paper.

bread of wonder on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yep. My professor has some sort of personal grudge against resin-coated paper.

Probably because fiber is 5,000% better than RC!

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What BS. I don't even notice a difference when it's 8x10, just that it costs more money.

Jonis on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You're doing it wrong then. Fiber has more tonal range and deeper shadows than RC.

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I finally got around to ghetto-scanning some shots from my Intro to Photo final project.

They're all 35mm Ilford Delta 100 printed on Ilford 11x14" glossy fiber paper.

high1.jpg

high2.jpg

high4.jpg

high3.jpg

saltiness on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    gravity: I'm liking the soft blue and the very washed out colors in that first picture you have.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    DannersDanners Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tini wrote: »
    Hiro?

Nope, Neo (if the question was directed at me of course :P)

Danners on
    UsChickens.png
This discussion has been closed.