As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm terrified of meeting internet people in real life. I've done it twice. One turned out to be some horrible child abuser in a house that smelled like piss and shit. The other I married. For both of those situations once was enough.

I should note that's still married and happy. She just wouldn't appreciate it if I brought home another wife.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I have said for the last couple years I would do PAX East but have yet to actually show up. Maybe 2013 will be different.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Based on my total of 0 experience with PAX East and 5 Primes I have to say that Prime is the superior convention.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    How do you guys feel about the "Head First Into..." books? Specifically, the one on HTML and CSS.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I have 0 opinions either way, with any of the topics of discussion.

I actually met my fiancee through the tubes, but I had known her for like 8 years prior to meeting, I think we first started talking on AOL when it was charged by the minute.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    How do you guys feel about the "Head First Into..." books? Specifically, the one on HTML and CSS.

The head first books are ok tutorials, but they make for terrible references. This is coming from my experience with headfirst c and headfirst design patterns. Good for getting a grasp of the most basic elements, but you'll quickly want something more complete and in-depth.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Looks like we're moving our desks to the new room today. :-/ I'll miss hanging out in this thread.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Looks like we're moving our desks to the new room today. :-/ I'll miss hanging out in this thread.

It seems like they are promoting not using external resources for help.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Pfffft as if this thread ever helped urahonky's work!

:rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I never understood that. Why reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done that.

Just because I adapted monster truck wheels to my little honda doesn't mean shit guys.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ethea wrote: »

I think that if I turn off sigs it won't be too bad. I'll ease into it like an old man getting into a hot bath.

• Options
    Or a young man getting into a cold pool.

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »

Haha you have no idea the amount of heartache you guys have saved me. And 80% of the time you guys don't have to do shit... I just post my problem and TADAAH it works.

• Options

I think that if I turn off sigs it won't be too bad. I'll ease into it like an old man getting into a hot bath.

We have sigs on this forum???

• Options

Haha you have no idea the amount of heartache you guys have saved me. And 80% of the time you guys don't have to do shit... I just post my problem and TADAAH it works.

Do you ever do that at work?

Always have someone at the workplace that you wander to to chat or make a coffee run with.

I have a guy where I bring up the problem and usually I have the answer right after, and we just talk about it for a bit so that no one appears rude. :lol:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Yeah I do. But it's easier for me to type what I am thinking than it it is to say what I am thinking. My mind moves way too quickly for my speech, but my fingers type just about as fast as how I think.

• Options

Always have someone at the workplace that you wander to to chat or make a coffee run with.

I have a guy where I bring up the problem and usually I have the answer right after, and we just talk about it for a bit so that no one appears rude. :lol:

Yeah usually the best thing about team coding is being able to bounce ideas/bugs off each other. It's the same idea behind proof reading.

You'd be amazed at how many bugs I've fixed at my previous job that would've been production halting had we not anticipated it with team discussion like infidel is talking about.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    bowen wrote:

Yeah usually the best thing about team coding is being able to bounce ideas/bugs off each other. It's the same idea behind proof reading.

You'd be amazed at how many bugs I've fixed at my previous job that would've been production halting had we not anticipated it with team discussion like infidel is talking about.

Pair programming is weird and uncomfortable, but shockingly effective. I'd probably quit if I had to do it every day, though.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    We did do pair programming on our senior project. It was easier than splitting up the work because there was so little involved.

• Options
    Oh damn it. I'm losing this desk too and getting one that is roughly 1/3 the size. Sighhhhh.

• Options
    That is ridiculous, why?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    That is ridiculous, why?

Everyone is getting these desks that our manager is buying from IKEA. Supervisors/Managers get the desks I'm in right now.

• Options
    The new desks are flimsy and barely fit two monitors, a keyboard, and mouse. Now I'll have to find a way to hide my keyboard if I'm going to write something in my notebook.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular

^ THIS ^

It is amazing the amount of times that I'm having problems, and the simple act of describing it to someone makes the solution appear.

It's unfortunate that Most colleges still focus on individual programming projects, with a group effort thrown in for your final year. It's not how "the real world" works, and it stunts dev's growth into thinking that the only resource to use is themselves.

I'm of the opinion that "Mythical Man Month" nailed what a proper team environment should look like. It was basically a surgery model. One doctor running things, a bunch of nurses doing the heavy lifting, and orderlies to clean shit up.

• Options
    That is ridiculous, why?

Everyone is getting these desks that our manager is buying from IKEA. Supervisors/Managers get the desks I'm in right now.

Your workplace changes would make me want to get a new job if they happened to me.

• Options
    Well if that isn't ridiculous.

• Options
    That is ridiculous, why?

Your workplace changes would make me want to get a new job if they happened to me.

Yeah... But I have 0 experience so I'd like to stay for at least a year. Right now I'm going to grin and bear it. I do like the place, but it's just small stuff like this is what is annoying. Otherwise they're a really cool bunch of people.

• Options
    I also agree with Ethea. Also screams of DoD contractor anticipating major financial trouble.

• Options
    I also agree with Ethea. Also screams of DoD contractor anticipating major financial trouble.

Haha well we are a DoD Contractor, but we're actually expanding to a new office (doubling our office space) and so they are just going to get everyone the same desk. Right now there are like 8 different types of desks in this room and they're trying to make everything "prettier"

• Options
    In my mind nobody cool moves all the developers into a single room to be babysat by a manager / team lead. The company I work with does lots of Government contracts that require security measures and if anything bullpen or open cubicle layouts are a bad for that type of work.

• Options
    That is ridiculous, why?

Yeah... But I have 0 experience so I'd like to stay for at least a year. Right now I'm going to grin and bear it. I do like the place, but it's just small stuff like this is what is annoying. Otherwise they're a really cool bunch of people.

I was at a startup that got bought out by HP. The startup was frugal, but gave its engineers pretty much whatever they needed. Large cubes, Multiple monitors, free starbucks, free sodas, etc. They treated everyone really well. We even moved buildings when we were growing, and the CEO made sure to find something very close to the old location so as not to screw anyone's commute.

HP buys us. They chop everything. They consolidate into one of their other buildings, which is a real beast of a commute for half the old team. The cubicles were so small that you needed to get out to change your mind.

I've seen worse conditions actually. Bed Bath and Beyond had micro-cubicles and the worst coffee i've ever had the displeasure of tasting. Wal-mart corporate is absolutely insane, with EVERYONE, including the CEO and officers in cubicles. Sure, they were fancy cubicles with doors and all, but they were cubicles (cubicles are office supplies and amortize much faster than "building improvements" like offices). Furniture was generally Vendor samples, like you'd be talking to a guy with a $2b budget and sitting on lawn chairs. They only had 50MB exchange mail boxes. No internet, ever. No voicemail. They're cubes were smaller than BBBs. There were signs on what to do in case of a hostage situation. The amount of OrgB and corporate psych was sickening to the point where they had a sign in the bathroom that said "Please use one towel at a time to dry your hands." (Controlling basic bodily functions is a very very strong psych technique)

I can go on and on about wal-mart and the culture. I've had them come after me to move to Bentonville, and I point blank told the recruiter that I wasn't going to fit with their "culture". I'm honestly not sure why people buy into the whole (literal) song and dance (they do a literal WAL-MART chant at the beginning of each shift). They have fairly mandatory church services on Sunday's in Bentonville, we as a vendor had a guy that would attend them for us and "testify".

Wal-Mart is weird.

• Options
    Wow what

• Options
    What the hell is going on at Walmart??

• Options
    Yes, Walmart is weird.

Don't hate them for their business. Nothing wrong with business, more or less.

Hate em for their god damn cult bizarro shit!

(My ex was an employee for years.)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    As an aside, they really do run their business like shit too.

• Options

I'll disagree, they run their business in the most efficient way that they can conjure up. They treat their people like shit, and the cult of wal-mart is very real.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Re PADev site

I probably have some code to work on for some web stuff soon.

A friend of mine just completed this site: http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/aj2012/

He's planning to opensource the code for his custom made animation framework and I was planning to help him add some features.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    Joe K wrote: »

I'll disagree, they run their business in the most efficient way that they can conjure up. They treat their people like shit, and the cult of wal-mart is very real.

This is how I mean. Sure they move product fast and cheap and make lots of money, but that's only one side of business.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't been put out of business by fed up vendors and competition yet, judging just by how they treat food suppliers honestly. And workers who could unionize and destroy that place.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Don't they just shut down any stores that attempt to unionize?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Don't they just shut down any stores that attempt to unionize?

Yeah. I can't imagine they'd be able to shut them all down though.

I should go around putting up union flyers at all the local wal-marts.

Win-win. If they shut down, I get rid of a cheap shitty store, if they don't, hey maybe they'll unionize.

This discussion has been closed.