As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[!] Metal Gear Solid Mega-thread.

124»

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Igort on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Is this still the main Metal Gear thread? Because I was about to start a The Boss extreme run and was wondering what I should be stocked up on.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Last I remember (having done my Big Boss run like 3 years ago), it doesn't matter. Extreme lets you carry very little ammunition/items and doesn't let you use/buy the special tranqs. I remember stocking up on the special tranqs, thinking I could get around the ammunition limits but nope, waste of money. Oh and I'm pretty sure you can't buy tranq darts or stun grenades at all, so if you're going for Big Boss, conserve them. It really was a bitch to get.
    Yet I'd do it all over again if they patched in trophies...

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Barks wrote:
    MGS4 is beyond reproach in the way that if you honestly hate it, it seems absurd to love or even really like any other game ever made. It's fine to dislike it while respecting what it accomplished and understanding why it is a big deal, but to just flat out hate it and say that everything it was doing is bad is just in awful taste.

I have similar opinions with games like Shadow of the Colossus, Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, Silent Hill 2, and some others. Liking or not liking a game is personal, but realizing the accomplishment and craft put into these games goes beyond the personal enjoyment factor.

edit: Though beyond all this I still can't understand seriously disliking anything I mentioned here.

And for my money the best MGS in the series is 3, if for nothing else the absolutely stunning ending.

It's more like MGS4 takes an element of the series that was a negative for most people the whole time- the melodramatic, nonsensical, self-obsessed, pretentious story elements - and cranks it up to 11. Hell, it cranks it up to 111.

And it is a shame, because they give you so many awesome toys to play with and then after the first two levels they give you barely any time to play with them.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii