As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's been 15 years... time to buy a new PC, AND I DID! JUDGE IT

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
So, yeah, I'm biting the bullet and buying a PC.

Basically I'm going to the Dell Outlet Mall in Ogdenville and hoping to score big. I almost git a REALLy nice one Friday night but I didn;t get it to my cart in time and someone else snagged it.

This is all I know:

I want an Intel i7 core
I want at least 6 GB of ram, more if available.
The biggest hard dive I see yeah boo but I can increase that easily no matter what.
I don't care much for the drive but I would like a RW one.
Graphics card: I have no fucking idea. I'm shooting for a 1 GB at least but should I wait for a GeForce or go with ATI RAdeon which are much more plentiful on the site? And what kind? I think GTX is the best but they never have those in their machines, it's usually GT or GTS. Oh, and some numbers.

Also, I wanna hook it up to my HDTV so is there anything special I need for that other then a VGA->HDMI cable?

I=overwhelmed.

Magic Pink on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dell uses pretty shitty parts. Why are you set on a Dell?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The website was easy to use and had the oulet/refurbished category for cheap moneez. I;m hoping to stay under $1000.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I went with Gateway since they've improved a lot with time. I would also buy a separate monitor than theirs. I'm a big fan of LG monitors so I would go with them.

As for graphic cards personally I would go with Nvidia. If you get a hard drive you should know your speeds. A slow hd can make your games load a lot slower and lower the performance of your computer.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The website was easy to use and had the oulet/refurbished category for cheap moneez. I;m hoping to stay under $1000.

Check out the Computer Build thread. Building your own machine is very easy and $1000 can buy some top of the line shit.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

Check out the Computer Build thread. Building your own machine is very easy and $1000 can buy some top of the line shit.

I already did, it was way way over my head. I'm not going to build my own; I have no idea how to do that.

How is this one?
    System ID: EEDB0TCV
    Studio XPS 9100
    Certified Refurbished - SA
    System Price: $979.00
    Processor Processor: Intel Core i7-930 Processor (8MB L3 Cache, 2.8GHz)
    Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    Base Studio XPS 9100 Desktop
    Hard Disk Drive 1.5 TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    Memory 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (4 DIMMs)
    Media Bay 6X Blu-ray (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)
    Video 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Keyboard Keyboard
    Mouse Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
    Hardware Upgrade No Modem
    Thermal Heat Sink
    125V Power Cord
    Office Software Microsoft Office Starter
    Software Upgrade 64BIT Operating System

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wides screen LED monitors are becoming cheap. The 3d monitors are the new phase that hasn't hit consumer price levels yet. A good thing to keep in mind.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Roe wrote: »
    Wides screen LED monitors are becoming cheap. The 3d monitors are the new phase that hasn't hit consumer price levels yet. A good thing to keep in mind.

Except, like I said in the OP, I'm not getting a monitor. I'm just using my HDTV. There's no way I could afford this if I get a monitor as well.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Even with HD tv output, there is a reason people have HD tvs and monitors as well.

I think HD tvs skew the perspective too. You're also going to have a hell of a hard time playing games on it.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My HTPC is my main computer (I'm on it right now) and is hooked up to a 32" HD TV. The problem is that I sit at a normal couch range which doesn't work well. I need to increase font sizes tremendously for it to be useable. I also need a good wireless keyboard and mouse. How far are you going to be from your monitor?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not. You guys have convinced me this is too much trouble.

Thanks anyway.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You're just overwhelmed. If you work with us we can make this an easy process for you and make sure you're happy with what you want.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, if I can't use the TV the price of this goes way out of bounds. I'm much happier with consoles anyway.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Get a little less RAM and processor and you'll surely be able to afford a $100-$150 display. Decent ones aren't that expensive.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, if I can't use the TV the price of this goes way out of bounds. I'm much happier with consoles anyway.

1) You can but consider the issues it presents
    2) Monitors aren't outrageously expensive

But if you'd rather not, then that's cool too.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You should really just get a less expensive PC and a decent display. HDTVs make for crap PC displays. If you are willing to stick with a PC from the year of our lord 1996 I don't think a top end cpu and gpu should really be a priority for you.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If I have to get a monitor then I have to buy furniture to put a PC ON as well as get a chair. So the price goes too much.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Out of curiousity what are you currently using to post in this thread as well as for generally web surfing shenanigans?

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    jackal wrote: »
    Out of curiousity what are you currently using to post in this thread as well as for generally web surfing shenanigans?

My work PC.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I use a 46" HDTV as my only monitor and it works quite well. You just bump up the DPI size and you're good.

You will need to find a wireless keyboard and mouse that don't suck but beyond that it's all fine.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What's DPI?

Ok, thread change then: HDTV as a monitor, the ONLY monitor. Yay or Nay?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DPI is dots per inch, and it tends to be turrible on HDTVs because a 46 inch HDTV will have roughly the same resolution as a 19 inch monitor. There's also the problem that most software is designed for someone sitting 12 inches from the screen rather than 12 feet (except media center type apps of course).

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sure! How far are you going to be sitting?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    About 5 feet away.

This is my DPI... thing.

Display size: 29.6" × 22.2" (75.18cm × 56.39cm) = 34.59 PPI, 0.7342mm dot pitch, 1197 PPI²

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Don't worry about DPI, thats an OS setting. What model TV do you have? Is it's resolution 1080 or 720?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Panasonic TC-L37S1, 1080P. The native resolution (which I believe I should never switch because it can explode the TV or some such) is 1920 x 1080 .

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You'll be fine. If you need/want a wireless keyboard that doesn't have line of sight, avoid IR stuff.

edit: IR not RF

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nah, the keyboard I use normally on the 360 works fine and the PC won't be any further away then that. I am gonna want a wireless mouse tho.

What's RF, by the way?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Whoops, post edited.
    RF=Radio Frequency
    IR=Infrared

IR signals, like that in a remote control, need direct line of sight. RF doesn't and can also pass through walls if strong enough.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also as far as the PC thing goes, get an Core i5, theres no reason you MUST get a Core i7, you'd probably be happy with the 2500k i5. That one PC you posted was great as well, other than the ATI 5670 is pretty low on the video card scale of things. You're almost better off trying to score one with no video card and just selecting the card yourself later on so you get what you need.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also as far as the PC thing goes, get an Core i5, theres no reason you MUST get a Core i7, you'd probably be happy with the 2500k i5. That one PC you posted was great as well, other than the ATI 5670 is pretty low on the video card scale of things. You're almost better off trying to score one with no video card and just selecting the card yourself later on so you get what you need.

That or find a friend who knows how to build pc's or really think about letting the folks in the build thread help you out.

Building a PC can seem daunting but honestly it's not at all. If you've ever set up a home theatre or anything that requires wiring a lot of stuff correctly, you pretty much already have the skills.

It's just rough to see someone willing to shell out $1,000.00 for a pre-built PC that is decently under-par with what you can build for the same price on your own.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jackal wrote: »
    HDTVs make for crap PC displays.
    They actually make awesome displays, which are gloriously massive

Azio on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A decent 1080p HDTV makes a fine PC display.

Just make sure you get one that has 1:1 pixel mapping (haven't seen one that didn't in a long time,) be sure to adjust overscan settings in your graphics control panel (to ensure that, again, you're getting 1:1 pixel mapping) and sit a little further back. Also, as always, disable dynamic contrast.

For a long time I used my 42" as a primary, flanked by two 24" LCDs to the sides and a couple feet ahead of it. Even now, after lending out one of the 24s, I use the HDTV as my secondary with (the better one of) the 24s as my primary.

I expect I'll have the HDTV connected to my system for the forseeable future. Pretty slick being able to toss movies or TV shows or web videos (a couple patches ago, Flash changed it so that you can have a flash movie working full screen on one display and do work on another without the movie dropping out of full screen) on an HDTV while you do your work.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a HTPC connected to my 65" DLP and its just fine (doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping, but you can always have the desktop scaled down, but not video (well you could video, but throws the 3D off, so i leave it overscanned).

DPI is increased in windows to make shit bigger and if you want to get crazy with it, you can setup a Harmony remote to control it all (ie turn on pandora, tune to tv, pull up youtube) at the touch of a button.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smartphones also work really well these days for integrated PC/media player controls, too, though I've yet to use a harmony remote outside a store so as to compare.

I can't really express just how much raw, geeky joy I get out of a centralized system that runs the HDTV people watch from my couch, the work I do on my desktop, and shares any available media/documents to my kitchen, bedroom, or smartphone. Each controllable by the other (well, actually I can't control my smartphone with my PC. Other than that.)

Computers are pretty slick.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With Intelliremote, not only do I get extreme customization for my harmony remote, I can use my iphone to switch the channel on my wife while taking crap, technology at its best!

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Crap, how do I tell if I have 1:1 pixel mapping?

And are there any other outlet sites for refurbished/clearance/scratch and dent PCs? All I know of is Dell and Newegg.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How is this one?

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-570t W7HP-64 i7 2600 3.4GHz 1TB SATA 8GB DVDRW(LS) 1GB NIC 15-in-1 Rmkt PC

The only thing I can see wrong is that it may not be an Intel.

Jesus these Hewlett Packard clearance PCs are RIDICULOUSLY cheap for the power they have. What's the catch here?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i7 is Intel.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Then I have to be missing something. An i7 3.4, 1TB of hard drive, 8GB ram and the thing is barely 600$.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Then I have to be missing something. An i7 3.4, 1TB of hard drive, 8GB ram and the thing is barely 600$.

Motherboard, speed of ram/harddrive, Computer case, Power supply, DVD/blu-ray drive, speakers, Keyboard/mouse, Wireless router/reciver Mouse pad, HDMI connector, Software(including OS).

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg