As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Requesting critiques of artwork from my latest webcomic strip

CoreyCorey Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Artist's Corner
Every time I work on a comic strip I end up tediously tweaking the artwork to the point that I'm totally unable to see how it might be flawed in a fundamental way, or if the tweaking has somehow gotten in the way of reading the comic. Thusly I very much appreciate the brutality of anonymous internet criticism and would like such criticism now! Thanks very much.

2011-07-22-glazed-and-confused.png

stupidaliens.gif
Corey on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    There's way too much text. And it looks like you change the size of your text from balloon to balloon.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In that particular strip, almost every panel has a perspective or a character which is tilted to the left, which makes the whole thing feel generally off-kilter.

In general I'd say that it's just too busy - especially the word balloons, which don't have enough space for the words. I know it's painful to cover up art you've spent a long time on with text, but the solution to that is to either plan out your panels more thoroughly so you know where the text is in advance, or to try and use more streamlined dialogue. At the moment, my eyes don't know where to go and it's a bit of an assault on the senses.

That said, I think your colours and lighting are handled pretty well.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I like the art and colors. Everything has a geometric shape to it that makes things seem well constructed. As mentioned however, too much text will bring down any comic and that's whats happening here.

• Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    This is just my personal opinion obviously, but I feel that the colours are a little too saturated as well.

Usually it wouldn't be much of a problem, but when combined with the areas of really dense text it makes the strip a little jarring to focus on

I had a quick check and it looked way less crazy in grayscale, so I'm going to chalk it up to the colours being a bit too in-your-face for me

• Options
    skyturtleskyturtle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like the ash tray with the "Stop crying" on it :)

skyturtle on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Girls face seems really squished strait on, and then normal in profile. The guys tears also look like solid objects or blue paint in his beard. I feel like the joke would be great if, like the others said, you weren't choking it with to many words. You could take half the text out of the first two panels, and let the last stand on its own with just the girl frowning, and it would be effective.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I would split this up into at least three different comics. Pace yourself.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Pacing could be slower...but LOLOLOL maybe its just cause im married but i thought this was too funny.

• Options
    maa703maa703 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm def a fan of the coloring, very vibrant. Character-wise, i'll have to second tynic and iruka's observations and suggest doing some regular ppl studies as well as straight up copying some disney stills. I think doing those will, over time, correct many of your issues. Also, I liked how you rendered out the background in the final panel, it has a very crisp, clean feel to it.

*edit*
    clarification: disney still copying is for learnin', didn't mean to suggest you insert those into a scene or w/e

maa703 on