As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vikings will drink mead from your skull!

DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, it's been a long time!

I hope you didn't forget me, I've been extremely busy with school and working and trying to get internships and painting every chance I get. Hopefully, by starting this thread it'll make me come back to this forum that helped me so much in my path to become and artist. Really, I would probably not be where I am without the advice and help from a lot of you guys, so thanks!

Anyway, a little introduction to those who don't know me. I go to the Academy of Art in San Francisco and I'm working towards an Illustration degree. I want to work at a game/movie company doing concept art and character design while also doing some traditional illustration on the side, maybe down the line getting into fine art as well.

I am constantly looking to improve and readily welcome critiques and criticism about my work so feel free to let me know what you think!

I have a lot of stuff to show you guys and I don't want to bombard you with a ton of images all at once so I'll try to spread it out.

Joan of Arc
joan-of-arc-web.jpg

Jabberwock Concepts
jabberwockfinalweb.jpg

Ranger
rangerweb.jpg

Vikings!
vikingthumbsweb.jpg

vikingsketchweb.jpg

vikingbruteweb.jpg

These are all for a project at school, not under any NDA, but I won't really go into details about it.

draculaweb.jpg

frankweb.jpg

ileanaweb.jpg

redfordweb.jpg

CastleFrankv3web.jpg

Castledraculav3web.jpg

Hope you liked it, please visit my blog for in-progress work and preliminary stuff for a lot of other pieces. I can post some of that here as well later, if you guys would like.

DeeLock on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your rendering skills are getting really impressive dude, its nice to see your work again.

crit wise, something is slightly off in your gesture, some of your figures seem stiff, and others the feet aren't properly planted. Like that big brute viking has his back legged turned out, but his pose suggests he would be in wide stance with his feet sturdy and facing mostly forward. Just a little attention to it would make a world of a difference.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Awesome work dee, but yeah, I'd pretty well much repeat everything Iruka said, except with less eloquence and more cursing.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what iruka said about stiffness is definitely a factor, and I'd watch your proportions. Arm lengths especially seem quite erratic, and sometimes it looks like you haven't spent enough time laying structure down before diving into painting - the Joan picture, for example, has a particularly skewed face. But I'm loving your lighting, and the jabberwocky concepts are awesome!