VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    thinkgeek party wtf

you hatin' bro?
    no it sounds unfairly awesome

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Favorite snack is FiberOne brownies. They have fiber in them so they're healthy.

And it makes everything come full circle

Brown in, brown out

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It is important to remember that the history of the Mormon church isn't EB's fault and really shouldn't change what he gets out of his religion anymore than the history of anything should do anything to what we get out of it now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It is important to remember that the history of the Mormon church isn't EB's fault and really shouldn't change what he gets out of his religion anymore than the history of anything should do anything to what we get out of it now.
    Why not? It is useful for seeing whether claims are accurate. You have little else to go on other than history.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The earliest known printing of "go fuck yourself" is, of course, related to sports. And, in the same letter, the earliest known printing of "cocksucker." I should have known.

"Cunt-lapping dog" also makes an appearance, but that never caught on. It should have.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/06/special-instructions-to-players.html

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Is it really an insult to lap cunt.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    If Riemann was on right now you guys would be getting an earful btw

meh, i've heard it all, sometimes its just fun to talk about it.
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    No yeah, thats pretty true. I mean, first, you have to assume there is a God. Now, if there is a God, and if he did create Earth, he must have done it for a purpose, right, unless he just did it for shits and giggles. Now, if there is a God and he did create Earth for a purpose, that means he has a plan. If he has a plan, then THAT plan is the only plan. Of course then we look and say, well what about all the other religions, Well, if you believe in God, then you also believe that Satan exists. Basically Satan was allowed to tempt man, and since a sinister fuck, he understood that he could use religion for evil purposes, hence the crusades, et al. Ok, now if there is a God, and a plan, and that plan is the only plan, that means any other plan is inherently false, no matter how close to the original plan they happen to be.

I mean..it's kind of logical. If I wasn't Mormon, in all honesty I would be agnostic, no doubt.

Well, considering God's original plan was to leave blacks to their destiny as the children of Cain ("should a black man and a white woman mix, the penalty is death on the spot," "never shall blacks have the benefit of the priesthood until the rest of mankind has it" paraphrased), only to change it later, it seems God may not have had the perfect plan after all. Or the church got the interpretation wrong. Or it was always a human made religion in the first place.

Or conservative rural and 19th century rhetoric dominated groups of people, influencing ideas about what had not been revealed, just like most other 18th and 19th century Americans, and shit even 20th and 21st century Americans, all of whom are pretty racist. Since the prophet is a prophet when he is speaking as a prophet, but he is also a man and prone to his own misinterpretations. Also it was never canonical doctrine, sooo, yeah.

You know this amounts to handwaving right? The prophet is a prophet when he is speaking as a prophet, except when he's not, which we will only know 150 years from now once the opinion of society has changed? So how can we ever know whether or not the prophet is speaking as a prophet and not as a man? Oh yeah, through personal revelation. But what if personal revelation tells me that I'm the prophet and that the current prophet is wrong? No no, that's wrong too!

This was always my problem with Mormonism. It goes to such great strides to have answers for every question and logical reasons for everything, but when it doesn't, it twists itself around in such knots trying to find an explanation that the answers get more and more tortured until it collapses upon itself.

Ok, lets compare it to the Word of Wisdom. When the revelation about coffee, tea, alcohol, etc, was given, it wasn't given as a commandment. It was given as a word of caution, or advice, specifically because most people were already addicted at this point in time. It wasn't until later in the 1920's when the Prophet through inspiration decided that it was time they started living the law more strictly. Even at that point, it wasn't as enforced as it is today. Essentially we believe that God has lower law and higher laws. When the Israelites couldn't abide by God's higher law, he gave them the lower law, which was the 10 commandments.

Ok, now connecting that to Black and the priesthood. Like I said, since most of the freaking world was explicitly racist at this point in time, the idea was more of a cultural attitude, even among Brigham Young, which is where we get the quotes that you provided. As people overcame prejudices and the church was ready for it, that is when it's decided to live a higher law, and give up old cultural attitudes.

The bolded part is biblically inaccurate.

Exodus 32/34, when Moses came down with the original tablets, he smashed them on the ground because the children of Israel were caught up worshiping golden calves, he goes back up, comes back down with the 10 commandments.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options

YOU SHOULD BE HONORED

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hello fellow members of the Church of the Sacred Internet

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Holy crap, Hakks! I was just thinking about you yesterday and how I haven't heard from you in forever.

How are you?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    it is important to remember paws!

sig.gif
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why not? It is useful for seeing whether claims are accurate. You have little else to go on other than history.

No, no, we can talk about it obviously and history comes into it, but it's just something to remember in discussions like this.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

YOU SHOULD BE HONORED

It depends. Really, really depends.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    If Riemann was on right now you guys would be getting an earful btw

meh, i've heard it all, sometimes its just fun to talk about it.
    No yeah, thats pretty true. I mean, first, you have to assume there is a God. Now, if there is a God, and if he did create Earth, he must have done it for a purpose, right, unless he just did it for shits and giggles. Now, if there is a God and he did create Earth for a purpose, that means he has a plan. If he has a plan, then THAT plan is the only plan. Of course then we look and say, well what about all the other religions, Well, if you believe in God, then you also believe that Satan exists. Basically Satan was allowed to tempt man, and since a sinister fuck, he understood that he could use religion for evil purposes, hence the crusades, et al. Ok, now if there is a God, and a plan, and that plan is the only plan, that means any other plan is inherently false, no matter how close to the original plan they happen to be.

I mean..it's kind of logical. If I wasn't Mormon, in all honesty I would be agnostic, no doubt.

Well, considering God's original plan was to leave blacks to their destiny as the children of Cain ("should a black man and a white woman mix, the penalty is death on the spot," "never shall blacks have the benefit of the priesthood until the rest of mankind has it" paraphrased), only to change it later, it seems God may not have had the perfect plan after all. Or the church got the interpretation wrong. Or it was always a human made religion in the first place.

Or conservative rural and 19th century rhetoric dominated groups of people, influencing ideas about what had not been revealed, just like most other 18th and 19th century Americans, and shit even 20th and 21st century Americans, all of whom are pretty racist. Since the prophet is a prophet when he is speaking as a prophet, but he is also a man and prone to his own misinterpretations. Also it was never canonical doctrine, sooo, yeah.

You know this amounts to handwaving right? The prophet is a prophet when he is speaking as a prophet, except when he's not, which we will only know 150 years from now once the opinion of society has changed? So how can we ever know whether or not the prophet is speaking as a prophet and not as a man? Oh yeah, through personal revelation. But what if personal revelation tells me that I'm the prophet and that the current prophet is wrong? No no, that's wrong too!

This was always my problem with Mormonism. It goes to such great strides to have answers for every question and logical reasons for everything, but when it doesn't, it twists itself around in such knots trying to find an explanation that the answers get more and more tortured until it collapses upon itself.

Ok, lets compare it to the Word of Wisdom. When the revelation about coffee, tea, alcohol, etc, was given, it wasn't given as a commandment. It was given as a word of caution, or advice, specifically because most people were already addicted at this point in time. It wasn't until later in the 1920's when the Prophet through inspiration decided that it was time they started living the law more strictly. Even at that point, it wasn't as enforced as it is today. Essentially we believe that God has lower law and higher laws. When the Israelites couldn't abide by God's higher law, he gave them the lower law, which was the 10 commandments.

Ok, now connecting that to Black and the priesthood. Like I said, since most of the freaking world was explicitly racist at this point in time, the idea was more of a cultural attitude, even among Brigham Young, which is where we get the quotes that you provided. As people overcame prejudices and the church was ready for it, that is when it's decided to live a higher law, and give up old cultural attitudes.

The bolded part is biblically inaccurate.

Exodus 32/34, when Moses came down with the original tablets, he smashed them on the ground because the children of Israel were caught up worshiping golden calves, he goes back up, comes back down with the 10 commandments.

Which is a second copy, there's no consensus that the first tablets were different from the second.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    Holy crap, Hakks! I was just thinking about you yesterday and how I haven't heard from you in forever.

How are you?

Right now I'm trying to hold in a pee since I only just went to the bathroom and I'm embarrassed that I apparently didn't empty the cargo bay all in one go. How u?

• Options
    Don't soil a show like Firefly by watching it, Organichu!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    And I apologize for my combativeness @Element_Brian. I had many long years in Mormonism that drove me up the fucking wall and the choice I had was either to not ask anymore questions and be a happy follower or to continue to ask questions and lose the most important people to me at the time. I chose the latter.

But to address your answer, the idea that the church could not handle being good to blacks in a racist century is silly considering they practiced polygamy, which was arguably a far bigger slight than being nice to African-Americans was.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2E5s8Gzwc

she's so incredibly pretty

like, i-feel-like-a-teenager-again-is-how-pretty-she-is

i almost wanna watch firefly

• Options
    chu have you seen homeland?

she is in it

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

No, no, we can talk about it obviously and history comes into it, but it's just something to remember in discussions like this.

I'm willing to concede both sides, I've had personal experiences that help me believe what I do. As well, I feel pretty cognitively able to sufficiently justify the past history of the church.

Also, and in any case, south park ironically enough makes a good point. (in all honestly, i'm pretty sure the south park guys like mormons in the way that emmnme puts it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlaYSchJ3E

Arch,
  • Options
    God, Romney is so full of crap all the time.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

she is in it

yes i've seen it all, it's how i know about her

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

she is in it

yes i've seen it all, it's how i know about her

oh that's why you almost want to watch firefly, I get it

you should watch firefly

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2E5s8Gzwc

Almost? Buy or rent the DVD's or pay for Netflix/Amazon Prime and watch it, chu.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

How are you?

Right now I'm trying to hold in a pee since I only just went to the bathroom and I'm embarrassed that I apparently didn't empty the cargo bay all in one go. How u?

chu says you shouldnt be embarrassed
    chu is all about peeing
    everywhere
    all the time

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options

Both parties having watched Firefly is a necessary precondition to bringing our nations to the table. Without it there can be no peace.

• Options
    If you haven't seen Firefly, you're doing it wrong.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    And I apologize for my combativeness @Element_Brian. I had many long years in Mormonism that drove me up the fucking wall and the choice I had was either to not ask anymore questions and be a happy follower or to continue to ask questions and lose the most important people to me at the time. I chose the latter.

But to address your answer, the idea that the church could not handle being good to blacks in a racist century is silly considering they practiced polygamy, which was arguably a far bigger slight than being nice to African-Americans was.

Dude, i understand, trust me. I mean..I'm a liberal mormon at BYU. Half the time I feel like I'm more pro-womans rights that some of the girls I talk to, so i get pissed off and annoyed too. And like I said at the beginning of this, i can see why people have a problem with the church, for example with blacks and the priesthood, or with Prop 8, which I don't even agree with.

The problems I do have are when people like Lawrence O'donnel make up complete bull shit that that isn't even close to historically accurate.

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    @Element_Brian, have you ever had the chance to read The History of the Church by Joseph Smith?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

How are you?

chu says you shouldnt be embarrassed
    chu is all about peeing
    everywhere
    all the time

Unfortunately that was my mentality but my immediate surroundings have reached peak pee saturation

I have ruined my long-term environment for the sake of short-term convenience

• Options
    I really like Firefly but I'm still embarrassed by how it's revered.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i refuse to watch babylon 5, firefly, or battlestar galactica

they are all the same nerdy show in my head and i won't deign to learn their unique identities

firefly is nothing like those others. just watch it.

• Options

they are all the same nerdy show in my head and i won't deign to learn their unique identities

• Options
    I want a bigger bladder.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

I know they already cut the tip of your wiener off but I'm offering to trim it even further with a paring knife if you don't rectify this immediately

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

How are you?

Pretty good. Had a big show on sunday that brought in a few hundred people.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Right Sarks only worships at the altar of the shai-hulud

• Options

You're the worst.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    God, Romney is so full of crap all the time.

Watching Obama v Romney should be interesting. Not because I think Romney can really compete on the same level as the President but because I am curious to see how far Obama will go.

• Options

I'll agree to this. I suggest people watch it because it's a good show, but it isn't a perfect show and it has flaws. Big flaws. With flapjacks. And hookers.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.