As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Model x-wing

althaialthai Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Artist's Corner
A while ago I decided to put my mini-painting skills to work on an x-wing, just to see how it would turn out. This was the result:

40631239xe2.jpg

22281649xo1.jpg

33733594bf1.jpg

What do you think?

I'm thinking about selling it off, but I have absolutely no experience with larger scale plastic models (as opposed to gaming minis, which I have quite a lot of experience with). Does anyone here have any experience with that sort of thing? Would the model be worth anything? Would I be better off trying to sell it on eBay, or somewhere else entirely?

Thanks for the guidance.

Althai/David

Never be afraid to paint outside the lines!
althai on

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First of all - what size is it in relation to like, other size things? I see the carpet as pretty small due to the shot you took, but like put a penny next to it or something please. I'm only assuming this, but did you take a model x-wing and just paint it so it looks old? That's what it looks like to me you did, I could be horribly wrong though. As for buying it? I'm no star wars fan, so I'm not sure really.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dude....

I have the same carpet.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Dude....

I have the same carpet.

He's inside your house!

If it's anything like the toys I had once, I'd say it's... 8-10 inches long?

Echo on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you have any pictures of what it looked like before? For all we know, you could have just painted the red stripes (;

melting_doll on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    im just getting into Warhammer 40K any painting tips?

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How much technique do you know already?

m3nace on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I don't know much about it personally, but this Thread in Critical Failures seems to be dedicated to it.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OP, I would check eBay for listings of other completed models of the same kit to see what other people THINK the model is worth-- most kitbuilders are pretty meticulous about hte exact make and model of the kits they assemble and paint and they're reasonably easy to find online.

as an aside, maybe we ought to have a kit/game painting thread in the AC forum too? painting for resin figures, action figure mods, game parts, etc? I would love that, I do a lot of resin stuff.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    althaialthai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First of all - what size is it in relation to like, other size things? I see the carpet as pretty small due to the shot you took, but like put a penny next to it or something please. I'm only assuming this, but did you take a model x-wing and just paint it so it looks old? That's what it looks like to me you did, I could be horribly wrong though.
    It's 12" long. And yes, I painted it so it looked old and beat up, as befits the Rebel Alliance.
    Do you have any pictures of what it looked like before? For all we know, you could have just painted the red stripes (;
    I couldn't find a picture of the exact kit I used, but this picture of a similar kit gives you the basic idea.

OP, I would check eBay for listings of other completed models of the same kit to see what other people THINK the model is worth.
    Well, I would think it would depend on how well the kit was done, and I couldn't really find anything on eBay that I thought was comparable.
    as an aside, maybe we ought to have a kit/game painting thread in the AC forum too? painting for resin figures, action figure mods, game parts, etc? I would love that, I do a lot of resin stuff.

There's already a thread that serves much the same purpose in Critical Failures for gaming figures (the same one Virgil mentioned), so I'd probably post gaming figures there, as well as other figures of a similar scale (25–54mm, which is 1/72–1/32 scale). If it's larger stuff, a thread here might be reasonable.

althai on
    Althai/David

Never be afraid to paint outside the lines!
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you don't see anything comparable on eBay, then you're going to have to determine what a friend of mine calls "the price you can live with," which is something of an inexact science. I typically count cost of materials and amount of time (charge yourself a rate per hour) and multiply to get a ballpark number. For example, a project costing $25 in materials and $25 in labor/time (yours will vary; here I am using my rate for 1 hour for ease of use) my rate would be 100-150. The price you can live with should be at least twice your opportunity cost and material cost, and should never ever be lower than your materials cost even if you are having an eBay fire sale... valuing your labor high in your initial cost structure gives you some wiggle room for sales/discounts later if necessary. As for painting most of the things I am working on are in the 1/12" or bigger and are not games figs. hmmm.

tapeslinger on