As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Appealing to the Port Authority?

TKidTKid Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

I just got a nasty letter from the New York Port Authority saying that I owed them 60 dollars for blowing through the E-Z Pass lane at the Lincoln Tunnel. There's a few problems with this claim: I live in Utica, NY almost 300 miles from the tunnel. I was also working on the day the ticket claims and was nowhere near the city. Finally: Never in my entire life have I even SEEN the Lincoln Tunnel. The ticket clearly has my plate number and name on it though.

I figure this is a result of a mix-up with one of those traffic cameras that misread my plates, or someone from another state had the same plate numbers?

The little card says I can appeal it by sending them a copy of my registration, but I'm curious what happens from there. Do any of you have any experience with these situations? Is there any information I should be running down in the meantime? This is a first for me.

TKid on

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Almost certainly a mix up with the camera reading a plate that's similar to yours. If the EZ-Pass tag can't be read, they go to the camera and try to read the plate and then link that to an EZ pass account. There should be a number on the ticket you can call for more information. In my experience (I had a similar thing happen a few years ago) they were understanding and got it sorted out.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Just reply explaining that you are not guilty and were never anywhere near there and ask for the picture or whatever proof they have to show that you were. If your vehicle really wasn't there, they obviously have no proof, and you win.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I assume the photo they have would show at least part of the car, at least it's color at the very least. Which, odds are, probably doesn't match your cars make and model and etc. Which would help in your favor.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    I find it odd that they didn't include a picture of your vehicle in the letter. Here in Colorado they have the picture right next to the ticket (it's always a full picture of the car) and they usually have you sign for the letter when you get it. So, yeah ask for a picture and explain your situation. By any chance did you let any friends borrow your car around that time?

• Options
    mbannick wrote:
    I find it odd that they didn't include a picture of your vehicle in the letter. Here in Colorado they have the picture right next to the ticket (it's always a full picture of the car) and they usually have you sign for the letter when you get it. So, yeah ask for a picture and explain your situation. By any chance did you let any friends borrow your car around that time?

No one borrows my car ever. And if they did, they'd never borrow it for a trip to NYC. But there was no picture. I'm going to go ahead and call the port authority on Monday and see if I can handle this over the phone, failing that I'll just mail in a copy of my registration and hope that the description of my car clears this up. If the person who blew through the EZ Pass lane drives a silver Versa, I could be fucked.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Seems kind of out there, but any chance this is a scam?

I'd at least look up the "customer service" number of the NYPA from their site and call that, instead of any number on the letter.

• Options
    To wrap this up, I called the Port Authority on Tuesday, explained my situation and gave them my plate numbers. They pulled up the image from the camera and basically said "Yeah, no way in hell the vehicle in the picture is a Versa hatchback" and dropped the case right there.

Not nearly as complicated as I expected it to be. Thanks everyone!