As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: FiM: Transmuting Fanon Into Canon Since 2010

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Change it to Jayson Thiessen's normal speaking voice.

Nah, sign on Ron Perlman for the lines, and Liam Neeson the next time. Put no effort into making them sound similar.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've got it, hire Arleen Sorkin.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    66ad62c5ca8160eefbfc6c27f839e5fc.png
    what is this

Squeaky wheels, soaked in whine, being greased.

This is a quality post.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Change it to Jayson Thiessen's normal speaking voice.

Brilliant.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Huh. The faulty draft system actually made something work out.

Sort of

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyK_q5vZBRs

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well executed, SabreMau.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I can't believe no one thought of the children before airing that episode!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:

Why would the makers of this show think of the children?

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

Why would the makers of this show think of the children?

You always have to think of the children.
    Even if your movie/show is rated M you STILL need to THINK of the CHILDREN!!!!!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Alternatively, just get Tara Strong to do her Harley from Arkham City.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I can't not hear Twilight as Harley in AC.

I know Tara Strong is every female character (and Omi) in everything ever, but she's Twilight now.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    hm, they might actually edit the episode because of all the whining?

bronies should never wield so much power
    'Whining' seems a dismissive way to put it. "Derpy's portrayal came across to me as unintentionally insulting to the disabled" sounds like a valid concern to me. I don't care that much if they change the scene or not (though I admittedly would like it tweaked), but I would prefer them to be aware of the concern. Better some well-meaning brony on the internet than some enraged parent, at least.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Arteen wrote:
    "Derpy's portrayal came across to me as unintentionally insulting to the disabled" sounds like a valid concern to me.

yes, this would a perfectly valid complaint, although I do suspect that most of the people just dislike the way their favorite fandom character speaks in the show

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I can't not hear Twilight as Harley in AC.

I know Tara Strong is every female character (and Omi) in everything ever, but she's Twilight now.

Half the time, if the show is on, and Twilight is speaking, and I'm not looking at the TV, I wonder why Timmy Turner is writing a letter to Princess Celestia.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sibsy's thoughts on Derpy
    So maybe my head's been in the clouds, or maybe I've just been working too much (think it's the latter), but it's come to my attention that apparently in one of the recent MLP episodes there has been a big backlash towards Derpy.

From what I understand, as someone who boarded that episode, was that she was never meant to be displayed as "mentally challenged" but rather an accident-prone klutz. A pony that whatever they touched or did ended up in some sort of small chaos. She kinda reminded me of myself in a funny way. (Let's just say I was capable of getting 2nd degree burns from a grilled cheese sandwich only a few weeks ago)...derp.

It's sad to see that so many people are/were viewing her in a way that (I couldn't possibly think) was ever intended by the writers or the artists to begin with. The name Derpy I would assume was supposed to be a nod to the fans, and I was always under the impression that the internet term "derp" meant when someone screwed something up or made a silly mistake. The combination of her googly eyes, her fan given name, and now her animated "actions" would never make me believe she was mentally challenged.

Just my thoughts.

Sabby

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:
    Sibsy's thoughts on Derpy
    So maybe my head's been in the clouds, or maybe I've just been working too much (think it's the latter), but it's come to my attention that apparently in one of the recent MLP episodes there has been a big backlash towards Derpy.

From what I understand, as someone who boarded that episode, was that she was never meant to be displayed as "mentally challenged" but rather an accident-prone klutz. A pony that whatever they touched or did ended up in some sort of small chaos. She kinda reminded me of myself in a funny way. (Let's just say I was capable of getting 2nd degree burns from a grilled cheese sandwich only a few weeks ago)...derp.

It's sad to see that so many people are/were viewing her in a way that (I couldn't possibly think) was ever intended by the writers or the artists to begin with. The name Derpy I would assume was supposed to be a nod to the fans, and I was always under the impression that the internet term "derp" meant when someone screwed something up or made a silly mistake. The combination of her googly eyes, her fan given name, and now her animated "actions" would never make me believe she was mentally challenged.

Just my thoughts.

Sabby

Well that's basically how I saw it. It's baffling to me that some people saw the episode and their immediate reaction was "OMG they're making fun of the handicapped." Was there such a backlash against Snails when he made his debut? Probably not, because he's a male character and it's totally normal and acceptable to portray guys as slow-witted and oblivious.

Really, when I saw Derpy in action, it didn't remind me of a mentally handicapped person. (I work with somebody with a learning disability, and I have a cousin with a severe handicap, and I don't see any of them in Derpy.) If Derpy reminded me of anybody, it was me in elementary and junior high. ADD? Clumsiness? Convergence disorder? (Possibly) serious inner-ear problems? Trouble speaking? Yeah, that's all stuff I went through. So maybe her debut could have gone better. Her voice certainly could have been better. But disabled? That's a serious stretch.

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    what is this

People who felt uncomfortable with her portrayal are "whiners" now? Really? Really?

I was a fan of Derpy before the episode, but that voice . . . It wasn't just that it was deep or slow, it was the cadence of it. You should've seen how rapidly my face went from :D to D: as she started speaking.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    You're a whiner if you're telling them to fix the episode / take it down.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    Wow I'm going to be mad if they try and change Derpy though T_T

• Options
    edited January 2012
    LadyM wrote:
    what is this

People who felt uncomfortable with her portrayal are "whiners" now? Really? Really?

I was a fan of Derpy before the episode, but that voice . . . It wasn't just that it was deep or slow, it was the cadence of it. You should've seen how rapidly my face went from :D to D: as she started speaking.

It was only slow for the second line she spoke and to be fair Tabitha thought Derpy was a guy, which is why her voice is so deep.

BUT HEY! Snails is a guy, and his speaking lines are slow. So maybe they wanted to mimic his actions with Derpy. I dunno.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Has Derpy's gender ever been established? It's sometimes hard to tell, unless the pony is like Big Mac or the Flim Flam Brothers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    In show, no. The fans almost unanimously feel she is a girl, though.

• Options
    Well it has the character model of a female pony, so it must be a female pony.....right?

• Options
    Yeah, they've kinda clearly defined boy and girl ponies up to this point.

And really, the derpy voice problem is that it just sounds like someone making fun of down syndrome.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    she has eyelashes. everyone knows eyelashes = girl

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    She has visible eyelashes. That's pretty much a universal cartooning standard to indicate female.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Interestingly enough, the VA who did her voice apparently based it on a clumsy (boy) child she knew. While I can understand the VAs not really knowing the fandom that well, it confuses me why she would think that Derpy should sound like a young boy. She argues that the gender was 'unknown' which is kind of.. hrm.

• Options
    Oh great, time traveling posts now make it look like I was the slow one.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    you're not slow, you just have a deep voice

• Options
    Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    LadyM wrote:

Feeling uncomfortable is fine, and expressing that is also fine. That Is Complaining. But if people start asking that someone else's artistic product be altered for their own moral edification, THAAAAT is WHIIIINING.

Daddy Two-Coats on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well that's basically how I saw it. It's baffling to me that some people saw the episode and their immediate reaction was "OMG they're making fun of the handicapped." Was there such a backlash against Snails when he made his debut? Probably not, because he's a male character and it's totally normal and acceptable to portray guys as slow-witted and oblivious.

I'd bet money this is what they were going for with Snips and Snails. Edit - It doesn't like embedding, it's the scene from Strange Brew where they make their movie about 2051.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4KTebUT6Mw
    Really, when I saw Derpy in action, it didn't remind me of a mentally handicapped person. (I work with somebody with a learning disability, and I have a cousin with a severe handicap, and I don't see any of them in Derpy.) If Derpy reminded me of anybody, it was me in elementary and junior high. ADD? Clumsiness? Convergence disorder? (Possibly) serious inner-ear problems? Trouble speaking? Yeah, that's all stuff I went through. So maybe her debut could have gone better. Her voice certainly could have been better. But disabled? That's a serious stretch.

Derpy's voice bothered me at first, certainly not enough to write an email to the people who make the show. I watched it again and accepted it. I understand some people might be offended by it, but honestly, look at the show it's in, I highly doubt that was their intention. People who complained to the creators have apparently never seen anything on Fox, Adult Swim or Comedy Central.
    LadyM wrote:

Feeling uncomfortable is fine, and expressing that is also fine. In pony terms, That Is Complaining. But if people start asking that someone else's artistic product be altered for their own moral edification, THAAAAT is WHIIIINING.

Exactly. I was on here questioning it as soon as it happened, that's no big deal. Emailing the creators to have the episode edited/taken down/etc is a little much.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Blendtec wrote:
    I'd bet money this is what they were going for with Snips and Snails.

Racist

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote:
    People who complained to the creators have apparently never seen anything on Fox, Adult Swim or Comedy Central.

Or... Looney Tunes. That "slow-speaking-but-well-intentioned loveable idiot" character is an animation staple.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Blendtec wrote:
    People who complained to the creators have apparently never seen anything on Fox, Adult Swim or Comedy Central.

Or... Looney Tunes. That "slow-speaking-but-well-intentioned loveable idiot" character is an animation staple.

I almost forgot about every single episode of Pinkie and the Brain, although I suppose Pinkie was just insane, at least according to the opening song.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    W0yUW.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Blendtec wrote:

Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuN-tFvgRc0

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    Yes, I realized that the VA thought she was a guy. I never believed that any of the show's crew was intentionally trying to insult mentally handicapped people. Nevertheless, the whole scene comes across as "Wow, the mentally handicapped sure do RUIN everything, don't they? That's why it's okay to act really angry with them, like Rainbow Dash is."

This is a terrible thing to portray in a show for little kids, who soak up information from everything they come across like a sponge. I think that is why the "bronies" on EQD are forgetting . . . This IS a show for little kids, not "My Little Brony: Adults Watching Cartoons Are Magic". This is what makes it different from a show on Fox, Comedy Central, or Adult Swim.

• Options
    It can easily be fixed with a small tweak to the voice without completely redoing it. There is a certain element there that works, but it needs to be brought out.

Or they could go the completely opposite way and make her sound really smart to juxtapose with her clumsiness.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is accusing them of intentionally creating a bad message. But if a decent chunk of people will interpret it that way, then perhaps it could have been done better.

This discussion has been closed.