As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] HandHeld Tournament Guide 2012

ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge ManagerSeattleRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
If any of you follow our twitter @HandHeldLounges, you already know most of the haps! BUT, now that we have the final details from Nintendo, all of the tourney info can be posted :D

First things first, look at the shiny: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/category/hh
NOTE: All tourney sign-ups begin Friday as soon as the doors are open. Unless otherwise state, the cap is 64 total participants for each game. We are using the 2 first round system again (sign up for one, not both).

Secondly, rule mongering:
Tetris DS and Mario Kart DS - SAME AS IT EVER WAS - But really, most of you know the score. For those uninitiated, the rules will be posted on site, and you can ask here if need be.

Mario Kart 7 - Folks will be using their own Ghost Data. We will have a few to-borrow copies, and we'll do our best to get them up to speed by the tournament.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - Teams will be put together to play rounds of Light vs Dark BUT the highest score moves on, not the winning team. Assuming 72 participants, 12 will move on to the final round where everyone will play 3 rounds of Light vs Dark in random match ups. Those 3 scores will be added up to determine the overall tourney winner!
Banned Powers
• Libra Sponge
• Pisces Heal
• Trade Off
Banned Weapons
• Magnus Club
Your friendly neighborhood HH Enforcers and Nintendo staff will be on hand to make sure everyone's power and weapons list is kosher.

As always, we're super excited to see old and new attendees alike and hope everyone else is pumped for some good times!
P.S. The skittle fairy may make a comeback. >_>

Scoots on

• Options
    KhmerrougeKhmerrouge Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Scoots wrote:

Mario Kart DS - SAME AS IT EVER WAS - But really, most of you know the score. For those uninitiated, the rules will be posted on site, and you can ask here if need be.
    I have never done a Mario Kart DS tourney before, what are the standard rules?

Khmerrouge on
  • Options
    ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Khmerrouge wrote: »
    Scoots wrote:

Mario Kart DS - SAME AS IT EVER WAS - But really, most of you know the score. For those uninitiated, the rules will be posted on site, and you can ask here if need be.
    I have never done a Mario Kart DS tourney before, what are the standard rules?

A) wonderful handle
    B) The basics are 150cc karts and random courses. Also, no snaking. We frown highly upon snaking. Single elimination with the top 4 moving on to the final round. In the final round we do an actual grand prix.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Interesting rules for Kid Icarus. Why do Light vs Dark instead of just Free For All? Seems to just complicate things.

• Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    What is snaking?

• Options
    KhmerrougeKhmerrouge Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    Weird that snaking is banned since it is built into the game since Mario Kart 64, banning it seems a bit drastic.

• Options
    Geod wrote: »
    Interesting rules for Kid Icarus. Why do Light vs Dark instead of just Free For All? Seems to just complicate things.

These would be the rules handed down from Nintendo. I think it makes the first round more interesting for sure.

On Snaking: The usual answer is, if you don't know what it is, you shouldn't have to worry. And if you do know what it is, don't abuse it and please don't complain about not being able to use something that is an exploit.
    We try to make these tourneys fun and accessible to everyone and would like to keep it that way.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    For Mario Kart 7 and using ghost data, does that mean no live racing? I want to play in one of the two MK tournies.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Scoots wrote: »
    Geod wrote: »

These would be the rules handed down from Nintendo. I think it makes the first round more interesting for sure.

On Snaking: The usual answer is, if you don't know what it is, you shouldn't have to worry. And if you do know what it is, don't abuse it and please don't complain about not being able to use something that is an exploit.
    We try to make these tourneys fun and accessible to everyone and would like to keep it that way.

So, by snaking, it's referring to the use of the drift boost on straightaways? Are people still allowed to drift boost on turns?

• Options
    MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    I assume they mean no this:

http://youtu.be/dAwOYrTzPk4

• Options
    yeah that's a poor example though because so much of that track could be considered "turns". Drift boost is an important part of the game, so I'm wondering if it's banned entirely or if they have a specific idea of when it's "normal" drift boosting and when it's snaking.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    An example is the very start of that race in the video. It is completely straight and there is no need to boost like that. But yea, that map has a nice amount of turns that I would try to drift once or twice. I am by no means a booster, but if there is a turn that is able to be drifted on, I will try it, you know?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    yeah that's a poor example though because so much of that track could be considered "turns". Drift boost is an important part of the game, so I'm wondering if it's banned entirely or if they have a specific idea of when it's "normal" drift boosting and when it's snaking.

Point taken. I found a better one:

http://youtu.be/Ns2OSG92jUQ

Morganstern on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I got second place in the PAX East 2010 mkds tourney... I really want to play this time, but the times are just god awful for me

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

Point taken. I found a better one:

That still doesn't answer my original question about whether or not regular drift boosting around turns will be banned or not.

• Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    For Mario Kart 7 and using ghost data, does that mean no live racing? I want to play in one of the two MK tournies.

Its more you can use your ghost data/personal pimped kart if you want.

AGAIN ON SNAKING
    It is not the same as drifting around a corner. The start race boost is fine if you can do it. (lord knows I almost always fail at it)
    Snaking as we consider it is the back and forth boosting on straight aways.

• Options
    I got second place in the PAX East 2010 mkds tourney... I really want to play this time, but the times are just god awful for me

Sorry! To fit everything in this weekend, those were the best times. Remember that there are two first rounds to choose from. Hope you can make it.