As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Schools bills and loans

Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I understand these things can be very complicated for a number of reasons.
I only know a little and I just want to know if I'm sniffing down the right path before I start cramming ideas into my girlfriends head.

Anyway, my girlfriend attended one year of Pitt Greensburg.
Loans covered her first semester and she signed up for the next. However some time into the second semester it turns out her relative only cosigned for a semesters worth (for whatever reason) and shes been home now working attempting to pay off the second semester.

I just learned she signed up for a FAFSA and is going to attend a one year business school.

But it confounds me that she's going to be spending all this money (12k) when she could easily get another year out of Pitt with this.

Don't most school offer varying installment plans? Shes insisting what I'm saying won't work.
But I would imagine they'd work with her if she's going to take money elsewhere. They're a business in the end right?

I've just about convinced her to go down there and talk to someone, but I'm looking for a nod saying this is possible.

Mmmm... Cocks... on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Most colleges and universities are a bit more lenient than typical for-profit schools so its entirely possible you could talk them into anything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    But she won't know what could be if she doesn't at least try.

There is no harm in going to the College and talking to them about it.

• Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    The public university here is incredibly lenient when it comes to paying your outstanding balance, but I know they won't let you register for a new term if you owe over a certain amount (which I think is around ~$2200, or about the cost for one term of tuition). Your girlfriend's school is probably similar.

Anyway, is there any reason she didn't have the FAFSA sent to Pitt, too? If she can get money for this other school, certainly she can get money for her current one.

And, although you didn't ask, I would question the value of a one-year business school (it sounds like she's undergrad, and not getting an MBA or something). I have no idea what one could get out of that, other than a bill for $12k.

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Indeed, she's only been paying back around a hundred a month with a good 8k+* left to go. (as it turns out she has 2 semesters unpaid, she was there for 3 total)
    I imagine she couldn't send her FAFSA there if she wasn't attending school at the time, right?

The only thing I know about where she wants to go is that it's called DCI.
    Its a one year program.

*which seems high, but she was living on campus which also required a food plan etc.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    You can still apply for a FAFSA as long as you have intentions to attend, if I recall.

There's no reason to go to the 1 year business degree, the 2 year degree will be worth more, and will cost less.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    The school she is looking at is a for-profit school that doesn't offer degrees, but "certifications."

I'm not familiar with them in particular, but as a rule, she would probably be better off flushing that money down the toilet, since she wouldn't be wasting her time in addition to losing the money, then.

• Options
    What ^ he said.