Options

Computer problem - possibly the motherboard?

lawngahnomelawngahnome Registered User new member
Hey guys,

My PC is having a problem where it can't do more than one task at a time. Doing so causes both graphic and audio glitches, as well as visible system slow down. For example, if I'm watching a video (netflix, off a hard drive, anywhere), and I'm trying to move a large file (even to a different hard drive), the video will lag (both sound and video). If I'm playing a game, and my internet browser is open to any page that autorefreshes (facebook, gmail, etc), the game will lag (again, audio and video drops, generally poor performance). If I'm playing a game that loads constantly (like Assassin's Creed) it's pretty much unplayable. I get horrible lag anytime the game has to load. If a game uses a video to hide a load screen (the opening of SWToR, ME2) the video skips.

Now, if I'm only doing one thing, like just playing ME2, just playing ToR, just watching a video, it's fine. Only when it loads in game, or tries to multitask do I see a performance drop. This happens all the time, not just under extreme load, or when the computer has been on for a while.

My rig is a AMD 6000+ (dual core, 3.0 I think), 4 gb ram, geforce 9800 GT, asus m3n78-vm, Sound Blaster x-fi xtreme Audio, Corsair 750 watt modular (total overkill, but it was a gift). It's about 4 years old, but it still makes rec specs on most everything, so I'd like to get a little more life out of this baby.

I think it's not the graphics or the audio card. If that is the case, I would see graphic or audio problems seperate from each other. If it was harddrive or ram failure, I'd have computer crashes, curropted data, etc. Since this problem seems to effect everything, I'm pretty convinced it's the Mobo, but I would love a second opinion.

lawngahnome on

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    To me it sounds more like your operating system is sick somehow. Maybe a driver conflict, virus or some other nasty stuff lurking about. or maybe it's simply your system drive that is filled to the max.

One way to test could be to download a "Linux on a stick" and put it on a USB stick or burn it on a DVD. That will let you boot to another OS without touching your current one and try maybe watching a movie and copying some files and see how it goes.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    lawngahnomelawngahnome Registered User new member
    That's definately a test worth trying. I keep my pc mega clean. The hard drive is never more than about half full, and virus was my first guess too, so I've ran every scan I can.