As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommendations for a Car MP3/Phone Mount Holder

NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + FlowSeaRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently bought this car device mount so I could mount my mp3 player in my car and wow, the thing that came in the mail looks nothing as pictured and functions absolutely horribly. After four days of use, the thing can't even stay attached to the windshield, and when it is attached lets out a wonderful clickty-clack noise as it vibrates that is extremely annoying.

Thankfully, it was dirt cheap so I don't feel too put out but I'm quite leery about buying another car mount sight unseen. Does anyone have a recommendation for a solid car windshield or dash mount for mp3 players/phone (hell, even a vent mount wouldn't be so bad if it works)? First hand experience with the product you'd suggest would be greatly appreciated.

In case you were curious about my vehicle layout, I drive a '07 Chevy Malibu. The contour of the dashboard means I pretty much have to mount anything on the windshield, or buy a vent-mounted device.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
Naphtali on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    What kind of mp3 player is it?

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    I use a similar design but with a small adhesive 'ball' mounted directly on my dash... i also found that the window mounts and vent mounts tend to suck and make noise... the adhesive mount, tho a lot more permanent, seems to work great

it's similar to this (i can't seem to find my exact one):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Cell-Phone-1-Inch-Multi-Angle-Adhesive-Dashboard-Console-Mount-/260953157488?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc2052f70#ht_3903wt_1139

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    What kind of mp3 player is it?

zune 80gig. pretty small footprint, about an iphone 3/4's I think.

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    Do you have a cup holder that's accessible?

If you do, I've found THIS mount to be fantastic. I've had it for going on 1.5 years and it has been great so far.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Do you have a cup holder that's accessible?

If you do, I've found THIS mount to be fantastic. I've had it for going on 1.5 years and it has been great so far.

I would like to avoid that option if possible. My previous (and now current) arrangement was just sticking the device on top of a cup holder, and hoping it didn't bounce out of it and go flying when hitting bumps. And when I have passengers in the car, I need the cup holders free so then it has to get moved somewhere or stuck in the armrest cavity and its just a mess.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Do you have any kind of dash setup that would allow for a screw to be removed and the screw and hole used to mount something that way unobtrusively? I have a variant of this that I've used for two different GPS units (it's a fairly universal setup, with the actual mounty bits being modular), and I was able to use a preexisting screw in the underside of the overhanging bit of my dash to mount it.

8aVThp6.png