As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Won't Auto Switch Audio Inputs When Switching Display

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
So my PC is set up to allow me to instantly switch between two displays: my standard PC monitor (HDMI) and my big screen TV (also HDMI).

Usually, I would have my PC instantly switch to the TV display by hitting the HDMI 3 input on my HDMI Switch. That much hasn't changed.

But I also had it set up that once it switched displays, it would also automatically pick the TV's audio source as the default device for sound. Here's a picture to better illustrate things:
soundr.jpg

Anyway, my current issue is that now when I switch inputs from my monitor to my TV, it won't automatically pick the HDMI Output as the main audio source; In fact, it won't even recognize that the source is plugged in unless I open up the Playback Devices under the volume icon, by which point it will automatically detect and switch to the HDMI Output.

This is a bit of a pain, since I set up my Harmony One so that I could instantly switch between my two inputs with the press of a button, but having to get up and manually open up the volume controls just so it can connect to the TV's audio source defeats that purpose. It used to do this on its own, but for some reason it doesn't now.

This is probably something that can be fixed through trial-and-error, but I'd like to save the guesswork and see if anyone here knows of a simple enough solution. Help would be appreciated, as always.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So, no one has any ideas how to fix this? It's real annoying how my PC won't detect my TV's audio output unless I open the Playback Devices menu. It used to switch to it on the fly, but stopped doing so for reasons unclear to me.

About the only thing I can think of is removing my TV as an audio source and have my PC rediscover it, but I don't even really know how to do that.

Please help me out.