As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ting a Monkey

1656667686971»

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Accounting, why must you be so different?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Also, holy run-on sentence Batman!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    So I am writing something of a creepy sci-fi short story in the vein of H.P. Lovecraft, and similarly to how he frames his stories inside of reports and letters, I want to write the story in what appears to be a published journal article, citations and all.

I was wondering, do you think I should add an abstract? Because on the one hand a "scary story" does not lend itself well to being summarized before it even begins, especially when the point of the format is to establish a sense of credibility early on before getting to the more outlandish aspects of the story, but on the other hand I might be able to use the abstract as something of an attention grabber to draw the reader in immediately, and add some amount of tension to the intentionally dry beginning.

Just remember what makes Lovecraft work isn't the framing exactly it's how he manages to write a mostly first-person account and yet make the reader know more about what is going on than the narrator. And (almost) never show the monster.

Luckily I won't have the issue with showing the monster because there's not really a monster. The story is basically about a mysterious object and over the course of the paper the researcher has some revelations about it. And while I will give some amount of unreliable explanation of why events have occurred (the researcher's theories) and thus take away from the imagination, it's not really a horror story as much as it's a creepy story. It's not supposed to scare you, just kind of make you feel unease.
    Sarksus wrote:
    Winky don't directly reference anything in the abstract. It should read like an ordinary abstract and maybe imply some odd results.

Yeah, I was thinking it'd be something like this, in a "after reviewing this material we suggest a drastic revision to the prevailing understanding of this phenomenon" kind of way. Of course, this makes it a shitty abstract, but a better story!

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    haha two teenagers were fucking around with me when i walked tumbles

i swear

the 'stare at my dog' guy and the 'blame me for him almost running me over' guy and now the 'taunt someone and try to sound threatening when they're walking their dog' teens...

i'm going to have to beat the shit out of someone in my neighborhood for this to stop i guess.

Don't you OC?

I figure that would cut down on the BS thug-lyfe wanna bes talking crap.

Probably don't wanna bring a gun into the equation unless you must.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2012
    And now I'm off to bed. Getting up early tomorrow to talk to a doctor about my butt.

Ladies.

Echo on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    you may be a pussy.

Aw hell naw, them's fightin words!

I challenge you to a sauna-off, and you're gonna end up dried out like a bad casserole!

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Wow. Just found out that Ben Starr from the second season of MasterChef has actually started making youtube videos on cooking. He just taught me how to grill lobster.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "Argh, eat a dick, jungle! Cover it with malaria and leeches, sprinkle some dengue fever on it and EAT A BIG GODDAMN JUNGLY DICK!"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    you may be a pussy.

I challenge you to a sauna-off, and you're gonna end up dried out like a bad casserole!

dried.... out. In a sauna.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ugh, overslept by like four hours. Soooo groggy

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Probably don't wanna bring a gun into the equation unless you must.

Would you go up and start talking crap to someone who has a gun on their hip?

I know I wouldn't.

That's what I meant by the question.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    you may be a pussy.

You so bad at a sauna-off you dry out in a steam room.

• Options
    I've taken a sauna every time I took a shower for almost all of 2011. Let's do this.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    you may be a pussy.

Yeah. More dried out than me. Cause I'm more manly than you. Bitch!

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I want to take a sauna :(

I would be happy with a spa actually.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

i swear

the 'stare at my dog' guy and the 'blame me for him almost running me over' guy and now the 'taunt someone and try to sound threatening when they're walking their dog' teens...

i'm going to have to beat the shit out of someone in my neighborhood for this to stop i guess.

Don't you OC?

i CC, now.

but honestly in my neighborhood now (versus my old one) it's less 'thug life' guys and more like, insecure middle aged dudes. this is the first time i've had real problems with someone near my age. normally it's like, late 30s, early 40s (or older) dude puffing out his chest. i am going to end up breaking a fucking hip.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Why can't people call me before I'm just about to finally fall asleep?

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I've taken a sauna every time I took a shower for almost all of 2011. Let's do this.

Psh, that shit don't scare me! You Europeans only wash like twice a year anyway!

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    i know tattoos are 'for' me but i feel like if i only want them in out of the way places maybe i'm subconsciously embarrassed by them

come get your first tat in austin with me!

i have gone with two other friends for their first tattoos, it is the best

Gracie_Family_Jiu_Jitsu-logo-C4A9D29CF4-seeklogo.com.gif

i want this

on my back

???

that is terrible. find a better BJJ tattoo.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    you may be a pussy.

Yeah. More dried out than me. Cause I'm more manly than you. Bitch!

how the shit do you even dry out in a sauna?

what kind of horrible sauna do you have?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Organichu wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

i swear

Don't you OC?

i CC, now.

but honestly in my neighborhood now (versus my old one) it's less 'thug life' guys and more like, insecure middle aged dudes. this is the first time i've had real problems with someone near my age. normally it's like, late 30s, early 40s (or older) dude puffing out his chest. i am going to end up breaking a fucking hip.
    what the hell, man. I've never had anyone try to start shit with me while I walk Gus. I just have people rushing up to me to tell me how beautiful he is or they ask for directions and whatnot, because of my wise demeanor.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Thor complete, after an interrupting phone call.

I keep forgetting JMS was involved.

On to Iron Man.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    254537906_taieg-L-2.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.