As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The War of Art: Vanguard kind of likes how Satan's asshole smells

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Probably take that selling to the 40k thread, not the art thread.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    skarsol wrote: »
    He meant 30% off, not 30% of value. :P

Oh well. I got what I wanted.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hello everyone,

I've got a kick-ass conversion planned, but I'm a few bitz short.

Does anyone have any of these:
    BitzWanted.jpg

I'll take as many of these as I can get my hands on:
    BitzWanted2.jpg

Reply here, or PM me so I can get to kitbashing as soon as possible.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For obvious reasons, I'm taking my primer anger out of the regular 40k thread and bringing it here.

I just ran out of my Tamiya black primer earlier today and had to try some black Armory primer. The end result is I now have a Raider and 3 Jetbikes that are half-covered in a disgusting-looking black powder. Tamiya primer has never ceased to blow my mind but getting it is a bitch and involves a 2 hour drive on top of it being silly expensive for the amount of paint you actually get.

Does anyone have experience with, say, Krylon sprays or anything? I don't really have a lot of options where I live and I could get that shit at wal-mart.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Krylon works well for me. I've never had a problem with it. I use the grey primer they put out.

Toothy on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Someone recommended the Krylon H2O stuff to me (latex, I think). It worked pretty decently, just know that it dries very glossy, so if you leave a lot of black on the model then it'll definitely stand out. I wash everything with blue right away, so it's no biggie.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    Helios127Helios127 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So my dad and I are painting Grey Knights. Any tips? I am already quite well at painting orks btw, that is my main army.

Helios127 on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well I painted some stuff this weekend.

240450_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Wyche.JPG
    240451_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Wyche.JPG

240452_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Wyche.JPG
    240453_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Wyche.JPG

240454_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Wyche.JPG

240455_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Wyche.JPG
    240456_sm-Dark%20Eldar%2C%20Wyche.JPG

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nice to see I'm not the only one who insisted on putting the boss facemask on the Hydra Gauntlet wych.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Safety first!

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Slap, your DE are coming along nicely! Glad to see a 2nd army progressing.

In other news, I've been painting the same 4 terminators for oh... 5 weeks now.
    I don't understand why it's so boring. I don't really like painting terminators at all. And I have like 10 more to do!

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These sniper drones have me depressed. It's not simply that they need a lot of work, it's that they need so much fixing. Filling bubbles, shaving down misaligned sides, heating and fixing warps...

And on top of that, I've got the urge to get more warhams since yesterday was payday!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The post office seem to have lost my new infinity models. This makes me sad. Asher, post your Yu Jing so I may live vicariously through you. :(

J on
  • Options
    JerickJerick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I finished my war strider. Feast your eyes upon it!
    IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg

Jerick on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jerick you are an evil evil man, it's gonna be three months before I get mine :(

great job though, I like it

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just want to put lights and motor in that ball so it spins, and a dj turntable in front of those two guys, make them orange with a popped collar or two and some axe body spray(come on, the hairs already blown out) and make the thing play dubstep to piss off my opponents.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dude I could totally see someone doing them as daft punk, course I can also see Daft Punk doing something like that.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    heh, guy in the local group got his shit posted on gw.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=300002&pIndex=7&aId=15000018a&multiPageMode=true&start=8

hilariously this is the one I bitched at where I'd asked what was in the unit, he said oh just assault marines, which then turns into some assault marines with a special hq which burns everything to death nearby instead.

least I like his paint jobs.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Valkyrie on that page is fucking amazing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Which of them? Or all three? Yeah these are better painted than his BA army I'd say. Or atleast the worn look suits it far more.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah daft punk would be the way to go if I wanted not to be a DB about it. put some "bass" shockwaves in the mud around its feet. "no no, its standing still, but tearing ass and rocking out all over the battlefield."

edit: I want to make this conversion now.... but its such an expensive model...

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jerick wrote: »
    So I finished my war strider. Feast your eyes upon it!
    IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg

Really kick ass basing there. Surprised you don't have a little dead winterguard guy in the trenches, heh.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm stealing the fuck out of that guy's idea of chopping up binoculars for lasgun scopes.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    Da Bid DabidDa Bid Dabid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So after drooling over that amazing guard army (it just has so much character). I think I want to paint my tanks in a similar fashion, at least the color + weathering - graffiti artwork. You folks got any guesses on how it was achieved?

Seems like two types of brown and a black used for mud and dirt splatter in worn areas perhaps applied with a sponge, heavy dark color washes around the rivets and such, stumped on the base color though... tough to see if its brought all the way up to a bone or if its a light brown or a light grey. Despite being terrible at guessing colors used, maybe its a dark earthy brown lightened up somehow?

Looking it over again seems he just matched the color of his troops, perhaps my bone/filthy brown mix that I use on my guard's greatcoats would make a good base to start from and I'll go from there.

Da Bid Dabid on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    altmann wrote: »
    I'm stealing the fuck out of that guy's idea of chopping up binoculars for lasgun scopes.

Haha, that's funny because it's usually done the other way around with Bolter Scopes :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://allouttabubblegum.wordpress.com/

His blog if you guys want to steal ideas hahha

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Talking of ideas to steal; I just saw a fantastic old-school (2e era) Space Marine Land Speeder conversion done entirely in plastic to look like the old metal one.

Sadly I didn't have my camera with me; next time I see it I'll see if I can't talk the guy into posting some photos somewhere.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    altmann wrote: »

I've done it a lot...you have to either GS or use them with a bit of planning. The right lens looks great on a regular guardsman, for instance, because the inside edge is against his chest. But you'll have a tough time using the left one without some weird rotation/GS'ing.

Chopped up binoculars + vox antennae + lasgun = sniper rifle.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Arjac 2: The Man Mountaining is complete. It's on models like this that I wish I could paint eyes worth a damn. Ah well. He needs some drybrushing but it otherwise done.

241766_sm-Arjac%2C%20Rockfist%2C%20Space%20Wolves%2C%20Terminator%20Armor%2C%20Wolf%20Guard.JPG
    241765_sm-Arjac%2C%20Rockfist%2C%20Space%20Wolves%2C%20Terminator%20Armor%2C%20Wolf%20Guard.JPG

241769_sm-Arjac%2C%20Rockfist%2C%20Space%20Wolves%2C%20Terminator%20Armor%2C%20Wolf%20Guard.JPG

241767_sm-Arjac%2C%20Rockfist%2C%20Space%20Wolves%2C%20Terminator%20Armor%2C%20Wolf%20Guard.JPG

241768_sm-Arjac%2C%20Rockfist%2C%20Space%20Wolves%2C%20Terminator%20Armor%2C%20Wolf%20Guard.JPG

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    I just want to put lights and motor in that ball so it spins, and a dj turntable in front of those two guys, make them orange with a popped collar or two and some axe body spray(come on, the hairs already blown out) and make the thing play dubstep to piss off my opponents.

Give them Daft Punk helmets.

edit: TOO SLOW

Echo on
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am slowly working toward a goal of having a fully painted ~3000 pt Orc and Goblin army for Warhammer. With a new baby just born a couple weeks ago this is a bit of a pipe dream, but I am finding a few minutes here and there. I'll post some pics of what I have and what I finish as I go.

First up, some Fanatics! (Actually finished a few months ago)
    IMG_0398.JPG

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That Arjac is awesome Slap.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Those fanatics look very nice!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The scopes for those guardsmen arnt binoculars, theyre using the little scopes that come with the heavy weapon sprues.

Though the use of binocs as goggles is really cool, and the rest of the army is boss.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Those fanatics look very nice!

Thanks!

Oh, and I found this pic from a couple years ago. My friend asked me to paint his white lion chariot for him ...
    pink_lion1.jpg

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Those lions don't look very white...
    :wink:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thats a really awesome dreadnaught body. I dont think its the proportion that's the issue, but something seems off about it.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Finally get to show some progress, keeping the pictures small, as the larger they get the blurrier they are...

I mainly paint minis for D&D usage, but I might be getting into warmachine soon. This one is a blackgaurd I was going to make in D&D, and I shamelessly tried to copy asher's paint scheme he was using on his Skorne. The red on the cape is not coming out correctly, it might be the distance was too close of the light in the picture. I used alot of wash on it but it feels like there was no effect:

5895610580_5b62643377_m.jpg
    more shots:
    closeup
    5895042887_26dc22eece.jpg
    Heres an example of the red, I washed the hell out of this, and it just appears as flat color still:
    5895610908_940833675e.jpg
    I might just have to take some watered down black to it and re-drybrush red.

Here's a mini I did for a friend in our D&D campaign to use, until I have recently found a better one that would probably work better. Did this mainly for the comedy of the model:
    5895611970_26d6147504.jpg
    5895611452_30c52f7646.jpg
    It's still a work in progress, I haven't washed the head/shield/mail skirt.

Here's my first attempt as basing a mini that was almost complete. Theres no store in the area that sells grass flock(railroad hobby shops just have bushes, so I bought those and crumpled them smaller). I always enjoyed goblin mini's despite a lack of use in ropleplaying, so I got this guy for a friend to play a goblin sorcerer with. He's my first attempt at painting a mini correctly, but I cant figure out what to do with the staff, and I feel like he came out too brown. There's alot of detail in the mini that I just can't figure out what to do with. I still need to do touchups on the model, and paint the edges of the base, but this where I am at with him:
    5895611640_d81bc7bc1b_m.jpg

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thats a really awesome dreadnaught body. I dont think its the proportion that's the issue, but something seems off about it.

To me, the thing that seems off about it is the general shape when you consider it outside of the fluff. It's like the Dreadknight, it just doesn't have that boxy shape you associate with Space Marines.

But then, it's meant ot be a Dreadnought pattern from the Dark Age of Technology, and used extensively during the Horus Heresy, so its general shape make sense since it's from a time when their technology was far, far better.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.