As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Comics

GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
(Hey folks. Sorry if there's been a prior appropriate thread at some point, hard to tell with the search non-functional.)

I'm interested to hear anybody's recommendations on Star Wars comics. I was a big Star Wars fan when I was a kid, read all the EU novels up until about midway through the New Jedi Order trilogy, but I never read any SW graphic novels aside from (I think) the Dark Empire stuff.

Now I see all of these sweet-looking, relatively cheap omnibus editions that they have these days. So what, if anything, is worth reading?

I don't have any strong preferences in terms of characters or storylines, but I guess if I was going to pick I would rather have original stories than comic adaptions of other SW media like novels. A big part of the appeal of SW, as I once read it described somewhere, was the feeling when watching the original movies that if you pointed the camera a different direction you would still see stuff happening and stories taking place, the sense of authenticity and alive-ness of the universe. So I'd like to try some books that focus on new characters or people were never really in the spotlight, or fill in the gaps.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edit: Whoops, meant to go in Graphic Violence, I was in the wrong tab. :oops: Mods, please move.

Gaslight on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am gonna guess

this was meant to be in Graphic Violence?

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would recommend not reading star wars comics

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am gonna guess

this was meant to be in Graphic Violence?

Yup. Sorry about this, feel free to ignore/mock until the mods get to it.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's no fun if you tell us to mock you. T-Rex doesn't want to be fed.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    It's no fun if you tell us to mock you.

*Sigh* I just can't do anything right tonight apparently. D:

Gaslight on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GAAAASSSSSLIIIIGHHHHTTTT

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2011
    It's now in the proper forum AND it's now a general Star Wars comics thread, assuming anyone wants one of those! As for recommendations, I can't really put any suggestions out there.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Geebs!

But the couple of actual comments on SW comics so far are not really encouraging...should I just save my time/money?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think it was Futt Bucker or maybe Desc who kept saying good things about the recent Knights of the Old Republic series by John Ostrander (apologies in advance if it was another member who recommended the series).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That, and the Boba Fett omnibus which is apparently at least mostly by Ostrander also, were some of the ones I was looking at.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really enjoyed the first arc of "Knights of the Old Republic" when it came out years ago, but after that it got crazy boring if I remember correctly.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, that's sort of how I felt. KotOR is really good in the beginning and then hits a somewhat long lull but then picks up again just as the series ends.

I've got a friend and his brother that are really into the omnibus books right now but I haven't really read much of those yet but I've generally heard good things.

Star Wars: Legacy just ended, which was really good. It takes place into the distant future where a Skywalker far down the line has pretty much turned his back on the Force and become a Han Solo type of character. A new sith order comes to power to usurp the current Imperial emperor and shit goes nuts. Every once in a while it dips into boredom or re-hashed SW type of redemption plot but overall it's pretty great.

I may be in the minority but stay the hell away from The Old Republic. That was one of, if not THE, worst comic I have ever read - not just SW related. I made it 3 issues in before I threw in the towel.

Knight Errant was okay, nothing spectacular but a decent story.

I don't know if you're looking for complete series or anything in general but a new series staring Qui-Gon just started that seems kinda promising.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    KotoR was a good series.

Solar on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just finished reading the first volume trade of Legacy and I really liked it. I'll be ordering the next 2 or 3 trades from Amazon in the next few days. I might try the first volume of KotOR also based on the above recommendations.

My take on Legacy, based on the first volume --

Some of the new ideas presented, like the Imperial Knights, are really cool. Basically, there's a third faction of "jedi" who are the bodyguards and personal entourage of the Emperor and his daughter. They are not affiliated with either the Jedi Order or the Sith. They are force sensitive, lightsaber wielding warriors who protect and serve the Empire.

It seems as if the Empire of the future is not evil like Palpatine's Empire. My impression from just a single book, is that the current Emperor is trying to steer the Empire back in the direction of the old republic. He seems like a pretty decent fellow.

I'm not a big fan of Cade Skywalker, however. It seems like Ostrander is trying way too hard to make him intricate and complex. The dude has inner demons, insecurities, reservations, anger issues, and all sorts of other problems galore. He's not a very sympathetic protagonist.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    A big part of the appeal of SW, as I once read it described somewhere, was the feeling when watching the original movies that if you pointed the camera a different direction you would still see stuff happening and stories taking place, the sense of authenticity and alive-ness of the universe. So I'd like to try some books that focus on new characters or people were never really in the spotlight, or fill in the gaps.

If you've read and enjoyed any of Stackpole's X-Wing novels you'd probably like the Rogue Squadron comics he wrote. They certainly fit the bill for shining the spotlight on lesser known characters like Wedge, Hobbie, Janson, etc. They take place immediately after Ep VI and lead right into the first X-Wing book. The art isn't consistent as almost every arc rotated in a new artist, but the writing is cohesive and there's a decent variety of stories, from straight-up military operations to pirate gangs to a retelling of the Russian revolution in space.

The original KotOR books from the 90s were also excellent, start off a little slow but ramp up into a bit of a major war. Only three TPBs here plus a few ancillary issues. They provide a nice backstory to some of the later EU canon, especially (shudder) kevin j anderson's books.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope

Buy this book. It's great.

There were three different "Infinities" stories, one for each of the original films, that were essentially "What If?" stories for the Star Wars universe. The ESB and RotJ ones are not, I repeat, are not worth reading, but A New Hope may be the best Star Wars comic I've ever read. The art is solid, the story is wonderful (it starts off with the Rebel's assault on the Death Star and a failed attempt at destroying it by Luke and the fallout experienced as a result) and is just an all-around great read.

RedDelicious on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Definitely try out Legacy, it's the best written comics out there for Star Wars and avoids most of the trapping much of the SW comics usually go into, it has some familiar aspects but done in a way that you'll wonder what took them so long to finally get it right.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Re: X-Wing series...I did read a lot of those when I was a kid and enjoyed them quite a bit. They were pretty straight-forward fighter-jock-in-space stuff, which really hit the spot for me as a young'un. Some of Stackpole's stuff that I read later (like his BattleTech books and the abortion that was I, Jedi) made me a little tired of him but I think the X-Wing comics would be worth reading for nostalgia's sake at least.

I had heard of/looked at the Legacy comics before but I was initially turned off because it seemed to me like they had sort of "rebooted" the universe to restore the kind of situation that existed at the beginning of A New Hope and that struck me as very lame and uncreative. Given all the recommendations here I'll have to give it a second look.

Infinities: A New Hope looks sort of interesting but it's awfully thin at only 96 pages.

So, I think for now I'm going to be planning to check out Legacy, KotOR, and the other Ostrander stuff, in that order.

Thanks for the advice!

Gaslight on
  • Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Infinities: A New Hope looks sort of interesting but it's awfully thin at only 96 pages.
    It was originally a four-issue mini-series and I like it because it doesn't drag on and on and on the way a lot of the Star Wars EU stuff does. Your choice though.

RedDelicious on
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nostalgia talking but I always liked the Dark Empire series (Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, Empire's End). It's got Luke trying to understand more of the force, specifically the Dark Side. I can't remember if it's before or during his time trying to set up a Jedi Academy, but he encounters the Clone of The Emperor and it's not bad.

Also nostalgia, but less so, is Crimson Empire I and II. You've got ex Emperor's Royal Guardsman Kir Kanos who feels wronged by what the Empire is doing now and sets his sights on revenge on the new "ruler" Carnor Jax, who is also Kanos' ex-bestie and also badass Royal Guardsman. Bloody revenge tail, and the second series focuses on a new fringe sort of Imperial Council and (barely) forshadows the New Jedi Order mega series.

But if you just want stories, I highly recommend the Star Wars: Tails series. 6 volumes of like, 10-12 different one-shot stories per volume based on established or fresh characters. There are some continuing plots, some amusing spoofs (like a rebel squad patterned off the Fantastic Four), and some plain awesome stories (such as Darth Vader fighting a doppleganger of a former Sith, and Dark Forces badass Kyle Katarn taking on some Yuushan Vong(sp?) from the New Jedi Order series of books). Some others are just plain well done all around (like one where Vader encounters C-3P0's remains on Cloud City). Probably my favorite comics from Star Wars.

KotOR was good for when I was reading it. I liked it and it's far enough in the past of the universe that nothing really crosses over from the movies.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png