Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xbox 2 Pi

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pfft Modern Shooter is hardcore. Sure thing.

It's always meant "loves difficulty" to me. I fail to see how this has changed significantly in the modern parlance. Get off my lawn.

Cloud eagle have you seen this?

http://www.torreport.com/docs/transcript.pdf

It's a transcript of a call from an EA big wig to his analysts.
    Some juice bits.

They made much more money off digital than packaged sales.
    Much of that digital was successful microtransaction sales.
    His example of a microtransaction sale was suitable outrageous for all of you to be getting into happy outrage over, I do know how you love your outrages in here.
    They want to put even more effort into the whole digital thing because it works so well.
    Their total packaged sales went down and their total profits went up.

Um

It's peppered with stuff about extra gaming devices, apple, iphone, social, whatever. I didn't pay too much attention.

I tuned out of it halfway and then came back at the end since it is SO LONG so you have a look.

The most interesting bit to me is that they don't actually expect BF3 to outsell MW3 and that they're worried about a revenue drop in Sports due to no World Cup (drives FIFA sales) and possibly no NFL.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A source at Crytek has told Eurogamer that the next Xbox will be at the next E3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-14-new-xbox-will-be-at-e3-2012-report

Why Microsoft? You could likely pad this bad boy out for another two years or so.

Because showing it off in 2012 lets them steal some of Nintendo's thunder.

If they DON'T announce it in 2012, then early adopters can go "Well, nothing else is coming out, maybe I'll try a Wii U" but if they do announce it, early adopters need to decide weather to dive in right away for a Wii U, or wait a year and see how the 720 or whatever starts turning out like.

Oh god, I wonder what dumbass name they'll attach to the next Xbox console. That should be fun. :D

Plus I imagine they'll be ready to do Kinect 2.0 by 2012, with built in CPU power for finger tracking and shit.

Next Kinect won't come until the next console. 2012 E3 announcement makes sense for a 2013 release (11-12-13? It's even a Tuesday!).

a5ehren on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The most interesting bit to me is that they don't actually expect BF3 to outsell MW3 and that they're worried about a revenue drop in Sports due to no World Cup (drives FIFA sales) and possibly no NFL.

That first part is great news, actually. Tempering expectations is a fucking smart move on their part, and every time I hear someone say "BF3 is going to kick MW3's ass!" or "SWTOR is going to destroy WoW!" I want to punch that person in the groin.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    I think I remember one of the Wii firmware updates being very dodgy, touching stuff in boot1. It wasn't intended to brick hacked Wiis, unhacked systems were equally at risk.

Again I might be remembering wrong but I think the 3DS is capable of bricking flash carts. Nintendo will never brick the system but anything you attach to it is considered fair game.

Yeah, this. I don't think it was ever intended to brick the console, just that was an unfortunate side-effect of touching the boot sector. I do think the firmware was largely an "anti-piracy" firmware update though.

I think we've had two firmware updates that added functionality, one for loading off SD cards, the other for Wii Speak (lol), everything else has been anti-homebrew. I am still on 4.2 and can access the shop and play games that "require" later firmwares.

There was also an update that added the clock to the main menu.

Yeah.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That first part is great news, actually. Tempering expectations is a fucking smart move on their part, and every time I hear someone say "BF3 is going to kick MW3's ass!" or "SWTOR is going to destroy WoW!" I want to punch that person in the groin.

Remember when "WoW Killer" was a thing that people said unironically?

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It also leads to less Mirror's edge style heart breaks:?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's in the DNF thread, but for those who haven't seen it: slash finally redeemed his Duke Nukem Forever preorder.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A source at Crytek has told Eurogamer that the next Xbox will be at the next E3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-14-new-xbox-will-be-at-e3-2012-report

Why Microsoft? You could likely pad this bad boy out for another two years or so.

Because showing it off in 2012 lets them steal some of Nintendo's thunder.

If they DON'T announce it in 2012, then early adopters can go "Well, nothing else is coming out, maybe I'll try a Wii U" but if they do announce it, early adopters need to decide weather to dive in right away for a Wii U, or wait a year and see how the 720 or whatever starts turning out like.

Oh god, I wonder what dumbass name they'll attach to the next Xbox console. That should be fun. :D

Plus I imagine they'll be ready to do Kinect 2.0 by 2012, with built in CPU power for finger tracking and shit.

Well this gives them a year to rip off the WiiU controller. Hopefully Sony does the same so they can finally move past that awful dual shock design.

Algertman on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pfft Modern Shooter is hardcore. Sure thing.

It's always meant "loves difficulty" to me. I fail to see how this has changed significantly in the modern parlance. Get off my lawn.

Cloud eagle have you seen this?

http://www.torreport.com/docs/transcript.pdf

It's a transcript of a call from an EA big wig to his analysts.
    Some juice bits.

They made much more money off digital than packaged sales.
    Much of that digital was successful microtransaction sales.
    His example of a microtransaction sale was suitable outrageous for all of you to be getting into happy outrage over, I do know how you love your outrages in here.
    They want to put even more effort into the whole digital thing because it works so well.
    Their total packaged sales went down and their total profits went up.

Um

It's peppered with stuff about extra gaming devices, apple, iphone, social, whatever. I didn't pay too much attention.

I tuned out of it halfway and then came back at the end since it is SO LONG so you have a look.

I really wonder what will happen to Madden if the NFL strikes... hell, it's entirely possible that sales might actually go UP since people will want their football fix.

But yeah, EA's been going nuts with digital for a while now. And it seems to be working for them, their profits are up.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're probably putting a Title Update trigger (well, not on the Wii) that will 'unlock' the modified schedule if there is one.

Otherwise, they'll probably just release it as always using the schedule that was supposed to be played. Even if sports games have some kind of 'live update' that tracks and changes stats for players, sports games have generally been not about the current season. Any potential work stoppage isn't going to hurt them much.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Madden Sales have been on the decline.

I kinda like EA going after Steam and moving bigger games away from it is a good idea. Honestly setting up your own DD service if its only for a dozen or so games a year makes sense. Why pay an outsider 30% when people want your game anyways?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I kinda like EA going after Steam and moving bigger games away from it is a good idea. Honestly setting up your own DD service if its only for a dozen or so games a year makes sense. Why pay an outsider 30% when people want your game anyways?

Setting up a separate service could severely limit your user base. How many people are going to go through the trouble of setting up an Origin account, when it's easier just to stick with Steam and skip EA games?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

Remember when "WoW Killer" was a thing that people said unironically?

THere was a time when people said "Windows killer" unironically as well. All these giants start somewhere, and they start for a damn long time.
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Setting up a separate service could severely limit your user base. How many people are going to go through the trouble of setting up an Origin account, when it's easier just to stick with Steam and skip EA games?

Trade off of convenience versus...well, actually playing the game. Not a particularly big inconvenience. Until Valve or other DD corporations can somehow present having another distribution service on your PC as being closer to "buying a whole 'nother console" sort of imposition.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Worked ok for Blizzard and Valve themselves.

I'm still not quite getting my head round the uproar.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Y'know, this Origin thing has me thinking "Fuck it, I'll just get Battlefield 3 for PS3" or "Maybe I don't buy Battlefield 3 at all". It may not be one of the best thoughts I've ever had, but it's a thought that's there.

Also, Fifa sales don't rely on the World Cup, they rely on squad updates for the new European soccer season.
    People like to play with the shiny new players on their favourite teams.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »
    Cade wrote: »
    So I can't help but think targetting EVE online was a mistake for them considering some of the people that play that game.

Yeah, kicking the GoonSwarm beehive isn't the best idea.

4chan is explicitly an SA spinoff. It was founded by a goon, for goons. The crossover in population is probably 90%. The /v/ EVE corp is part of Goonswarm, for starters.

Furthermore, Goonswarm itself and all of its incarnations was made specifically to ruin EVE for everyone else. If I remember correctly they once ganked everyone including the commentators and CCP officials during one of the PVP tournaments, ddos'd the live stream and flooded the message boards with automated spam proclaiming their victory.

Taking down the login server temporarily is barely fraction of the grief that the swarm has unleashed upon that game. If they weren't paid subscriptions they would all have been permabanned a long, long time ago.

Fofofofofofofo.

edit: since I killed the thread by referencing a Goonswarm meme, I shall post speculation too. That is, I wonder what Microsoft will do with the next xbox, regarding Kinect. Specifically, do they keep what is out there at the moment and hope that by designing the console with it in mind (specifically the inputs), they can free up enough bandwidth to improve the latency/precision, or to release a revised piece of hardware that can run smoother, but risk splitting the market and asking customers to buy a new piece of equipment, customers who will likely be reluctant to do so.
    So I'm wondering if they'll design the new Xbox for a new Kinect sensor, but keep that under wraps for a few years into its lifetime so they can ride this one out and thenask everyone to upgrade when it's more acceptable.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    You don't think it's a coincidence that the father of Final Fantasy wanted to develop an RPG?

Also, Microsoft publishing the titles doesn't really mean anything. They threw money at the developers for exclusives. That's really all it means. You are confusing Microsoft securing exclusives in a wide variety of genres with "copying."

P.S. Microsoft also published Mass Effect. And the stuff fraggle mentioned.

You really think Microsoft just throws money at those developers and let them develop whatever they want? Come on. They approved every single one of those games. Even if you're to assume those developers really wanted to make those games (which isn't true for most developers), it's a pretty enormous coincidence that they all happened to be similar titles to ones their competitors had. I mean really, they just coincidentally made an epic big budget JRPG, karaoke game, racing sim, trivia game (complete with Buzz controller) and motion control sports game?

I'm fine with EA trying to compete but removing their games from Steam to boost up their (at this point) vastly inferior service is fucking laughable. That's some GFW level of stupidity.

There's no reason why they can't release their games on Steam and still have their game running through their own client, like a number of GFW Live games. Even Microsoft is starting to realise this. And if they do do this, they just need to make sure they don't make the same mistakes Microsoft did. Or in other words, don't make it an enormous pain in the ass. Don't require me to quit out of my game three times in a row because it needs to download a patch and don't fuck with my saves.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SEGA does what Nintendon't? I had these arguments with a mate back in school, where we'd bitch at each other about one platform of choice 'ripping-off' the other. We were about 10. "Microsoft paid to get all these genres on their platform!" well before that it was "man, Microsoft are really lacking in JRPGs and racing sims!" so, decide what you want and stick to it.

The second part of this post is appending some information to the 'New xbox at E3 2012' rumour, and I'll let High Ranking Crytek Source take it away:
    The Xbox 360's successor will likely debut at E3 2012, with Timesplitters 4 among the titles in development for the new machine, according to a new report.

A "high-ranking" source within developer Crytek let the news slip to VideoGamer. Although the insider didn't confirm system specs, they revealed that the Crysis studio is using DirectX 11 in development.

The source expects Microsoft to unveil and subsequently launch its new machine ahead of Sony, though the studio is also investing resources in PlayStation 4 development.

Crytek is hoping that Timesplitters 4 will be seen as an early visual benchmark for the platform.

First announced by developer Free Radical back in 2007, the FPS sequel was thought to be dead and buried when the studio went into administration in 2009. However, Crytek, who bought up what was left of the Nottingham-based outfit, has seemingly resuscitated the game.

Built using CryEngine 3, it'll apparently focus on branching paths, exploration and sandbox gameplay.

Both Microsoft and Crytek have declined to comment on the story.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've dissed the Kinect in the past, but the moment it drops to below $99 with a game attached I'll probably bite and get one. Mainly because my wife really, really likes that dancing game. And by the time it drops to that price I assume there will be more games that I want. Unfortunately the games they showed at E3 didn't interest me in the least bit.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    I've dissed the Kinect in the past, but the moment it drops to below $99 with a game attached I'll probably bite and get one.

Holy shit, get out of my head! Those were like the exact criteria I had for getting one.

Heh, I'm so drunk. This TV dinner spagetti tastes rubbery.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    720/PS4 reveal at next E3? Yeah, that's what everyone's predicted and is withing the right timeframe.
    Timesplitters 4 on the other hand? Hell yes.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    SEGA does what Nintendon't? I had these arguments with a mate back in school, where we'd bitch at each other about one platform of choice 'ripping-off' the other. We were about 10. "Microsoft paid to get all these genres on their platform!" well before that it was "man, Microsoft are really lacking in JRPGs and racing sims!" so, decide what you want and stick to it.

Answer 1: People want Microsoft to have more games without moneyhatting to do so, making both complaints internally consistent.

Answer 2: Different people are making the complaints. The internet is not of one opinion. It's like "Wii doesn't have achievements so it sucks" vs. "I hate achievements, MS sucks," or "Non-HD games are horrible and need to die" vs. "HD games are too expensive to develop and are killing the industry."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Two strawmen in the same post? What?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    720/PS4 reveal at next E3? Yeah, that's what everyone's predicted and is withing the right timeframe.
    Timesplitters 4 on the other hand? Hell yes.

IMO, and I have probably posted this a lot.

2012 is when Microsoft announces the next Xbox, for release in 2013. This allows MS to take the wind out of Nintendo's sails during 2012 (Should I buy a Wii U, or wait a year for the Xbo 720?), while also giving their surprisingly prolific peripheral two years to break some heads, sales wise. (Plus another year of sloppy seconds). Additionally, this allows Microsoft to move the fuck on from a nearly 6 year old piece of equipment (will be 8 years old in 2013)

With Nintendo and Microsoft both showing off their shiny new hardware cocks, Sony will be forced to show new hardware in 2013 with a 2014 release date (having their 10 year plan rudely interrupted). Sony, out of all the groups, probably doesn't want to move on given how much the PS3 cost them, but they'll be forced to after everyone else does. Though they could surprise me and do things at the same time as Microsoft and release in 2013.

The real craziness will be in how the price and hardware compare to each other. That'll be a hoot.

This message brought to you by Smirnoff.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think Sony might show off their stuff next year too, including all new ways to interface with the Vita.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Honestly, I don't know Sony well enough to make that guess. Always they seem to dance to the beat of their own drum. Even move seemed to be a half-effort and definintely not the focus of the company (unlike Kinect for MS).

And by that, I don't necessarily mean they're creative, just that they're the person who dances by themselves in the park.. when no music is playing. They may not be crazy, but you can't be certain.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really hope TimeSplitters 4 is successful. Just please no regenerating health... I want monkeys and health packs.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Can't say the idea of a Crytek developed Timesplitters excites me, but we'll see.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Can't say the idea of a Crytek developed Timesplitters excites me, but we'll see.

It's Crytek UK. Who are Free Radical, renamed when Crytek bought them.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

WAT?

Crytek developed Timesplitters 4? Hmmm....

Well, we know two things for certain:

1. The game will be very pretty
    2. At least the first half of the game should be really fun.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just want to say it's still bullshit we're not going to get a new Lara Croft GoL type game anytime soon. That's seriously the worst news I heard all week.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just want to say it's still bullshit we're not going to get a new Lara Croft GoL type game anytime soon. That's seriously the worst news I heard all week.

The Space Marine arcade game looks close-ish

Unless you mean an actual GoL sequel.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »

Oh, I know that. But that Crytek name is still there, I tried playing Crysis before... yeah.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I'm saying knock it off, you sound like bloody children bickering over who got there first and is therefore the better. They saw gaps in their gaming lineups that people (not you, personally, well done!) were complaining about, and made efforts to fill them. Somehow this is drawn to a negative conclusion?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I'm saying knock it off, you sound like bloody children bickering over who got there first and is therefore the better. They saw gaps in their gaming lineups that people (not you, personally, well done!) were complaining about, and made efforts to fill them. Somehow this is drawn to a negative conclusion?

Improving one's gaming lineup is not universally a positive thing. For example, whenever Activision sees gaps in their lineup and buys up your favorite franchises.

Obviously Microsoft's situation is different but you summarized it in such a way that implied there was no way this could ever go wrong.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »

Oh, I know that. But that Crytek name is still there, I tried playing Crysis before... yeah.

Frankly, if the UK-developed multiplayer portion of Crysis 2 is any indication, you'd probably have good standing to be weary.

It's probably not a fair though since daddy Crytek likely had a vision to what it had to be like and UK was necessary slaved to it, and who knows what they'll be allowed to do if they get TS project up, but still, all said and done, C2 multi was some of the most derivative shit.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Timesplitters 4.....that's precicely what this industry needs....more shooters. :?

At least the Timesplitters games were clever about it....but then again, companies nowadays have a tendancy to get a great classic license, and then brown it up and take away everything that made the old games charming and fun.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Timesplitters 4.....that's precicely what this industry needs....more shooters. :?

At least the Timesplitters games were clever about it....but then again, companies nowadays have a tendancy to get a great classic license, and then brown it up and take away everything that made the old games charming and fun.

If it even is being made, as has been said, it'll be by Free Radical who were bought up by CryTek. The ones who made the other games charming and fun.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

If it even is being made, as has been said, it'll be by Free Radical who were bought up by CryTek. The ones who made the other games charming and fun.

Yea, Perfect Dark was also charming and fun.

We know what happened when Rare made a sequel to that. :?

If Timesplitters 4 were made and still retain the charm of the older games, it might be the first shooter that I'd buy ever this generation.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!