As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New video card, no picture at all.

FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello, I bought a gtx460 today. WHen I plug it in my computer seems to boot normally but i dont get any picture on my screen, even at the boot. I tried both slots on my pc no difference. I can see the fan spin on the card. If I plug both my new card and my old (a crappy ati 5570) I can get a picture from my ati card but once in windows I don't see any trace of my gtx 460. Online research has been of no help, and I have no idea how to figure out what's the problem.
A picture of the card plugged in my pc.
IMG_20111030_184610.jpg

Please help! :(

PSN: PatParadize
Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
Steam Friend code: 45386507
Fireflash on

• Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    It looks like there is another 6-pin power connector needed for the card. Try attaching another one. Maybe it requires two? I've not seen a card that has multiple not need them both, but I usually only deal with high end cards.

• Options
    Tzyr wrote:
    It looks like there is another 6-pin power connector needed for the card. Try attaching another one. Maybe it requires two? I've not seen a card that has multiple not need them both, but I usually only deal with high end cards.

Hmm, but the card only seems to come with one 6-pin cable that leads to 2 white plastic ends. I plugged them both. should it be another Y cable like that or should I be able to find a cable from my PS that has the black 6pin head that plug directly in the video card?

• Options
    Not sure why it came with only one, unless the makers assumed the computer (power supply) would have at least one, and here is another just in case it did not have two, or if you are running more than one video card.

Most power supplies I've dealt with had the 6 pin off of the power supply (at least one, if not two). Does your power supply not have one? If not, you might need to get another y-connector.

• Options
    Maybe it does. I had the store build this computer a few weeks ago. theres a bunch of cables crammed everywhere near the harddrive, hard to see what connectors there are. this is the model of my powersupply :
    http://www.microbytes.com/product_info.php?products_id=35261&language=en&osCsid=2369382992df8865384ac90d791ae87b

• Options
    Yeah, from the specs:

2 x 8 pin PCI Express power with detachable 2 pin section

Those should be it, you just need to remove the 2 pin section.

• Options
    Thanks a lot! I managed to get it to work now. I indeed had the cables needed. What I did not know was that all the unused outputs were hidden behind the drives with a tie-wrap!