Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Glyph wrote: »
    Obama hate dwarfs Bush hate at this point. You have to wonder how much a guy can screw up to force his constituency to look back at the Bush days as "better times."

This is most complete and utter bullshit thing ever posted on the internet. Congratulations.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Only Bush apologists think that. Obama isn't perfect but he's ten times the man Bush is on his worst day.

It honestly depends on the issue. On domestic surveillance, for example, Obama is empirically worse than Bush; he expanded the power of the executive.

As an aggregate whole though, yes, Obama's presidency is much better than Bush's.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It's an amusing mental contortion to say that Bush expanded the level of domestic surveillance to just right but that damb dirty Obama has gone TOO FAR

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    It's an amusing mental contortion to say that Bush expanded the level of domestic surveillance to just right but that damb dirty Obama has gone TOO FAR

He's not saying Bush done it right, he's just saying Obama has built upon Bush's work in that regard.

• Options

Well, that's not what I meant. Bush's policies were terrible, and imposed in an unfair environment where many people's judgement was compromised. Obama's administration expanded on those policies rather than retracting them. He made them more intrusive with less oversight.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Well, that's not what I meant. Bush's policies were terrible, and imposed in an unfair environment where many people's judgement was compromised. Obama's administration expanded on those policies rather than retracting them. He made them more intrusive with less oversight.

This is definitely the most frustrating aspect of the Obama administration.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

While it's also my biggest disappointment with him, I think realistically Congress should get the blame. It takes an exceptional man to give away power. It takes petty douchebaggery for Congress to stop him. Where is some properly aimed petty douchebaggery?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wow, I managed to miss some huge news today I guess. Thread title needs more sex ed reference though. "Pull out" jokes basically.

• Options
    "Blows wad" not enough for you?

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wow, I managed to miss some huge news today I guess. Thread title needs more sex ed reference though. "Pull out" jokes basically.

I think that was the original title in response to his quitting.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »

It doesn't specify where. Like, "In the face of radical-religious constituents'."

• Options
    I wonder who will get his constituents.

Clean up the Santorum if you will.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    I think we already reached the end of that sort of discussion.

But obviously the "beat Obama" agenda is just going to rally people behind Romney. It took long enough for this obvious prediction to pan out. It's like GOP constituents are in denial.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    It makes me think of a West Wing episode where, IIRC, one of them was explaining why polling the public on certain issues is pointless, because the general public straight up isn't knowledgeable enough to give a valid answer. There were questions about foreign aid spending, including if people thought foreign aid spending was too high, and if it should be cut. The results showed that something like 12% of respondents thought spending was too high, but shouldn't be cut.

Basically, you're going to get braindead poll results, often with people disagreeing with indisputable facts, because on some issues, people flat out don't know what they're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4pB5_0AUVk

Fuck you, I just spent an hour and a half watching West Wing clips.

• Options
    I think we already reached the end of that sort of discussion.

But obviously the "beat Obama" agenda is just going to rally people behind Romney. It took long enough for this obvious prediction to pan out. It's like GOP constituents are in denial.

Yes we had a good run didn't we?

Ahh the memories, I think I'll make a scrap book.

You know what, better scratch that.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

In many regards, that means Romney will likely run a campaign very much like John Kerry, whose primary message to voters was, "Hey, I'm not the other guy!"

Except when people said bad things about Bush, there was a lot of evidence to back up their assertion, which isn't so much the case with Obama. Most people with specific, demonstrable issues with Obama are left-leaners who are going to vote for him anyway.

So, like Kerry, but possibly with worse results.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Oh god, Dbrock. Are you so fucking desperate to be chicken little?

That isn't even bad news because it is the dumbest fucking attack in existence. They are actually trying to fight Obama's focus on income inequality by constantly reminding voters of their stance regarding the the rich.

That isn't smart with anyone but republicans.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

In many regards, that means Romney will likely run a campaign very much like John Kerry, whose primary message to voters was, "Hey, I'm not the other guy!"

Except when people said bad things about Bush, there was a lot of evidence to back up their assertion, which isn't so much the case with Obama. Most people with specific, demonstrable issues with Obama are left-leaners who are going to vote for him anyway.

So, like Kerry, but possibly with worse results.

That's the sort-of funny part. A liberal voter will complain about Obama's decision to, say, pad the White House with wall street friendly crooks; a conservative voter will complain about... the fact that Obama is a Muslim?

I suppose the health care mandate might be something a conservative voter will complain about legitimately, since apparently denying people health care is now a conservative cause.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Oh god, Dbrock. Are you so fucking desperate to be chicken little?

That isn't even bad news because it is the dumbest fucking attack in existence. They are actually trying to fight Obama's focus on income inequality by constantly reminding voters of their stance regarding the the rich.

That isn't smart with anyone but republicans.

GG OBAMA

KARL ROVE GONNA TELL EM YOU'RE A SECRET GAY

Rove's done, son. His species recently went extinct, and he hasn't managed to figure it out yet.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Crossroads has been running anti-Obama ads since the day after the Citizens United ruling.

The best thing they have come up with in that time is the "Gas was $1.87 on inauguration day!", which is so easily dismissed by anyone who has a memory of the summer before the election.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Crossroads has been running anti-Obama ads since the day after the Citizens United ruling.

The best thing they have come up with in that time is the "Gas was $1.87 on inauguration day!", which is so easily dismissed by anyone who has a memory of the summer before the election.

Gas was $1.87 on inauguration day! Then that government nig--uh, I mean, OBAMA jacked up the price!

EDIT: I'm still waiting for someone to just accidentally blurt out the whole word. Why you gotta keep me waiting, GOP? We came so close!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Yes. Gas was also $4.12 in Bush's 8th year, and $1.25 when he was elected in 2000.

Maybe, just maybe, this isn't something the President has a lot of control over.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »

It doesn't specify where. Like, "In the face of radical-religious constituents'."

How about something along the lines of Santorum aborting his campaign, failing to see it as a gift from God and carrying it to term?

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    People don't know the technical definition of a recession. They understand recession to mean "the economy is shitty, I can't get a damn job (or people they know can't)."

People accurately believe the economy is shitty but getting better. Good job, people!

But you are kinda an idiot if you say "Things are getting better! I wish the recession would end!" in the same poll.

Which is what TheCanMan was getting at, I think.

I mean, things improving is like the exact opposite of things receeding.

ergo, people are idiots.

This is a couple pages back at this point (had to go home before being able to respond), but I just wanted to say that Burtle is exactly right as to what my point was. That poll says that that nearly 90% of people think the economy still stinks (using the idiot definition of "recession"), but nearly 50% of those same people think things are getting better in their local area. Ergo, people are fucking idiots because they look around and see with their own eyes that things are getting better but are so brainwashed by what they hear from media/political sources that they still believe that everywhere else is a shit pile.

Every once in a while I start feeling a bit guilty about my feeling of superiority to a really sizable portion of the American public. But then I read stuff like this and all of that guilt just vanishes.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    People won't think the recesssion is over until they are back to where they were before it started. You may think that's naive, or stupid, or whatever other smug goosey things you want to say, but it's a legitimate way to feel. If you take 10 steps away from the endzone, then 3 steps forward, you're still not at the goal line, no matter how much you're not receeding.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Yes. Gas was also $4.12 in Bush's 8th year, and $1.25 when he was elected in 2000.

Maybe, just maybe, this isn't something the President has a lot of control over.

Seriously, the first time I saw that ad I went "No fucking way is that true." It was pretty disheartening to see that it was, because it is an effective soundbyte and I haven't seen many people try to counter it.

I'm hoping that Obama has a lot of countermeasures for GOP sounding points like that one ready and is just holding off so they aren't forced to come up with anything new. I'm more than happy to let Romney keep claiming that Obama hasn't increased drilling and has raised more taxes than any other president if Obama spends September stating how much he has actually expanded drilling more than any other president and taxes are lower now than under Bush.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I think we sometimes forget that Obama hasn't even started campaigning yet. The man is remarkable on the trail. And yet he's still destroying Romney on the polls.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I seriously think the general will be a no contest for Obama.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Glyph wrote: »
    Obama hate dwarfs Bush hate at this point. You have to wonder how much a guy can screw up to force his constituency to look back at the Bush days as "better times."

Obama disapproval isn't remotely near GWB disapproval was Katrina-end of his term. Out of sight, out of mind neutralizes some strong feelings. Obama has a positive favorables rating too and his "total negative" is about equal or less than Bush's "very negative" ratings. The people who hate Obama hate Obama. There isn't a huge wave of Obama hate, at worst his numbers are middling.

And the bush hate was from people who actively hated him, hated what he had done and everything he stood for. Much of Obamas dissaproval is from people saying 'He's not liberal enough' and 'His policies are too influenced by the right' or 'He's been too conciliatory to the right, when it's clear they won't work with you'. These people don't approve of the Republicans, they are just disgruntled that Obama hasn't ground them into the dirt and heard the lamentations of their women.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    the problem is disgruntled democrats dont vote, disgruntled republicans always vote

Anyone who watches fox news for anything other than academic analysis of propaganda is going to vote for Romney, even if tomorrow Romney was caught with a dead girl and a live boy

override367 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I think we sometimes forget that Obama hasn't even started campaigning yet. The man is remarkable on the trail. And yet he's still destroying Romney on the polls.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I seriously think the general will be a no contest for Obama.

Not quite no contest. Here's a cheat sheet on what the GOP will throw Obama's way - who knows what will stick in the minds of the voters.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/04/09/7-devastating-facts-about-the-obama-economy

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Not quite no contest. Here's a cheat sheet on what the GOP will throw Obama's way - who knows what will stick in the minds of the voters.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/04/09/7-devastating-facts-about-the-obama-economy

It's not as if Obama doesn't have a metric tonne of stuff to throw at the Republicans, and he has the advantage of his stuff also being true. In addition, he's a vastly better speaker and debater than Romney. Anyone who is ACTUALLY an independant (rather than just a republican but ashamed to admit it) will be swung to Obama.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    So, we can expect more lies and distorted facts?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm confident Obama's going to win re-election.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    People won't think the recesssion is over until they are back to where they were before it started. You may think that's naive, or stupid, or whatever other smug goosey things you want to say, but it's a legitimate way to feel. If you take 10 steps away from the endzone, then 3 steps forward, you're still not at the goal line, no matter how much you're not receeding.

No, it is not a legitimate way to feel. It is the way the idiot public feels, but it is not legitimate. Not only is it idiotic to use words that you don't know the meaning of (and it is disingenuous to just hand-wave away their ignorance in a discussion of their ignorance) , but it is also idiotic to think that the economy is a steaming pile of crap until we're 100% back to the peak of the bubble that just burst. And it is also idiotic for half of the people surveyed to see with their own eyes that things are getting better, but 90% of the people surveyed to think that the general health of the economy is still in the toilet.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

The thing about that list is that it's nothing that I haven't been seeing on tv already. Between commercials and Fox, that's just the same repeated rhetoric. The GOP really blew its wad too early and by the time the general comes around, people will be used to the message.

Counter also is that several of those issues can be spun to partisanship in GOP stifling progress.

Obama's campaign really hasn't come into full swing yet. Just wait until the gloves come off when Obama destroys Romney on women's rights, voting rights, his constant flip-flopping, and the Ryan plan.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

Pretty much this. Yes we technically are not "receeding" anymore. But we are definitely not back to where we were before the recession officially started. Yes things are improving, but we're not fully recovered yet. I don't get why someone would get so smug and defiant to this perception.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    This is just one of the ads Rove is gonna put on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czo5Vf8KZs

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    haha jees, that's just silly

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    the problem is disgruntled democrats dont vote, disgruntled republicans always vote

Anyone who watches fox news for anything other than academic analysis of propaganda is going to vote for Romney, even if tomorrow Romney was caught with a dead girl and a live boy
    Well yeah, but that's because democrats are disgruntled because their party is ineffectual and refuses to advance their actual preferred policies, and republicans are disgruntled because they hate democrats.

The real difference is that when dem voter are satisfied with their own party they sit on their asses, and she republican voters are dissatisfied with their party they primary the shit out of the incumbents they don't like. Only one of those things makes your party more responsive. The other makes it oth out of touch and out of power.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I like it when Crossroads wastes their money like that. More of that, please.

This discussion has been closed.