As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sidewalk Chalk Art - what sort of materials do I want?

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited March 2012 in Artist's Corner
So my mom is going to be staging a charity sidewalk chalk art festival thing in a few months. She has, because she is a crazy person, told the sponsors buying up the squares that she will be providing the chalk. (Technically, she also told them she will be providing the artists if need be, before bothering to see if she could actually find a substantial number of good artists. She is terrible at this. Whatever.)

Anyway, I am helping her research what sort of chalk to use. What I have found ranges from this, on the high end, to this, on the low end. I have worked with the latter, briefly and non-seriously. It was... fine, but I am unconvinced I could get from them those the kind of awesome, professional-looking results you see from people who know what they're doing. The former look nice and quality, but if my mom is dropping $35-70 per artist on chalk, she will be completely boned.

So, anybody here familiar with this sort of thing? Can a good artist get decent results from the cheap stuff? Is there a happy medium somewhere that is nice yet non-exorbitant?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I think the best solution would be to have her provide plenty of the cheap chalk. Then, have her tell the artists that they are welcome to bring their own chalk if they have a preference.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That was my first thought, but I wanted to avert a situation where she provided something that was actively insulting or clearly unsuitable. Like going to an art class that says they'll provide materials and the professor hands out packets of crayons from IHOP, or something.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.