As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I haven't made an art thread in years

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Artist's Corner
I'm trying to do more than pretend I can design things.

QpG3P.jpg
H7MYV.jpg
l0tYp.jpg

I require feedback. <3

MKR on

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I think the Web Browser poster would be more interesting if it had some facts about the different browsers. The company behind them, motivation for making them, new things they brought to the table, market share... something like that. Also, I think you could come up with a stronger theme for the poster. If all of the text was placeholder text or it was in a different language, I wouldn't know what the poster would about. Use the design of the poster to strengthen the message to your audience.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote:
    I think the Web Browser poster would be more interesting if it had some facts about the different browsers. The company behind them, motivation for making them, new things they brought to the table, market share... something like that. Also, I think you could come up with a stronger theme for the poster. If all of the text was placeholder text or it was in a different language, I wouldn't know what the poster would about. Use the design of the poster to strengthen the message to your audience.

I wanted to get some feedback on the feedback from your feedback before going further:
    dqG2b.png

I'll put some representative icons next to each browser, like a little rocket silhouette for Chrome.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would venture to represent it visually some how, you want to make an infographic and not history class homework. A prettier version of this http://www.smashingapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/the-history-of-web-browsers.jpg would be cool. Think of how you can take data and make it something we can really read right away, without text. The band thickness really tells the story of Explorers popularity, and firefox cutting into that, and opera... not doing anything, for instance.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    You should focus on creating and using a grid to start with, so things will line up nicely/correlate/flow better. Do you know what I mean when I say grids? Like divide it up into 3x3 squares or something to align stuff to.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    I rediscovered GIMP's grid and grid snapping. :D

And doing it visually sounds great because all that text was getting messy. I'll work on that.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I'd go back to pen and paper before going into Photoshop or GIMP. I always have a much easier time coming up with ideas with traditional means and then realizing them on the computer. Your mileage may vary but it could be worth trying out.

That makes sense. The balloon punch doodle is more interesting than most of what I've come up with in GIMP. I will do that.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    With regards to that last timeline, you need to establish a bit more of a typographic heirachy. At the moment, the 'fact' text and the date text feel very same-y. There's also a fair bit of unused space, although I assume you're planning on filling that up with text. Also, definitely set up a grid, it should make things much easier for you.

I'm going to go back to the infographics later on.

HKskB.png

There's a mall nearby with an escalator that's always broken and blocked off. This is what I always think.

A windmill suitable for tilting.

Moe6B.png

Here's a concept piece for a print ad for my blog:
    GE7hY.png

That was a bit spur of the moment, so I'm pretty sure it's not in printable dimensions. D:

• thetobbythetobby Registered User regular
    Good start on the webrowser thing.
    You should add Netscape, lynx, links and other older browser.

Maybe writing some of the most revolutionising things they brought forth.
    Or on the art perspective, maybe try and mimiz the browser style font and into the lettering or arrow when it passes trough the different timezones.
    Borders on Mac 9.1 with netscape is different than seetrough border on win7...

I really like the clean look you made on the last image.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    MKR wrote:
    Here's a concept piece for a print ad for my blog:
    picture

That was a bit spur of the moment, so I'm pretty sure it's not in printable dimensions. D:

That looks like it's all in shapes and text though, so you should be able to scale it up to printable dimensions without it losing any information. :)

PSN: Honkalot
    edited October 2011
    Some text for no reason:
    w0DqK.png

Are there any licensing issues with using fonts that are installed with Photoshop in non-PS things? I've got an old copy of CS1 I could install for some nicer fonts.

MKR on
    edited April 2012
    dominance.png

Trying a different sort of thing. I get irritated by people saying Apple is going to take over the world.

MKR on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    MKR wrote: »

Trying a different sort of thing. I get irritated by people saying Apple is going to take over the world.

I agree, though I think you're misinterpreting the current state of affairs with nintendo... It sort of sucks cock... right now...

ninjai on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I'd say Nintendo :: Sony, Microsoft as Apple :: Google, possibly LG or Samsung.

Google is definitely in the hardware business now, with phones and chromebooks. They are unlikely to intrude on the ipod market, since they're looking well past it to cloud-based smartphone stuff. LG and Samsung are the biggest tech evangelists of late, as well as tablet and lifestyle computing powerhouses.

Altogether an insightful chart, but you might consider re-arranging it. The right column should at least line up in the same spot relative to the left column each time- apple, google is almost reading as being across from Nintendo. Another point to consider is the placement of your title/caption. Do you want the viewer to know first-thing that you will be showing them how dominance is temporary, or do you want to leave the chart's purpose open until the end and deliver a punchline? The current positioning of the title makes it ambiguous as to whether I'm to be reading it first (It is the left-most text) or last (it is the bottom-most text.)

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited April 2012
    How's this:
    dominance.png
    The rise and fall of monopolies is a noisy process. D:

MKR on