As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 8. Read this title as if it were in Segoe UI

2»

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I think some people are making a bigger deal out of some of these things than they need to be yet. This release is pretty clearly meant to get developers started on making Metro apps, learning WinRT and the other new features coming with Windows 8.

Also, I know elsewhere I saw people complaining about all links opening in Immersive mode IE. If you bring up the settings charm in IE, you can change that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    Funnily enough, Immersive Mode IE always breaks and never opens again after I install Chrome (probably because it changes the default handlers). Even if I tap the IE icon from the Metro Start view, it opens the desktop IE.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I think some people are making a bigger deal out of some of these things than they need to be yet. This release is pretty clearly meant to get developers started on making Metro apps, learning WinRT and the other new features coming with Windows 8.

Pretty much. That's why it's a "developer preview" missing most of the desktop/Metro integration.

TwinIon wrote:
    So far I'm unimpressed with the usefulness of Metro as a mouse based OS. Also, I hate hate hate hate hate that there isn't a search bar in the desktop. In Win7 I hit the windows key and start typing all the time. If it's not pinned, and there isn't a keyboard shortcut (device manager, for instance), I type it into the search bar of the start menu. It's possibly the best thing about windows 7 and I hope they bring it back soon.
    Cyvros wrote:
    Of possible interest to others: revised keyboard shortcuts for W8.

Win+<start typing> goes straight to searching apps. Win+W takes you to searching settings. Win+F begins searching files. And Win+Q brings up the search menu as a side pane that pops up if you're in desktop view.

Cyvros on