As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Upgrading RAM, someone reassure me I'm not going to turn my PC in a campfire

AldoAldo Hippo HoorayRegistered User regular
OK, I currently have 2028MB RAM and I want to upgrade.

Relevant specs directly ripped from DxDiag:
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: DP35DP__
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 2028MB RAM
Page File: 1252MB used, 3047MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

--

Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS 512
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0600&SUBSYS_82681043&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1258 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 758 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

My question is pretty simple, can I just replace my RAM sticks with something like Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G or Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9?

Bonus questions:
Is 8GB even relevant? I like videogames.
Are there any brands I should avoid? I recognized Kingston and Corsair as famous brands, but I admit I don't know much about PCs besides what better informed people tell me.

Aldo on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It looks like your motherboard is the Intel DP35DP, which supports the following memory:
    The board has four DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
    Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
    8 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 DIMMs
    Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
    Non-ECC DIMMs
    Serial Presence Detect
    DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
    DDR2 667 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)
    DDR2 800 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

Unfortunately, this means the RAM you linked wouldn't be supported. Something like this would work:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

As far as the bonus questions go:
    1. 8GB is awesome, and not a bad idea at all. It won't make every game you play better, though. If a game isn't built to run in a 64-bit context, it will have a hard limit of about 2GB memory to use, so some games will not benefit.

You would need to reformat and reinstall with a 64-bit version of Windows to use more than ~3.2GB of RAM, though. This is due to limitations of 32-bit operating systems.

Tom's Hardware recently ran an article which touches on some of this stuff:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778.html

2. I wouldn't worry too much about specific brands, but it'd be good to purchase something that is well reviewed.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thanks, Dehumanized. That'll give me something more to consider. x_x; All versions of Windows 7 are capable of employing >3.2GB, right?

Aldo on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    Thanks, Dehumanized. That'll give me something more to consider. x_x; All versions of Windows 7 are capable of employing >3.2GB, right?

I...don't think that's the case. I've heard conflicted reports, so I looked this up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I...don't think that's the case. I've heard conflicted reports, so I looked this up.
    Ah, bugger. Thanks.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I was under the same impression too...since literally every version except both versions of Starter support, technically more than 3.2 GB.

And I've never known anyone who bought 7 Starter who wasn't a major institution just looking to fill up computers.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, Starter is technically only supposed to be sold with Netbooks or whatever

Dehumanized on