As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Art Question

Super MikeSuper Mike Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
I have two options:

1) Foam posterboard
2) Masonite.

The foam board is light, cheap, and has the perfect pure white glossy surface for painting on with acrylics.

Masonite is more conventional and is supposed to be better than foam board for painting on and I'm willing to bet it is. But, it's heavier and probably a lot more pricey than foam. It's supposed to be more durable and permanent, but it also requires more prepping.

Canvas is nice but out of the question. Too inconvenient and takes too much prepping. And it's harder to frame and transport.

Has anyone ever used masonite? Is it worth it to upgrade? My goal is to paint a portrait for a friend for their birthday. Should I be worried about the foam board being flimsy or corroding? Is it a good idea to spray it with fixative or clear coat before I begin? I was thinking I'd make the sketch straight onto a foam board, clear coat it, paint over it, then varnish it. Can a foam board take that? Good idea? Bad idea? Is masonite my only choice for something like this?

Any insight is appreciated.

Super Mike on

• Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    uhhhh masonite is way harder to trasnport than canvas...and foamboard and acrylic is a bad mix. i would say masonite or canvas. get the pad canvas stuff if you have to. don't use foam.
    do use the q+a thread next time

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sorry, I was in a rush and didn't see there was a Q&A thread until after this was posted.. and I was like, aw, shit.

Are you sure masonite is harder to transport? Doesn't seem like it would be. I'll check it out though.

Super Mike on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think I've used masonite...but I coated it in glue and paper first to give it a textured green background. I don't see why you can't get a pre-made canvas and cut it with an exacto knife when you're done to frame it, or get one of those ones that's stuck to a board. It couldn't be any harder to frame than one of those boards. I think the foam boards should be out of the question. That's not any kind of surface to be painting on since it's so smooth, and it's not great quality. It's easy to beat up. So if you're really opposed to canvas, I'd do the masonite.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Its smoothness and glossyness was why I was considering it in the first place. Will paint not cling to it if it's too smooth or something? I'm not crazy about working on textures, but maybe I'm too used to pencil and I should want it in this case.

Super Mike on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    foam is totally wrong for painting.
    but if you want to try it go ahead. it will bend, absord too much, buckle...plus its weak. bad news.

NakedZergling on