As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Wednesday Nov. 9, 2011 - Their Name Means Big

2»

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    The way it usually happens is that I will roll into town in the middle of the night, and pick the entire place over for bugs and herbs I’ve never seen before. Then, I’ll stand in the town’s central fountain, eat everything at once, and trip my fucking balls off.

Trying this.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    We should make a mod where defeating giants makes them stretch their arms upward and they rocket up, saying "Suuuuuupermaan"

• Options
    the Professorthe Professor PONY ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE PONY ROMNEY WILL CUT YOUR FUNDINGRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So, guys, about Gabe's post.

I wonder what's behind his subconscious discomfort over the opposite sex?

Let's not have a 'HURF BLUH GABE IS GAY" post circlejerk, here. It's not that superficial.

I draw, and I find that if I have an issue, even a subtle one, it manifests itself in my work.

I defeat this by simply drawing the item in question until it's no longer causing me anxiety. I will also familiarize myself, with said item, in my own space.

If I'm not mistaken, Gabe's married. He has known his wife intimately. I can't fathom why he should still have problems rendering women.

If I were the jumping-to-conclusions sort - well, more so than usual - I'd posit SO issues. But that's a whole other bag of potatoes.

the Professor on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Let's not have a 'HURF BLUH GABE IS GAY" post circlejerk, here. It's not that superficial.

I draw, and I find that if I have an issue, even a subtle one, it manifests itself in my work.

I defeat this by simply drawing the item in question until it's no longer causing me anxiety. I will also familiarize myself, with said item, in my own space.

If I'm not mistaken, Gabe's married. He has known his wife intimately. I can't fathom why he should still have problems rendering women.

If I were the jumping-to-conclusions sort - well, more so than usual - I'd posit SO issues. But that's a whole other bag of potatoes.

So is it the intent of this post to invite us all to engage in a lot of stupid, pointless, baseless speculation and amateur psycho-analyzing about Gabe? Because I really don't see anywhere else this can lead.

• Options
    the Professorthe Professor PONY ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE PONY ROMNEY WILL CUT YOUR FUNDINGRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Gaslight wrote:

So is it the intent of this post to invite us all to engage in a lot of stupid, pointless, baseless speculation and amateur psycho-analyzing about Gabe? Because I really don't see anywhere else this can lead.

I may have considered the possibility.

I wouldn't nix some baseless speculation over Gabe's marital life, either.

the Professor on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Gabe's drawing has very strange hips, so maybe he just has trouble with that and it's not anything to do with his personal life!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

You might not nix that discussion but everyone else will. Have some respect for the guy on his own forums man. Be classy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Well, a tiny little human can kill a dragon. So logic would dictate that a GIANT human would be all the more powerful.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Falx wrote:
    The way it usually happens is that I will roll into town in the middle of the night, and pick the entire place over for bugs and herbs I’ve never seen before. Then, I’ll stand in the town’s central fountain, eat everything at once, and trip my fucking balls off.

Trying this.

I kinda feel like this would have been an even better comic!

• Options
    Gaslight wrote:

You might not nix that discussion but everyone else will. Have some respect for the guy on his own forums man. Be classy.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping we could speculate in a mature, respectful, tactful way, handling the subjects with the weight they carry. Hence, my earlier remark on not being a full-on silly goose and hurling around the gay card.

On the other hand, if we can't do that, I'd much rather do my speculation on my own, while we assume that this entire exchange never existed.

• Options
    rabidmuskratrabidmuskrat Registered User regular

My guess is he means it from a technical standpoint. Drawing women, in particular in cartoons/comics, requires a much more artful usage of curves. Men can be drawn in very angular ways, but doing that with a woman typically would yield something aesthetically displeasing. Looking at Gabe's art style, he does seem to employ more angular of drawings, so I can definitely see where women would be more difficult for him.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Maybe he has a hard time drawing women because most of the characters he's drawn repeatedly for the last +10 years have been dudes.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't know if it's just the particular style he was going for or something else, but his drawing does look kinda weird to me

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Maybe some things are difficult for an artist to render, like cars or feet or turtles because they in particular have a hard time doing it, for no reason at all other than it is hard for them. And maybe engaging in psychoanalysis of that difficulty when you don't know him, have never even talked to him, and don't actually know what the fuck you're talking about, is pretty stupid.

Rob Liefield can't draw feet. He also can't draw anything else, but he at least acknowledges the feet problem and finds ways to hide them at every opportunity. Do you imagine that he has some kind of foot hangup that blocks his ability? Perhaps a foot assaulted him in his youth, perhaps he was teased as a child over his elf like, small freak feet and it has haunted his subconscious for his entire life.

Perhaps he loved a foot, long ago, but the feeling was unrequited.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Well yeah, the legs are all over the place. I just don't feel the need to infer marital problems from his art issues.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    So how bout them dragons?

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    judging from the youtube videos, the giants aren't really all that, well, gigantic in this game

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

I am beginning to suspect that you aren't a real professor at all!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Are you kidding? This is the kind of shit that gets you tenure!

Gaslight on