As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] StreetPass Network: Connecting Nintendo 3DS Gamers Panel Feedback Thread

JWhiteJWhite Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
Hello this is Jordan White, Founder and Event Organizer of StreetPass NYC.

We had a panel at 10 AM in the morning on Saturday and for all the people that were speaking including Joshua Lynsen [Founder, StreetPass Network & StreetPass DC], Dan O’Leary [President, n-Space] and Jools Watsham [Co-Founder & Director, Renegade Kid] we had a blast talking an interacting with fellow StreetPass fans!

So I created this thread to ask anyone who attend:

-- What did you think about our panel?
-- What aspect of the way we ran the panel did you like?
-- What aspect of the way we ran the panel do you think we could have done better?
-- Any questions you wish you could have asked us when we did Q & A if we had more time?
-- What game content you were StreetPassing and were you satisfied with your hits?

...and other stuff I can't think of.

I would also like to make a personal shout out to everyone I met or talked to at PAX East. This was my first time ever going to the conference and the reason we picked PAX East over other gaming conventions was due to it's reputation of a open, fun community. And that aspect of it exceeded my exceptions. Everyone was super nice, helpful, enthusiastic and constantly finding out ways to on their own enjoy the con instead of sitting back and expecting to be entertained by the people in charge. Ergo, it was the exact opposite of New York Comic Con half the time. (And I love New York Comic Con.)

So thank you all for making my first stay here at PAX the most enjoyable I've ever had in my life! Everytime I walked into the convention center, I felt like I was home.

6943193407_855156285d_m.jpg
Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    Hey Jordan,

I was at the panel and I thought it was really good. I would have liked more time for Q&A, but that's not really your fault. I always wish there were more time for the good panels.

I wasn't using StreetPass for anything more than StreetPass, mostly because the games I like don't have a StreetPass feature. But I was very glad to hear about upcoming games that will have some use for it. That's one of the things I was hoping to hear.

Aside from that, it's Monday morning after PAX and I don't have the brain power to say anything else with any coherence. But thanks again for the panel.

• Options
    WizardWizard Registered User regular
    I think it worked out all right, though you did look pretty frazzled. (Though you did explain why that was the case later in the day.)

Then again, you should have done it in your Tanooki suit.

In all seriousness, your panel was fine. It explained the entertaining history of Streetpass Network, and was fun to listen to.

• Options
    Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    My husband and I attended your panel. The panel was well informed. My experience with "ghost data" is limited to Mario Kart7 & Super Mario.
    I have to ask is there a Boston branch? I was thinking no or that person declined an invite.

We were appalled by our fellow attendees who rushed & shoved each other to the microphone for AR cards. Really?? The same act occurred at the end of the panel for the rest of the cards and tees.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Options
    JWhiteJWhite Registered User regular
    My husband and I attended your panel. The panel was well informed. My experience with "ghost data" is limited to Mario Kart7 & Super Mario.
    I have to ask is there a Boston branch? I was thinking no or that person declined an invite.

We were appalled by our fellow attendees who rushed & shoved each other to the microphone for AR cards. Really?? The same act occurred at the end of the panel for the rest of the cards and tees.

To everyone so far thanks for the positive response!

There was a StreetPass Boston but they have not updated in so long and the lack of communication we have officially directed that former group dead. We hope that in the near future someone opens up StreetPass Boston again. Anyone. Even you! =D

And yes, while the cards were incentive for people to come out at 10 AM in the morning we were a little disturbed by the rush to the line. We are glad people are enthusiastic about asking us questions and getting cards but we now know next time to take extra precaution of a rush so that people are not rude to each other. It was our first talk, we had no idea.

Thanks for the input!

6943193407_855156285d_m.jpg
  • Options
    Gravis24Gravis24 Registered User new member
    I was the first person to ask a question at the StreetPass panel - somehow I beat out Triforce to the microphone, which is feat in and above itself. I didn't shove or push anyone out of the way but I can't speak for actions of those behind me. Anyways, I didn't care about the Kid Icarus AR cards as I got plenty of those at the Nintendo booth (nor did I get a shirt). I thought I asked a quick question ("where was the weirdest/strangest/oddest place you've got a StreetPass?") then sat down quickly as a courtesy to those behind me. I didn't keep standing at the microphone. Nor did I make multiple statements or ask multiple questions as I knew there were plenty of other people who wanted to ask a question. Perhaps not indicating that there would be 'free' stuff to give away prior to the Q&A might reduce the amount of craziness associated with the Q&A section.

But back to the original question, I thought the panel was very good. I think more slide content would've been nice instead of having a rotation of the same 6 slides. I'm not sure if you could gather street-pass statistics from Nintendo or other developers (even other StreetPass groups), but additional information concerning street-pass in general would've been nice to know.

I attended the panel because I've really enjoyed the StreetPass feature of the 3DS. My wife used to make fun of me for bringing the 3DS to the store, or the movies, or walking around. She's been more quiet the last few months as more often then not, I have at least 1 street pass when returning home. I look forward to what Nintendo and other developer do with this feature and continue to expand its use.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Wish i would have attended that panel! I am from NYC and have been an avid handheld gamer (Gameboy, Game Gear, PSP, DS, 3DS) all my life. I usually play Pokemon, Mario Kart, Dragon QUest and any other multiplayer game i can get my hands on but always find the lack of people to play with frustrating. I am very interested in joining up with this group and having people to play with in the NYC area, ive liked the Facebook Page but is there anything else i can do? Is there regularly scheduled meet ups?

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    missed the panel. womp womp. but i got all my puzzles done. now what? hahah

• Options
    creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    I am very interested in joining up with this group and having people to play with in the NYC area, ive liked the Facebook Page but is there anything else i can do? Is there regularly scheduled meet ups?
    The facebook page has all the details about meetups, and there are usually 1 or 2 per month, depending on game releases.