As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[1/19/2012 GOP CNN Debate] Mitt the Ripper Is Gonna Get Newtered

18910111214»

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Considering he had to know the question was coming Mitt's response on tax returns was pretty horrible and rambling huh

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Considering he had to know the question was coming Mitt's response on tax returns was pretty horrible and rambling huh

I think it killed him, honestly.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man I hope Newt wins the primary, it would be such a gift from on high

I'm still cheering for Santorum.

Truly surprised he has made it this far, and really hope he goes all the way.

I strongly suspect Obama is going to enjoy destroying any of these guys in debates, but Santorum in particular just has so many angles of attack based on reprehensible opinions.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    The thing about Gingrich is that his reptilian brain is constantly at full speed. He would lie so shamelessly in every debate and every time a microphone approached him he would probably shock even Obama a bit.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

I really liked his near paralysis when asked "your dad released twelve years of tax returns because just one could be tweaked to look good. Will you?"

• Options
    PureDekadenzPureDekadenz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Phyphor wrote:

I really liked his near paralysis when asked "your dad released twelve years of tax returns because just one could be tweaked to look good. Will you?"

The campaign must have forgotten to program the tax-return answer routine into that unit. I think I have the assembler code around here somewhere...

PureDekadenz on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I loved it when Mitt just smirked when the crowd booed him at his tax return response. God he oozes arrogance, and deals with any and all criticism with petulance.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote:

I loved it when Mitt just smirked when the crowd booed him at his tax return response. God he oozes arrogance, and deals with any and all criticism with petulance.
    He is a control freak, after all.

• Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:

100 internetbucks for a .gif of him angrily stammering when called out on Romneycare/Tax Return (forgot which one)

• Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is endorsing Romney.
    I WANT TO BE YOUR VEEP

• Options
    Phyphor wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was something in that stammered response that was like "Well I mean I don't know how many years of tax returns I have laying around," and I immediately yelled BY LAW YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE AT LEAST SEVEN YOU SLIMY FUCK which caused some consternation for my parents.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Meh, the law doesn't require exactly seven, so it's perfectly plausible he has more than seven yet doesn't know how many he has. Hell I don't know how many I have in my records (I doubt it's above five to be honest). Seems to be a silly thing to get angry over.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Phyphor wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was something in that stammered response that was like "Well I mean I don't know how many years of tax returns I have laying around," and I immediately yelled BY LAW YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE AT LEAST SEVEN YOU SLIMY FUCK which caused some consternation for my parents.

You aren't required to keep any tax return by law, AFAIK.

If you are worried about an audit, then I think the IRS can only go back 7 years thanks to the statute of limitations, which is how people came to think of that as the number to have.

Besides, unless you itemize, then the IRS already possesses every detail about your returns since you started filing.

PureDekadenz on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote:

If you are worried about an audit, then I think the IRS can only go back 7 years thanks to the statute of limitations, which is how people came to think of that as the number to have.

Besides, unless you itemize, then the IRS already possesses every detail about your returns since you started filing.

I'm not sure how well a defense of 'my accountant is incompetent' will hold up for something like this. And do you honestly think that Romney doesn't itemize? The man is worth a quarter billion dollars and makes tens of millions of dollars a year from a job he quit over a decade ago.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    moniker wrote:
    Phyphor wrote:

I'm not sure how well a defense of 'my accountant is incompetent' will hold up for something like this. And do you honestly think that Romney doesn't itemize...

Oh I'm sure his accountant has all his records, but I don't think that there is a law that states that you must keep X number of returns. I could be wrong, so if you know of such a law, please post a citation so that I may stand corrected.

PureDekadenz on
  • Options
    moniker wrote:
    Phyphor wrote:

I'm not sure how well a defense of 'my accountant is incompetent' will hold up for something like this. And do you honestly think that Romney doesn't itemize...

Oh I'm sure his accountant has all his records, but I don't think that there is a law that states that you must keep X number of returns. I could be wrong, so if you know of such a law, please post a citation so that I may stand corrected.
    II. Statute of Limitations for Criminal Prosecution

A. General statute of limitations for criminal offenses arising under Internal Revenue Code is three years. IRC 6531.

B. A six-year statute of limitations applies to:

1. Willfully attempting to evade or defeat any tax. IRC 7201.

2. Willfully failing to pay any tax or file any tax return. IRC 7203.

3. Filing a false return. IRC 7206(1).

4. Aiding or abetting the preparation of a false return, claim, or other document. IRC 7206(2).

5. Submitting false documents. IRC 7207.

6. Interfering with the administration of the tax laws. IRC 7212(a).

7. Unlawful acts of IRS employees. IRC 7214(a).

C. Note - six-year statute of limitations for criminal tax evasion under IRC 7201 begins running on the day the last affirmative act is committed. U.S. v. Beacon Brass Co., Inc., 344 U.S. 43 (1952).

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    moniker wrote:
    Phyphor wrote:

II. Statute of Limitations for Criminal Prosecution

A. General statute of limitations for criminal offenses arising under Internal Revenue Code is three years. IRC 6531.

B. A six-year statute of limitations applies to:

1. Willfully attempting to evade or defeat any tax. IRC 7201.

2. Willfully failing to pay any tax or file any tax return. IRC 7203.

3. Filing a false return. IRC 7206(1).

4. Aiding or abetting the preparation of a false return, claim, or other document. IRC 7206(2).

5. Submitting false documents. IRC 7207.

6. Interfering with the administration of the tax laws. IRC 7212(a).

7. Unlawful acts of IRS employees. IRC 7214(a).

C. Note - six-year statute of limitations for criminal tax evasion under IRC 7201 begins running on the day the last affirmative act is committed. U.S. v. Beacon Brass Co., Inc., 344 U.S. 43 (1952).

Perhaps I am stupid, but I don't think any of that means, "must maintain 7 years of tax return documentation."

I sure as hell hope not because I don't have a freaking clue where 2009's docs are.

• Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    I dvr'd this, and am just watching it, and I have to wonder - how the hell is "Teleprompter" still a huge applause line against Obama?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    South host wrote:
    I dvr'd this, and am just watching it, and I have to wonder - how the hell is "Teleprompter" still a huge applause line against Obama?

Because it implies that a black man is stupid.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:

He is a control freak, after all.

And don't forget he doesn't want to be punished (by the voters?) for his success.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    South host wrote:

It doesn't though. That's what is so amazing. One of their side made a complete ass of themselves and they countered it by pointing at something Obama and everybody else does. How did that work? Well, it won't work in the general.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    there's no rule that you need to save your tax documents. but if you get audited you'll be up shit's creek without a paddle to defend yourself

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    South host wrote:

It doesn't though. That's what is so amazing. One of their side made a complete ass of themselves and they countered it by pointing at something Obama and everybody else does. How did that work? Well, it won't work in the general.

Racism doesn't have to make sense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I think every time Gingrich deflects or babbles away criticisms in the debates the base salivates at the thought of him going to the presidential debates and putting that smooth-talking rhetoric-reliant Obamer in his place, if you know what I mean (you do). They've endured Obamer's strutting for years and now they want to sublimate their resentful fury. Romney can lie and slander without remorse, but he can't channel that emotional need for revenge.

Of course, Obama isn't Romney. McCain and Palin were shameless attack dogs as well and Obama remained resolute.

Absalon on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    South host wrote:

Because it gets play on Fox News and Limbaugh.

Like, seriously, they exist in another world. There are memes and stories and scandals there the rest of the world doesn't even know exist.