As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Myths & Monsters, of Brawls & Uprisings: The Kid Icarus Thread

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    How long does it take to become enamored with the controls? Because, while they're serviceable, they're still not very comfortable to me. I've seen people online saying that these are the best TPS controls they've ever used and I wonder if it just takes some time or something.

The game itself is fucking incredible. I wish I could play with dual stick controls, but this is good enough. The flying sections are the highlight for me... the closest we've got to Panzer Dragoon since Orta.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    How long does it take to become enamored with the controls? Because, while they're serviceable, they're still not very comfortable to me. I've seen people online saying that these are the best TPS controls they've ever used and I wonder if it just takes some time or something.

The game itself is fucking incredible. I wish I could play with dual stick controls, but this is good enough. The flying sections are the highlight for me... the closest we've got to Panzer Dragoon since Orta.

It took me a few playthoughs. Aggravated, I switched the crosshairs to the face buttons. I went back to the default controls and couldn't go back. Once you learn to relax your left wrist you can't go back.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Try out different hand positions and setups - use the stand, a tall table, etc.

If you aren't already, try wrapping your stylus hand pinkie around the system to help support it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    I just don't think there's any point in even having difficulty levels in a game like this if you can just start from a checkpoint with no penalty. And you said it yourself, losing hearts isn't a penalty if what you're really trying to get is the "9.0" badge on the stage select, or unlock a spot on the treasure hunt. This system isn't perfect, but the only reasonable alternative to me is just making you restart from the beginning every time, and this is much better than that.

The way it is now already makes it easier than it should be to cheese through intensity levels lower than the maximum. If you want to beat it at 8.0, the easiest way is to start at 9.0 and get as far as you can, then restart from a checkpoint at 8.0.

The bandaid fix would be:

Part 1 - You die. You're given the option of Continuing on a lower difficulty (like it exists now) or to expend all your hearts to have a 2nd go on the same difficulty.

The kicker is that you only get one more chance. The lower difficulty option is infinite, but by sacrificing your bet of hearts, you effectively only spot yourself one more chance. I.E. what Crisis Mode does.

Part 2 - You die again. Now, since all your betting hearts are gone, you're forced to go with the lower Intensity format.

The reason why its a bandaid fix is because it still doesn't inherently solve the issue of long levels and difficulty pacing. But its a little something-something.

I actually feel like the Intensity system is pretty damn brilliant. However, perhaps the style of game needs to be changed. Like the Air Battles and Ground Battles, which probably would work better in Acts (unlocked after you beat them in their entirety for the story). It would alleviate some of the pressure that comes with the Intensity system. The powers are a bit like your lifelines, too, right? It'd be great if some of them were straight-up infinite use and didn't take up a slot, like Sky Jump or the Item Throw. As far as I know, there's no Risk/Reward to keeping every single one of them intact till the end, so often I may end up not using any at all (or splurge on them if panicked).

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    That would work for me if you could only try again at the boss fight, because the game refills your life at that point anyway so you won't be given any free health in exchange for dying. But if you sacrifice your entire cauldron to do it, then failing would mean that you have to start back at 2.0 intensity or restart.

I wish some powers were passive effects, like stickers in Brawl.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    TSR, I spent the first two hours fiddling with the controls, have played the game almost thirty hours and I'm not entirely sure I have them completely to my liking yet.

I still switch them up from time to time based on which weapon I'm using and what I intend to do with said weapon.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TSR, I spent the first two hours fiddling with the controls, have played the game almost thirty hours and I'm not entirely sure I have them completely to my liking yet.

I still switch them up from time to time based on which weapon I'm using and what I intend to do with said weapon.

That's what I do; I find I like buttons more on the ground if I'm using a more melee-intensive weapon, like a club.

Also, I tend to play while laying on my back, on the sofa or in bed, with the device resting on my chest. Works pretty well for me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Best ground control setup:

Horizontal reticle movement: right in the middle, or slightly higher. This you will have to tweak to your liking.

Vertical reticle movement: most of the way turned up (fast). You have such a small vertical range in this game that it's nice to be able to pop up and down quickly.

Reticle stopping speed: most of the way turned down (slow). Your natural "gamer" inclination might be that you want the reticle pointing exactly where you want, no extra movement, but that's very detrimental in this game. It's easy to give the camera a flick and stop it again when it reaches the angle you want.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have the sensitivity turned all the way up on both vertical and horizontal (I don't like the feeling of one being faster than the other) and the stop speed almost all the way down. Edit: Actually I had to turn the vertical sensitivity down just a bit for it to feel the same both ways.

I really like the "inertial aiming" thing, and it's really something that you couldn't do with any other controller or input device. The only problem I have is that the reticle seems jumpier than other games, like it's not using the full resolution of the touch screen to calculate movement, and plus it's choppy compared to games that run at 60fps.

I would probably actually like the ABXY aiming scheme if you could adjust the acceleration. Same with the circle pad aiming (though I can't get used to the reversed controls), which is also way too sensitive. They clearly didn't put much effort into these control options. Or test them.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I have the sensitivity turned all the way up on both vertical and horizontal (I don't like the feeling of one being faster than the other) and the stop speed almost all the way down. Edit: Actually I had to turn the vertical sensitivity down just a bit for it to feel the same both ways.

I really like the "inertial aiming" thing, and it's really something that you couldn't do with any other controller or input device. The only problem I have is that the reticle seems jumpier than other games, like it's not using the full resolution of the touch screen to calculate movement, and plus it's choppy compared to games that run at 60fps.

I would probably actually like the ABXY aiming scheme if you could adjust the acceleration. Same with the circle pad aiming (though I can't get used to the reversed controls), which is also way too sensitive. They clearly didn't put much effort into these control options. Or test them.

As someone that played a shitton of Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament Online using the Dreamcast controller, I would have loved if they included a "movement with the face buttons" and "aiming with the circle pad" option.

I would have felt right at home.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    You can do that. That's what I was talking about with circle pad aiming. The sensitivity is kind of wacky but it works alright.

• Options

As someone that played a shitton of Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament Online using the Dreamcast controller, I would have loved if they included a "movement with the face buttons" and "aiming with the circle pad" option.

I would have felt right at home.

Not only do they have it, it is what I use for melee weapons.

• Options
    Do they? I don't recall seeing it. I'll have to check when I get home.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Maybe they don't have it and I reversed that.

• Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    what powers do you guys use

i just got this angel light lvl 4 thing i might try. Super armor is awesome. Health recovery is alright, usually dont have time to use it. ummm. petrification attack is okay. reflect barrier has saved me. mega laser owns

iowa on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I keep getting kind of worthless powers like fireworks or increased hearts. I do have one that creates a big explosion which is ok though. And cure status effects is useful for higher difficulties.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I always use Health Recovery, just in case my health is low after an encounter and there's no food around. I like the Mega Laser and Meteor Shower ones, I usually stick those in there if I can fit them. Pisces Heal is a godsend if you're fighting a tough boss (absorb attacks as health that would otherwise kill you). Rocket Jump is neat, because it does the same thing as Sky Jump, but it also damages enemies nearby.

• Options
    There are tons of great powers depending on what exactly you want to do.

Super Armor and tiredlessness are probably the two most common.

• Options
    There's almost TOO many good powers. I tend to gravitate towards the same ones over and over.

Fuck those really weirdly-shaped ones, like Slip Shot. Hogs up all the space.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Maybe they don't have it and I reversed that.

Sure enough, its in there.

Oh my god the game is so much more fun now.

Edit: Tried bumping the intensity up to 7...died in the first 30 seconds of the stage. Hah.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I really like the "inertial aiming" thing, and it's really something that you couldn't do with any other controller or input device

Er, it's emulating a trackball.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    are there hacks in this game

cuz i owned this guy w japanese name when he was angel then was auto errored out

looks like haxx

iowa on
  • Options
    I finally found a control scheme I really like. I turn on autofire, which lets me cradle the 3DS with both hands a bit better to provide support, and I turn horizontal movement way up so I don't have to flick very hard with the stylus to rotate around. I have vertical movement turned way down so that I can move the retical around the screen without disorienting myself, which is important with auto-fire on, as the only real way to charge a shot is to simply hang around a part of the screen with no enemies. With the vertical movement turned way down, I can hang the retical at the top of the screen to charge a shot without the screen moving.

It feels pretty good and I've gotten the hang of the controls this way. I'd still probably prefer dual sticks, but this isn't hampering my enjoyment anymore, and I'm free to enjoy what is one hell of a game. Even better - this control scheme really prevents the 3DS from moving around too much in my hands, mainly because I have two hands gripping it this way (I curve my pinky around the right side which holds the stylus) and thus I can crank that 3D effect without fear. With 3D on, this game can be stunning in spots.

Aside from Starfox 3DS, there hasn't been a game on the 3DS which kept me coming back again and again. Sonic Generations was alright, I didn't really like Mario Land, and Zelda just made me want to play the game on a big screen again. But this game has me hooked, to the point where I've finally set my Vita down for a while. Great game.

• Options
    Autofire stops dodging in aerial missions which is unacceptable in higher difficulties.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    so my 5.5 star ranged viridi palms are pretty obscene. i enjoy killing people with hearts. spamming hearts of pain. is 6 the highest damage?

anything with 6 stars must pretty much be game breaking i imagine.

iowa on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    iowa wrote: »
    are there hacks in this game

cuz i owned this guy w japanese name when he was angel then was auto errored out

looks like haxx

You know something? I'd be lying if I said this didn't happen to me too. I've gotten errors after winning against Japanese players.

• Options
    sniping the angel from across the map with a mega laser. feels good man. the reach on that is so far its hilarious.

id stop playing this game if it werent for super armor. dang it owns

• Options
    Autofire stops dodging in aerial missions which is unacceptable in higher difficulties.

Which is why you keep your retical in a corner of the screen unless you're firing. It's not hard, and I'm playing the game at the hardest difficulty.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I just got this game. It seems pretty good.

Does the rate you get hearts at ramp up significantly on later levels and higher difficulties? Most of the weapons in the shop are quite expensive.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just got the "Tag 3 people in a row playing the same game" achievement. Thanks KI:U!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Question. In the treasure hunt, there's an achievement for narrowly avoiding 5 shots total while in air battles. I've beaten the game and the records tell me I've done this zero times.

How would I do this?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I just fused an Angel Bow with 6 stars in both Melee and Ranged. Too bad I hate it.

darunia106 wrote: »
    Question. In the treasure hunt, there's an achievement for narrowly avoiding 5 shots total while in air battles. I've beaten the game and the records tell me I've done this zero times.

How would I do this?

This took me a while to figure out too. You just have to get really close to incoming beam attacks without getting hit and it'll play a little animation letting you know you narrowly avoided it. Edit: In air battles. I don't think you can do it in ground battles.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I really wish they implemented a dual-circle pad control scheme. Using the face buttons to aim seems to work the best with me, but it does lose that kind of precision and snappiness of movement and aiming that a dual-stick setup can offer. The touchscreen aiming feels very disjointed; I just feel better with the system in both hands.

Last night I narrowly beat Hewdraw Reborn in Crisis state - I didn't even know there was a treasure hunt challenge attached to that. Chapter 7 is full of crazy tough stuff, though, and it's way too easy to dash around while trying to move slowly. Loving the game so far despite the finicky controls.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    So apparently Play Dead makes you invincible as well as invisible, and it lasts 5s per level if you don't move around. I can see this being abused horribly with ranged weapons (combine homing, slip shot, invisible shots for even more cheese)

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    bumblebee lvl3

dodge all attacks by vanishing and circling around the enemy in an instant.

this power owns

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    iowa wrote: »
    bumblebee lvl3

dodge all attacks by vanishing and circling around the enemy in an instant.

this power owns

Oh man, I need that for the enemies that you can only hurt from behind. It makes me dizzy trying to circle around them. :-p

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Messed around with Staff weapons earlier tonight. They are essentially sniper rifles, right? Is there a trick to zooming in with them? I haven't found a consistent way to do it yet.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Messed around with Staff weapons earlier tonight. They are essentially sniper rifles, right? Is there a trick to zooming in with them? I haven't found a consistent way to do it yet.

Double tap and hold the screen to zoom in. You can do this with any weapon (staffs zoom in further). You can also press and hold the view change button.

Edit: If you use the view change button it will zoom out as soon as you let go, but using the touch screen there's a delay so you can aim while zoomed in.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Double tap and hold the screen to zoom in. You can do this with any weapon (staffs zoom in further). You can also press and hold the view change button.

Edit: If you use the view change button it will zoom out as soon as you let go, but using the touch screen there's a delay so you can aim while zoomed in.

Double tap and hold huh? I'll give that a try. If it doesn't suit me, maybe I'll assign the "up" on the d-pad to zoom. Never gonna use it to fire so....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I've managed to get +3 Running Speed on my Raptor Claws. I'm the goddamn Flash.