As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] League of [Redacted]'s Bad Opinions

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Question: Do items of the same type have bonuses that additively stack?
    Yes, with some notable exceptions:

1. The bonus is a "UNIQUE" bonus. For instance, the passive effect from Infinity Edge- Critical hits now deal 250% damage instead of 200% damage- does NOT stack. So if you somehow got the ~8k gold necessary to farm up two Infinity Edges, you would not have Critical hits deal 300% damage, they'd only deal 250% damage. However, you would still have the +160 Attack Damage and +50% Crit Strike that both Infinity Edges give.

2. A "UNIQUE" bonus that's transfered from an item with its own "UNIQUE" bonus. (this to my knowledge only applies to Manamune/Archangel Staff.

The Manamune and Archangel Staff are two items that are based off the same "base" item, the Tear of the Goddess. The Tear of the Goddess has a unique passive wherein it gives +4 mana each time an ability is used, and both the Manamune and Archangel Staff keep that passive. However, if you were to build both a Archangel Staff AND a Manamune, you would not gain +8 mana per ability used- the abilites are considered UNIQUE even though they're different items, because they're both built out of the Tear of the Goddess, which is similar to itself (obviously).

3. Items with slow effects only take the "highest" slow when computing your slow percentage. This to my knowledge only affects Phage/Trinity Force/Frozen Mallet (ed: this also applies to Bilgewalter Cutlass/Hextech Gunblade and Warden's Mail/Randuin's Omen). When an item with a slow percentage is built, if it builds into another item which also slows, and you have both items, only the item with the "highest" slow is considered the active slow. In other words, Phage has a 25% chance to slow for 30% for 3 seconds; it builds into Frozen Mallet, which has a 40% slow for 2.5 seconds; the Phage also builds into Trinity Force, which has a 25% chance to slow for 35% for 2.5 seconds. If you had all 3 items in your inventory, and were lucky enough to proc all three items on one hit, it would only take the "Frozen Mallet" slow as the "true" slow and slow the target only for 40% for 2.5 seconds (I'm not absolutely sure that's how Frozen Mallet and TriForce interact but am positive that's how Phage and TriForce and Phage and FM interact so I might be wrong)

4. Unique Auras are Unique and only apply to a champ once. So for instance, if I had an abyssal scepter it would apply it's -20 magic resist debuff to every enemy champ near it. Unique Auras do not stack, so getting any other abyssals on any other teammates would be a waste of gold.

HOWEVER, IN THE CASE OF POSITIVE AURAS: Positive Auras affect your own team with their positive effects, and also do not stack. However, the "holder" of the aura item, whilst getting the buff themselves from the aura item, are not COUNTED as receiving the aura item for the purposes of determining uniqueness. This means that for AURA ITEM HOLDERS ONLY, they can "double stack" aura items with a teammate.

Example 1:

Me (Rent), AhiMahi, and Minerva are on a team together. I decide to get an Aegis of the Legion (+270 Health
    +18 Armor
    +24 Magic Resistance
    UNIQUE Aura: +12 Armor, +15 Magic Resist and +8 Attack Damage to nearby allied units. (1200 range)). I DO get the benefits of the Aura from my Aegis, so I effectively have 270 Health, 30 Armor, 39 MR, and 8 AD from the Aegis. AhiMahi and Minerva receive +12 Armor, +15 MR and +8 AD from my Aegis Buff when near me.

Example 2:

Me (Rent), AhiMahi, and Minerva are on a team together. Minerva AND I decide to get an Aegis of the Legion.

We BOTH get the passive Aegis Aura benefits, in ADDITION to our own unique Aura benefits. HOWEVER, we ALSO get the OTHER'S aura benefit from their Aegis because our own Aura item is not counted as unique for the purposes of "UNIQUE" aura calculation. So, in other words, when AhiMahi, Minerva and I are next to each other, Minerva and I both have the +12 Armor, +15 MR, and +8 AD Aura buff (for an effective +24 Armor, +30 MR, and +16 AD buff), whilst AhiMAhi only receives it once (for +12 Armor, +15 MR, and +8 AD)

Example 3:

Me (Rent), AhiMahi, and Minerva are on a team together. All three of us decide to get an Aegis of the Legion.

All three of us receive the passive Aegis Aura benefits, in addition to ONE AND ONLY ONE OTHER PERSON'S unique Aura benefits. (Think like, Rent gets the buff from both himself and AhiMahi, but not Minerva's. Ahi gets it from himself and Minerva, but not Rent's, and Minerva gets it from both himself and Rent, but not Ahi's.) This means all three of us have +24 Armor, +30 MR, and +16 AD when grouped together.

ED : forgot these, adding for completeness
    5. Attack Speed stacks additively and caps at 2.5 attacks per second. This takes into effect any runes, masteries, buffs, abilities or Items you might have to hit that cap and any over it has no effect.

6. Tenacity's bonuses are unique in that it only counts the highest Tenacity bonus (but, since the three items besides Mercury Treads (Cloak and Dagger, Eleisa's Miracle, Moonflair Spellblade) all have the same Tenacity bonus of +25, this in effect means that the highest Tenacity you CAN have is +35, and that is from Mercury Treads.)

7. CDR's bonuses cap at 40% CDR. This takes into effect any runes, masteries, buffs, abilities or items you might have to hit that cap and any over it has no effect.

And i think that covers how unique buffs work goddamn that's a lot of words

Rent on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright so I've been doing some fiddling with Mordekaiser builds.

Lich Bane and Hextech Gunblades are amazing.

His Q hits like a truck and you basically are unkillable since you can just Ult someone and be back to near full health with full armor.

I easily 1v3'd a Vlad, Xin and MF doing this.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm new too, here is what I've learned in the past few days:

Recommended items seem fine, but there's a lot of adapting you can do. I've been learning Garen, and the recommended items are all pretty basic in the things they do... some of the non-recommends are better at slowing, ganking or tanking and it is definitely worth it to know when to focus on those items vs. certain teams.

I think it's important to get a feel for if the enemy team is balanced/heavy physical/heavy magic/etc. ... think... not quite sure. But it helps me know what items to get.

Guides for individual heroes are everywhere. Lots of forums threads are like "This hero sucks." "No they don't" "blah blah blah"

This.

This so hard.

Most people only know one build that they looked up online, and never deviate from it. This is (one of) the mark(s) of a truly terrible player.

It takes a while to know how to itemize against certain teams, and that just comes from experience. But if you have an enemy team stacking armor, get some armor penetration or reduction. Same if they have a lot of magic resist.

Get health and armor against physical damage teams, and health and magic resist against magic damage teams. Look at the death recap when you die to see what's doing the most damage to you and try to figure what item can best counter it.

Thanks. This makes me feel a lot better. Leaaaaaaarning!

Also yeah, I noticed you can easily tab and see what the enemy has for items. If they have lots of armor, I need to get armor penetration on Garen or not plan to nuke those heroes. Skill builds seem fairly steady, though vs. some teams I prioritize my spring and hit vs. my spinny spin spin. Items are where the magic happens.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    snip snip snip

See. There you go being all useful and shit again. You should stop doing that if you don't think people should listen to you!

Priest on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm new too, here is what I've learned in the past few days:

Recommended items seem fine"

Mmmmmm....not so much. The build order is generally wrong and emphasis is given to the wrong items, usually

Also starting doran's blade is bad for most new players, since it necessitates being a lot more active in your lane than you're used to being and also requires you to push your lane to be effective, which is something new players shouldn't be doing, generally

ed: also just fyi Rumble remains a champ that's so stupid to faceroll with

running 21 in defense and 9 in util it's like oh wow hey i take no damage from enemy minions and oh hey i'm going to do a shitload of damage in yo face, have fun

Rent on
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey guys, roku is streaming for the first time in a long while

Edit: and he's duo queueing with Tree

EVERYONE IF BOB WAS IN WITH THEM THE INTERNETS WOULD EXPLODE.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    just lost a 4v5 too.

on the team of 5

Feldorn on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Recommended items are great when you have no idea what you are doing. Knowing where, when, and how to deviate lets you gain gold equal to the amount you would of wasted by itemizing in a worse way,

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Feldorn wrote: »
    just lost a 4v5 too.

on the team of 5

Wow, just wow. I've never seen this happen. I once has a 4v5 go to 60 mins when I was on the 4 side, but never won one.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    just lost a 4v5 too.

on the team of 5

Wow, just wow. I've never seen this happen. I once has a 4v5 go to 60 mins when I was on the 4 side, but never won one.

I can one up this story

lost a 3v5

AS FIVE

Me, Zen, Pip, and two other guys

Rent on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    just lost a 4v5 too.

on the team of 5

i've lost those before, when your duo lanes play really passive against teemo until he can just kite and double kill them.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    speaking of TF earlier, what's a good way to build him? last time I played him was literally the day I started playing because he was free and I was clueless.

I know he can do ad/as or ap but I dunno what's what or which is more useful for him

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    just lost a 4v5 too.

on the team of 5

I've been on the 4 person team and won. It takes some bad players on the 5-man and you need to do it quick. If it goes to 60min you've lost any level advantage or creep score advantage you had mid game.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've won 4v5 before on the 4 team. You gotta get ahead early

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey guys, roku is streaming for the first time in a long while

Edit: and he's duo queueing with Tree

EVERYONE IF BOB WAS IN WITH THEM THE INTERNETS WOULD EXPLODE.

I am so mad I'm at work right now.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    speaking of TF earlier, what's a good way to build him? last time I played him was literally the day I started playing because he was free and I was clueless.

I know he can do ad/as or ap but I dunno what's what or which is more useful for him
    my hybrid build is this ->

sheen -> rageblade -> nashor's -> lifesteal scepter (into wriggles or bloodthirster after defense item) -> defense item (banshee's usually, if not GA or something clever).

I mix it up every now and then with Malady in there, but basically sheen -> rageblade -> nashor's is staple.

edit: these are old pics of mine with this build. old old old. gonna play a tf game right now actually.
    loltf.jpgwoooo.jpg

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I find ap to be best. His kit gives him incredible utility but it balanced by having lower damage potential which leaves a lot to be desired when playing as carry since a lot of other champs outclass him in that respect.

With ap his play style changes. Instead he kites the fight tossing out wild card, stuns and lich bane procs. Still does a great amount of damage and retains the utilty to do backdoors and ganks.

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i won a 4v5 one time when I was tristana and they did not realize you sometimes have to focus tristana

unintentional on
  • Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Won only handful of 4v5 games. The key is hold out as long as you can till everyone on your team is max out with items. Ace other team during big fight then herp derp to their base while they are dead.

Also, Rent is spot on with item bonus stats stacking mechanics. It should be in OP since it is useful info.

I had to force my self to take a break from playing Rumble so I can continue to learn other champs. I believe he will be nerfed soon since he is really OP. The key to playing him well is to get his heat level over 50 constantly. There were so many games I would be sitting on 2-3k of gold with only starting item but still be able to go on kill streaks.

AhiMahi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    AhiMahi wrote: »
    Won only handful of 4v5 games. The key is hold out as long as you can till everyone on your team is max out with items. Ace other team during big fight then herp derp to their base while they are dead.

Also, Rent is spot on with item bonus stats stacking mechanics. It should be in OP since it is useful info.

I had to force my self to take a break from playing Rumble so I can continue to learn other champs. I believe he will be nerfed soon since he is really OP. The key to playing him well is to get his heat level over 50 constantly. There were so many games I would be sitting on 2-3k of gold with only starting item but still be able to go on kill streaks.

He is not going to get nerfed, he doesnt do anything that someone else cant do better so he just doesnt have a role on a team. Just like Morde, Garen, etc. They pubstomp all day then herp a derp later.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    He is not going to get nerfed, he doesnt do anything that someone else cant do better
    you're kidding right? His early game is so strong. he is p much the best bully solo in the game, right now. he's like old garen p much.

He's like vlad but not shit pre-9. or morde but doesn't auto-push his lane

Rent on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    pretty sure there are countless champs who would shit on rumble in a 1v1 lane. countless.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    haven't encountered one yet; burst champs can't, poke champs can't, tanky dps champs can't

Rent on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Morde can probably. They are sort of the same - tanky AP champions, but Morde has better laning.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    old garen? garen still does that shit

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Morde can probably. They are sort of the same - tanky AP champions, but Morde has better laning.

suprisingly the way rumble lanes he's usually far away from his creeps so morde has to either push (and that gives rumble the advantage of being able to chase morde down farther, equaling more damage), or morde has no shield and is therefore taking all of that harass rumble is throwing with no mitigation whatsoever
    nealcm wrote: »
    old garen? garen still does that shit

good point

Rent on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    gonna need a lord of the dance garen skin asap
    Garen performs a dance of death with his sword, dealing damage around him for 3 seconds, and reducing the duration of slows by 50%. Garen removes any slow effects on him at the start of the dance.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Any thoughts on the Shen rework? In ranked, I've won my last 5 games as Sona, and each game there has been a Shen on the enemy team who I've laned against in the duo. He just seems a lot weaker in the lane than before, though that might be a case of my amazing lane partners (Ashe, 2 Vaynes, a Cait, and a Maoki) and I outmatching the opposing lane. No one has bothered to ban him, either. I haven't gotten a chance to play him yet since the patch so I'm curious to hear opinions.

Fragarach on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    from my nonstop marathoning of rumble I would never want a 1v1 lane with him if I could avoid it

like I would pick someone else if I couldn't 2v2. that seems to be where he's really strong

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright so I've been doing some fiddling with Mordekaiser builds.

Lich Bane and Hextech Gunblades are amazing.

His Q hits like a truck and you basically are unkillable since you can just Ult someone and be back to near full health with full armor.

I easily 1v3'd a Vlad, Xin and MF doing this.

This. I was playing with the new lord mordekaiser skin and something similar occurred.

Jax jumps me by blue/baron. We fight, he gets me down to around 300 health then I kill him. Garen pops out of the bushes. I can't outrun him so the fight is on. During our battle, enemy karthus ults.

I walked away 2 kills up and still at 300 health.

Then vayne tumble sniped me, but you can't win them all.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    pretty sure there are countless champs who would shit on rumble in a 1v1 lane. countless.

I've done decently against a rumble with Malzahar. Safe farm with E, mad harass with E, and silence his flame thrower if you time it right.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    from my nonstop marathoning of rumble I would never want a 1v1 lane with him if I could avoid it

like I would pick someone else if I couldn't 2v2. that seems to be where he's really strong

Try Mao and Rumble; it's amazing. You are tanky, have insano-harass, have a root to lock 'em down in the Equalizer, and Mao pretty much gets free heals forever. It's easily one of my favorite lane matchups.

Fragarach on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    giuseppe and faynor did maokai rumble 2v1 top (cause the always had a jungler) and shat on them like 6 games in a row

our entire team comp revolved around having douchebag laners like zilean + evelynn (time bomb + time warp on cloaked evelynn speedily stuns a dude, bomb goes off, she kills him) for those bunch of games

i think being the meanest laners you possibly can be is an awesome strategy

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Been asked a million times but what are the best runes to use or does it 100% depend on your champ?

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are runes that can be used for a wide array of characters. However, if you are just starting out, you might just want to invest in a couple of general purpose rune sets. For example
    Quints - HP/lvl, Gold/10, Armor reduction, Movespeed
    Marks - Armor reduction, Magic penetration
    Seals - Mana regen, HP, dodge, Armor
    Glyphs - Magic resist, Cooldown reduction

Then as you get more champions, you can start tweaking your runepages to specific builds/champions. Like more crit marks / quints for Tryndamere, etc.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Get magic and armour pen reds and watevs

then get armour and mr yellows and blues

then you have decent basic pages for everybody

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am totes cheap and have not bought as many runes as I should

so I run flat health quints and cdr blues on err one

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    if you like to jungle, attack speed is quite popular for marks on a lot of junglers.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    gold/10 quints are not very good though..they are okay. would not put them near top priority.

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    nealcm wrote: »
    giuseppe and faynor did maokai rumble 2v1 top (cause the always had a jungler) and shat on them like 6 games in a row

our entire team comp revolved around having douchebag laners like zilean + evelynn (time bomb + time warp on cloaked evelynn speedily stuns a dude, bomb goes off, she kills him) for those bunch of games

i think being the meanest laners you possibly can be is an awesome strategy

I actually just played a game where me and a mao were top vs a lone teemo and he couldn't do shit

then their jungler shows up and he still couldn't so shit

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png