As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeons and Dragons]: Combining the nerdiest art form with the nerdiest franchise

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
I had no idea where to best bring up this awesome SOMEWHAT new series. It seems a little extreme to create a new thread about a newer series with a mere 9 issues (still ongoing of course), BUT, it's a great read that many will overlook due to how poorly D&D can be translated into other media. So I want to help get the word out there.

This series is pure fun. The humor, the off the wall action, and just the general vibe reminds me very much of (oddly enough) The Mummy. It's a wise cracking action romp with a massive body count.This is NOT a series that takes itself seriously. I mean it opens like this...
DungeonsDragons01_Preview004.jpg

The story is standard D&D stuff. A band of heroes (a human fighter, a dwarf paladin, a halfling rogue, an elf ranger, and a tiefling sorceress) get into whacky situations in hopes of finding gold and preforming good deeds. And I will say the heroes themselves are all fairly generic, but there's a certain charm in that.

However the awesome artwork, witty humor, and consistently kick ass fight scenes greatly elevate this comic from standard fare to something special. The Orc duel in issue #3 may be one of my top 10 greatest moments in comic history. I don't think a comic ever made me laugh so hard.

Long story short, if you like fantasy, if you want a fun simple action romp, pick up IDW's Dungeons and Dragons.

dnd01-1303271736.jpg

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Read Skullkickers instead

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This series is great fun. One thing that must be emphasized is that the comic does not try to be a serious fantasy quest. While it is not a parody, the main characters usually act like a group of buddies who aren't above ribbing one another.

For an example, take this exchange after an arrow misses the orc it was aimed for:

Kahl, Dwarf Paladin: "Ye missed."
    Varis, Elf Ranger: "He's faster than he looks."
    Kahl, Dwarf Paladin: "Unless you meant to hit that oak tree. It'll ne'er terrorize a village again."

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Double post sry.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Read Skullkickers instead

Why say "instead" when you can say "as well"... kind of an underhanded first response to a new comic thread.

Regardless thanks for the tip, I'm checking it out right now, looks like I'll have to order it from B&N asap! Looks like a fantastic read! I mean if Gail Simone says it's good...
    SkullkickersQuoteAd1.jpg

AND it stars a dwarf, then I'm sold baby!

Wishpig on

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All my responses are underhanded
    because my keyboard and mouse are under my hands

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    All my responses are underhanded
    because my keyboard and mouse are under my hands

Lol... ZING! I'll admit, that was pretty fucking good.

UPDATE: Read Skullkickers (actually bought the TPB) fucking KICKS ASS. However, I like Dungeon & Dragons more. As generic as Dungeon & Dragons can be in some areas, the story can be surprisingly unpredictable. It could be something as simple as an Orc comically picking a rock as a dueling weapon or it can be one of the huge plot points. Skullkickers on the other hand is pretty damn predictable. AWESOME. But predictable.

Also Dungeons & Dragons has cooler fight scenes imo... Skullkickers win in the art department though! Skullkickers may be one of the best looking comics out on the market right now.

This is coming from someone who has no particular attachment to the Dungeons and Dragons franchise.

Bottom line, if you like fantasy pick up both comics asap. However, if your not a fantasy fan, I would say STILL pick up Skullkickers, don't pick up Dungeons & Dragons... yeah I know that's a bit odd considering I like the latter more... but I think Skullkickers is more appealing to the general audience.

Wishpig on

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    I can safely say that this new D&D comic is one of the best comics currently out on the stands. I'm stunned that someone managed to make a Swords&sorcery comic this fun! (Battle chasers tried to do it, but it suffered thanks to its artist) I like how the characters all sound like both real denizens of this world, and like veteran players around a game table. There's nothing really deep about it (not yet at least) but it is fun and entertaining, which is more than can be said for a lot of current comics.