Options

[Canada] Politics of the Democratic Friedmanite Republic of the Government of Harper

• Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I can assure you Toronto just doesn't think of Calgary at all.
    Except for thinking of ways to trick them into trading mayors, you mean.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    blkmage wrote: »

I, personally, had never even heard of this before today. I wouldn't wish Ford on anyone else, at all.

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Mackenzier wrote: »

I, personally, had never even heard of this before today. I wouldn't wish Ford on anyone else, at all.

Thank you. That is the nicest thing that has been said in theis thread in a long time.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    I mean, what makes the oilsands any more "Albertan" than it is "Canadian"?

Our own constitution does.
    92A. (1) In each province, the legislature may exclusively make laws in relation to

(a) exploration for non-renewable natural resources in the province;

(b) development, conservation and management of non-renewable natural resources and forestry resources in the province, including laws in relation to the rate of primary production therefrom; and

(c) development, conservation and management of sites and facilities in the province for the generation and production of electrical energy.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/Const/page-5.html#s_92A

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jean wrote: »
    I mean, what makes the oilsands any more "Albertan" than it is "Canadian"?

Our own constitution does.
    92A. (1) In each province, the legislature may exclusively make laws in relation to

(a) exploration for non-renewable natural resources in the province;

(b) development, conservation and management of non-renewable natural resources and forestry resources in the province, including laws in relation to the rate of primary production therefrom; and

(c) development, conservation and management of sites and facilities in the province for the generation and production of electrical energy.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/Const/page-5.html#s_92A

I am speaking of the moral imperative. This conversation is in the context of the NEP or a Green Shift-like carbon tax, which would apply to oilsands development, and why such a policy is/would be grossly and uniquely unfair to Albertans, given, for example, that federal regulations exist on, say, uranium or potash, which are non-renewable resources, or fish or forestry, which are renewable resources.

I understand the legal decision-making process. Furthermore, the NEP's existence overlapped with the existence of the Canadian Constitution, so clearly this section does not reserve all decision-making with regards to oilsands development strictly to the Albertan government.

hippofant on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Thank you. That is the nicest thing that has been said in theis thread in a long time.

It's not so much about wanting Calgary to have Ford, but more about stealing their mayor. But honestly, with how things have been going in Toronto lately I don't see Ford accomplishing much of anything before he gets the boot.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

I just figured we'd take out an ad in the Sun saying they're giving away cocaine and bacon grease in Calgary.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Bob Rae is my hero. He presented an excellently worded point of privalege in the House today, which effectively left the government in a no-win situation.

Now to see how Scheer rules, and show us what kind of Speaker he actually is...

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Don't just leave me hanging, Ken! Link? Story?

• Options
    Sorry, been following on twitter account let me see if I can find a link...

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Not related to what Ken is talking about, but good news nonetheless:

Québec court tells Vic Toews he can't destroy the gun registry, now sit down and STFU.

Well, not quite. It's just a temporary injunction against the delete-trigger-happy Toews until April 13th, the date the government lawyers are scheduled to present their case. And according to one source I saw, it's only for the data that involves Québec residents. But the money shot quote is "Quebec government lawyer Éric Dufour said the granting of scuh an injunction is unprecedented in Canadian law, as it is the first time a court has stopped a government from enacting a law."

sig.gif
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter how hard you work to reclaim the oil sands after digging them up, you are still causing absolutely massive environmental damage and habitat destruction. You can't "reclaim" a drill site by covering it over with grass and trees after 5 years of drilling- the local ecosystem is totally wrecked and will take many decades, or longer, to recover. It just makes it look nice for the general public (and politicans) who don't know a damn thing about biology. And that's ignoring the global harm the oil and greenhouse gases are going to do. I'd be OK with it if you guys would just admit that it IS causing massive harm but say that you have to keep doing it in the short term to preserve your economy (which you do, because of 40 years of incompetent governance and short-sighted planning by private enterprise) and promise to work hard on transitioning to a sustainable economic model that isn't contributing to the destruction of our planet.

And don't give me some shit about "other provinces do it too". Yes, they do, but Alberta is the only province whose entire economy literally relies on it, and as such it's in Alberta that we need to make the point to the entire country that this shit has to stop.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    What points do you feel the reclamation projects fail to address, specifically?

• Options
    Also, I think this article has the information Ken was talking about in regards to Bob Rae and the question of privilege raised:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/05/pol-ferguson-committee.html

• Options
    Go for the jugular, the jugular!

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Since this is a gaming forum, I believe the correct version would be:

"Go for the throat Boo, go for the throat!"

• Options

Thank you. That is the n
    psyck0 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how hard you work to reclaim the oil sands after digging them up, you are still causing absolutely massive environmental damage and habitat destruction. You can't "reclaim" a drill site by covering it over with grass and trees after 5 years of drilling- the local ecosystem is totally wrecked and will take many decades, or longer, to recover. It just makes it look nice for the general public (and politicans) who don't know a damn thing about biology. And that's ignoring the global harm the oil and greenhouse gases are going to do. I'd be OK with it if you guys would just admit that it IS causing massive harm but say that you have to keep doing it in the short term to preserve your economy (which you do, because of 40 years of incompetent governance and short-sighted planning by private enterprise) and promise to work hard on transitioning to a sustainable economic model that isn't contributing to the destruction of our planet.

And don't give me some shit about "other provinces do it too". Yes, they do, but Alberta is the only province whose entire economy literally relies on it, and as such it's in Alberta that we need to make the point to the entire country that this shit has to stop.

Do you ever stop? Oil companies are moving to more sustainable drilling techniques. These take time to implement and develop.

Comming from Quebec I really don't consider the provincial govermet as "incompetent".

When it's all said and done here dude it's Alberta's resource to manage. You can stamp your feet and call people names and all that is going to do is make people ignore you.

• Options
  • Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Also, I think this article has the information Ken was talking about in regards to Bob Rae and the question of privilege raised:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/05/pol-ferguson-committee.html

The article has now been updated with the PMOs response from Thursday evening...
    PMO responds

The government says it responded to the Parliamentary Budget Office in March 2011, estimating the cost of acquiring 65 jets at $9 billion and sustainment costs for maintenance, software programming and logistic support at a further $5.7 billion,for a total cost of $14.7 billion over 20 years.

The estimates did not include operating and salary costs,the government says,which would be incurred regardless of the aircraft purchased. These costs would amount to $9 billion over 20 years.

The government says it accepts that these costs should have been included in its report to the PBO.

So now they are flat out admitting that the misled Parliament... but you know, they didn't actually spend any money, so no biggie, right?

:rolleyes:

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Google and Twitter are starting to go off about an article saying that Andrew Prescott is Pierre Poutine.

http://cdnpo.li/post/20681418969/exclusive-pierre-poutine-is

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    BTP wrote: »
    Google and Twitter are starting to go off about an article saying that Andrew Prescott is Pierre Poutine.

http://cdnpo.li/post/20681418969/exclusive-pierre-poutine-is

Andrew Prescott:
    On the advice of his lawyer, a key player in the 2011 Conservative campaign for Guelph [Andrew Prescott] is refusing to answer more questions from Elections Canada investigators probing fraudulent robo-calls in the riding.

[...]

The owner of RackNine said in a media interview this week that he spoke to the man behind “Pierre Poutine” and that this man did not sound like Mr. Prescott. Elections Canada has said it does not suspect RackNine of suspicious activity in the matter.

The article also has some poetic-justice news:
    Separately, a marketing research agency that’s been fiercely protective of its reputation during the robo-calls controversy says allegations that it was connected to the matter are now injuring its business. “We have had to lay off about 67 people just for lack of work,” said Aaron Wudrick, general counsel with Campaign Research.

[...]

The Ottawa-based company came under fire for calls into Liberal MP Irwin Cotler’s riding last fall where constituents were told the MP might retire and asked how they might vote in a by-election.

I hope they go out of business completely. Hell, I believe that's the lightest punishment they deserve. Voter misleading and suppression should be equal to treason, and Wudrick should be thrown in prison.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I hope they go out of business completely. Hell, I believe that's the lightest punishment they deserve. Voter misleading and suppression should be equal to treason, and Wudrick should be thrown in prison.

He's the in-house attorney, so I doubt he has much to do with the day-to-day operations of the company.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Is the amount of lawn signs for each party a good indication of what the result will be?

If it is, the liberals should have no problem keeping Edmonton Centre, Wildrose 2nd with the PC and NDP far behind.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

He's the in-house attorney, so I doubt he has much to do with the day-to-day operations of the company.

You're right. Elsewhere, the article referred to "Wudrick's firm", so I got the impression he was actually the CEO. But he's just a lawyer working there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    Is the amount of lawn signs for each party a good indication of what the result will be?

If it is, the liberals should have no problem keeping Edmonton Centre, Wildrose 2nd with the PC and NDP far behind.

God I hope not.
    In that case the Wildrose are being elected MLAs for life in SE Calgary.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I'm seeing shitloads of PC, slightly fewer NDP, some liberal and even a few ALberta Party. Oh and Wildrose are about the numbers as liberal in the areas of Edmonton I've been. But I'm out in the Cromdale region and Bonnie Doon.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

If I recall correctly, lawn signs are a good sign of decided, homeowner voters, as well as an indication of a campaign's strength and competence. However, undecided voters don't put up signs nor do condo dwellers or renters (typically), which means that lawn signs tend to be biased towards conservative voters, who are more likely to be homeowners and lifelong party supporters.

• Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    That seems to follow the polls, to an extent. Edmonton is pretty much the only area expected to stay strongly PC.

It's weird. Having lived in the UK, Ontario and Alberta I wouldn't have said "Oh Alberta is distinctly more right wing". I guess that reflects my social circles more than reality though.

Also Castro is sending Harper hate mail now.

• Options
    NODe wrote: »
    That seems to follow the polls, to an extent. Edmonton is pretty much the only area expected to stay strongly PC.

It's weird. Having lived in the UK, Ontario and Alberta I wouldn't have said "Oh Alberta is distinctly more right wing". I guess that reflects my social circles more than reality though.

Alberta's not really more right wing than Ontario, it's just permanently right wing whereas Ontario flips from time to time. The provincial PCs ran Ontario for 42 consecutive years and aside from 1993-2003, the federal Tories have always done relatively well. People forget just how conservative a lot of Ontario is.

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Alberta's not really more right wing than Ontario, it's just permanently right wing whereas Ontario flips from time to time. The provincial PCs ran Ontario for 42 consecutive years and aside from 1993-2003, the federal Tories have always done relatively well. People forget just how conservative a lot of Ontario is.

That's true. There can be a bit of perspective bias on this though; take for example, me. I am ~30 years old and during my lifetime the Mike Harris government(s) have been the only PC terms, majority of the rest have been Liberal governments aside from Bob Rae's NDP term. To an Ontarian similar to me (or younger), who hasn't really done any research beyond what has happened during their lifetime it can appear as if Ontario has always been pretty staunchly Liberal.

Mackenzier on
    Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Ontario's typically been PC though, not Conservative.

Confusing these two is at the heart of Harper's strategy.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2012

There's very little difference between the Harper Tories and the Harris/Hudak Tories.
    That's true. There can be a bit of perspective bias on this though; take for example, me. I am ~30 years old and during my lifetime the Mike Harris government(s) have been the only PC terms, majority of the rest have been Liberal governments aside from Bob Rae's NDP term. To an Ontarian similar to me (or younger), who hasn't really done any research beyond what has happened during their lifetime it can appear as if Ontario has always been pretty staunchly Liberal.

Over the past 30ish years, the PCs have been in power for 11.5 years, the Liberals have been in power for 13.7 years, and the NDP 4.7 years. If you only go back 20 years, the Liberals and PCs have been in power for an almost equal amount of time, so I guess appearances are deceiving or something.

CorporateGoon on
  • Options

There's very little difference between the Harper Tories and the Harris/Hudak Tories.

There's quite a bit of difference.

There's a good reason Harper is keeping the backbench quite on the social-devolution agenda.

• Options

There's quite a bit of difference.

There's a good reason Harper is keeping the backbench quite on the social-devolution agenda.

I'm not sure what you're saying. That a difference between the Federal and Ontario Conservatives is that only the former has fundies? Well that's wrong given that Hudak's campaign distributed pamphlets about how the Liberals were teaching kids in school to be gay. That a difference is that the Federal fundies get muzzled? That's really not much of a difference if we were to grant it, and we really shouldn't given how vocal and proud the backbenchers have been about curtailing abortion rights by cutting funding to Planned Parenthood and how one has launched a full-blown parliamentary committee to redefine life as starting at conception.

sig.gif
  • Options
    And how'd the great white ontarian hope do against McGuinty again? Certainly not numbers like Harris.

Harris never fought the culture war head on if he did at all. Neither did guys like Joe Clarke or Brian Mulroney. The appeal was to the general "fiscal conservative" sentiment.

• Options
    Well, in my experience, faithful PC supports just followed the party through the merger with Reform/Alliance. I'm pretty convinced that most of the people that voted for Joe Clark's PCs back in the day are voting for Harper's Conservatives as if they have the same party philosophy and are not paying attention to politics at all.

Also, there's a strong anti-left sentiment in some parts of Alberta, so it really doesn't matter what happens, they'll always vote for the most visible right wing party, regardless of how ridiculous that party is.

Back when I was just barely old enough to vote and voted in my first election, I talked to people in my hometown that said they would vote Liberal because they've always voted Liberal, so this is probably a common theme among voters, regardless of which party they're voting for. It's kinda depressing.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Well, in my experience, faithful PC supports just followed the party through the merger with Reform/Alliance. I'm pretty convinced that most of the people that voted for Joe Clark's PCs back in the day are voting for Harper's Conservatives as if they have the same party philosophy and are not paying attention to politics at all.

Also, there's a strong anti-left sentiment in some parts of Alberta, so it really doesn't matter what happens, they'll always vote for the most visible right wing party, regardless of how ridiculous that party is.

Back when I was just barely old enough to vote and voted in my first election, I talked to people in my hometown that said they would vote Liberal because they've always voted Liberal, so this is probably a common theme among voters, regardless of which party they're voting for. It's kinda depressing.

They aren't paying close attention, but they are paying some. Look at Stockwell Day's image vs Harper's.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Heh I didn't know Edmonton-Centre had a Liberal MLA. Guess I know who to vote for.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

I've heard this at home in Newfoundland, so it's not just you. And yes, really depressing. :(

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    Calgary cross in the NE Calgary is plastered with wildrose signs. From their party platform they do seem to take being fiscal conservatives to heart more than the Federal conservatives at least.

This discussion has been closed.