As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Repairing a PS3 Controller

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy y'all,

My lovely wife purchased me a PS3 Slim for Christmas to replace my YLOD'd fat, 'cause I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $160 on something that has broken once already. Short story shorter, while playing Shadow of the Colossus I realized that the R2 button was broken.

Sony told me that they would send me a coffin for the controller. A month later they tell me that I have to send it myself to San Mateo CA and they will replace it, which seems a bit fucking stupid.

I'm a bit irked that I have to shell out my own money (I know it's like $5, but it's the principle of the thing and I'm a cheap bastard) to replace a controller that came broken out of the box, so I'm wondering if any of you guys know how easy it might be to fix this thing myself and what it might entail?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well, I don't have any particular experience in terms of fixing this stuff, but we actually managed to make our R2 button COME OFF the controller and later snap it right back in (once we got the spring thing that's supposed to go in it, etc., back into the plastic) pretty easily. Works fine now. So it should be fairly simple to put the button back if you take it off... I think.

Essee on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Open it with a screwdriver. See what you can do. Otherwise, swallow your pride and buy a new one. Why didn't you return the entire package (PS3 and all) immediately after realizing the controller was borked?

Esh on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Open it with a screwdriver. See what you can do. Otherwise, swallow your pride and buy a new one. Why didn't you return the entire package (PS3 and all) immediately after realizing the controller was borked?

You know, I never thought of returning the whole thing.

Fuck.

I actually don't know if I could have returned it, as I gave Future Shop a call earlier and they told me that I would have to deal with Sony either way. Too late now.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!