As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] Thread closed. Move on to the new thread.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Okay, seriously, how do you cast AoE in starcraft 2? Explain like I'm 5. I have tried:

- Selecting my Infestors, holding 'Z' (grid keys awwwe yeah), clicking a bunch near the enemy. Result: I have selected a Colossus and 0-1 fungals land
    - Selecting my Infestors, spamming 'Z' while clicking a bunch near the enemy. Result: I have selected a Void Ray and 0 fungals land
    - Screaming through my teeth in a high-pitched tone, occasionally cursing. Result: All my Infestors die to Thermal Lance fire.
    - Attacking with my roach/ling "stopgap force", then building some Corruptors to take out air units. Result: I win!

Is there like a Youtube video or something that shows you how to do any kind of caster micro? It's really frustrating to me to just throw away a dozen of "the best caster unit in the game". As Apollo would say, "verrrry frustratin' fer Callow here. Verrrrry frustratin'."

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »
    enderjsv wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    so the shredder was cut because it could easily kill a lot of workers with little or no warning

it would be terrible if terran had a unit that did that

I get it

and this is why i'm at a loss for why it, along with certain other units, are being considered. The thought process doesn't make sense to me. The new-corsair made a helluva lot of sense compared to a too-high to be useful upgrade for the phoenix. battle hellions make no sense to me... i mean, this is the race that has bunkers, marines, hellions and marauders? what purpose would they serve? why does terran need another anti-air option? why would you make a long-range bomber/fighter, when this was the Void Ray's original purpose was, but had to be drastically changed? why go with a failed idea?

They are trying to make mech play viable, which is why they made a mech unit that can kill lots of light units (the battle hellion) and why they need a mech AA unit (because the Thor is being taken out). And the reason they are going with a failed idea is because it is a good idea but they failed with the execution of it.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Dark archon was super niche, valkyrie wasn't very useful either.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Okay, seriously, how do you cast AoE in starcraft 2? Explain like I'm 5. I have tried:

- Selecting my Infestors, holding 'Z' (grid keys awwwe yeah), clicking a bunch near the enemy. Result: I have selected a Colossus and 0-1 fungals land
    - Selecting my Infestors, spamming 'Z' while clicking a bunch near the enemy. Result: I have selected a Void Ray and 0 fungals land
    - Screaming through my teeth in a high-pitched tone, occasionally cursing. Result: All my Infestors die to Thermal Lance fire.
    - Attacking with my roach/ling "stopgap force", then building some Corruptors to take out air units. Result: I win!

Is there like a Youtube video or something that shows you how to do any kind of caster micro? It's really frustrating to me to just throw away a dozen of "the best caster unit in the game". As Apollo would say, "verrrry frustratin' fer Callow here. Verrrrry frustratin'."

Enter Control Panel and set your keyboard repeat rate to maximum
    Select Infestor
    Hold Z
    DO NOT HOLD SHIFT
    Click on units

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    so the shredder was cut because it could easily kill a lot of workers with little or no warning

I get it

and this is why i'm at a loss for why it, along with certain other units, are being considered. The thought process doesn't make sense to me. The new-corsair made a helluva lot of sense compared to a too-high to be useful upgrade for the phoenix. battle hellions make no sense to me... i mean, this is the race that has bunkers, marines, hellions and marauders? what purpose would they serve? why does terran need another anti-air option? why would you make a long-range bomber/fighter, when this was the Void Ray's original purpose was, but had to be drastically changed? why go with a failed idea?

Didn't the corsair only make sense after protoss started using them to kill overlords for DT harrass. That probably wasn't obvious when it was announced. I wonder how many Joe Ks there were complaining about the new broodwar units back when they were announced.

Besides, I bet I could name other broodwar units that ended up being pretty useless.

yeh, BW had useless units... the firebat was rarely used, ultras were about as prevalent as today, scouts were fairly useless, wraiths and BC's as well.

as for complaining, there were obvious holes in SC(plain), and mostly the BW expansion was a welcome change.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

For non-spamming spells (e.g., fungals, storms), you can keep all your casters on one hotkey. Then simply:

(1) Select your casters.
    (2) Right-click the direction that you want the rest of your casters to move in. Generally you want to move your clump in range to cast the spells. Then before you cast the spells, start moving them back.
    (2) e.g., with fungal, hit 'F', click the first place you want to fungal, hit 'F', click the second place you want to fungal
    (3) Don't issue any other commands until the two fungals are cast otherwise you will overwrite those commands and they will not happen.
    (4) After they are cast, issue additional move commands to group up your casters again.

Note that no shift-queueing occurs here because you don't want the spell cast to get queued behind a move command.

For spamming spells (e.g., forcefields, ITs) you can do a similar thing except that you can either quickly alternate the hotkey and clicking which you can see me demonstrate here:

You can also hold down the hotkey and abuse keyboard repeating although you need to get into your fingers how long the delay is before the keystroke is repeated. Finally, you can shift-queue the clicks which works particularly well for ITs but you need to be mindful of where you click so that the casters can actually get in range to cast stuff without getting stuck behind each other.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »

I get it

How can you say the game needs to be more like BW and then complain about them adding Firebats?

Most of the complaints I see along these lines is that they aren't Firebats, to the T, exact copies. They are battle form hellions, which while having the exact same function as a Firebat, doesn't make them Firebats...and most people who want a BW clone want just that...a BW clone.

they've already got firebats on wheels. a vulture/firebat hybrid without spider mines.

what purpose could a hardened firebat serve? It screams of duplication of function.

• Options
    Duplication of function is good, it gives multiple solutions to the same problem and creates variety.
    The problem is when the other options are objectively worse.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    more:

mutalisks
    seige tanks
    blink stalkers
    banshees

less:

marauders
    roaches
    colossi
    corruptors

is all i could ask for

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

I get it

How can you say the game needs to be more like BW and then complain about them adding Firebats?

Most of the complaints I see along these lines is that they aren't Firebats, to the T, exact copies. They are battle form hellions, which while having the exact same function as a Firebat, doesn't make them Firebats...and most people who want a BW clone want just that...a BW clone.

they've already got firebats on wheels. a vulture/firebat hybrid without spider mines.

what purpose could a hardened firebat serve? It screams of duplication of function.

It gives Hellions use beyond the early game. It makes them a useful screen unit for late game mech armies. That's why battle hellions exist, purely to make mech more viable.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I think that Blizzard is one of the most thoughtful developers out there. The amount of care they put into WoW's dps rotations, talent symmetry, the entire fucking huge world of Azeroth is incredible. When you play other games that are not blizzard games, only then do you realize this (looks at swtor as a shining example).

Diablo 1, 2, sc:bw, sc2 are even more incredible examples. Blizzard isn't accidentally creating incredibly diverse, balanced, fun, immersible games over and over. They have incredible foresight and testers and imagination. Obviously it's not infallible and they do make mistakes, cause they produce tons of content and mistakes always do happen, but they listen to the community, continue to test and develop and improve things they find bad.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbl7sW824tI

I love sc2 and will love Hots no mather what. I play no games that comes even close to being as satisfying. If that is blizzard as a former shell of a company, they are doing pretty great.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    mastman wrote: »
    I think that Blizzard is one of the most thoughtful developers out there. The amount of care they put into WoW's dps rotations, talent symmetry, the entire fucking huge world of Azeroth is incredible. When you play other games that are not blizzard games, only then do you realize this (looks at swtor as a shining example).

Diablo 1, 2, sc:bw, sc2 are even more incredible examples. Blizzard isn't accidentally creating incredibly diverse, balanced, fun, immersible games over and over. They have incredible foresight and testers and imagination. Obviously it's not infallible and they do make mistakes, cause they produce tons of content and mistakes always do happen, but they listen to the community, continue to test and develop and improve things they find bad.

People rarely realize how polished WoW is as an MMO until they go play something else. Even SW:TOR has a long way to go to match WoW's level of polish.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    The main difference between Blizzard now and before the merger has nothing to do with the way they make games but with the way they monetize customer loyalty. Before, Blizzard said, "Hey, our last game was awesome, buy this next game." Now Activision says, "We're going to sell all your personal information to facebook, because we know you're going to buy our next game anyway." Grumpy old coots like myself aren't such a fan of that, but I don't think it affects the quality of Blizzard games.

As an aside, your Zynga-related quote makes me chuckle.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options

This is a beautiful post.

I got WC3 and BW as a package when I was 14 and played through the campaigns atleast dozen times. I'd probably have done some multiplayer at the time but I didn't have an internet connection until I was 16. At that point I picked up WoW and logged a good 30 hours a week. Some of my best memories of high school are getting server firsts with my guild and getting Glad after putting tons of work into both. Blizzard games defined my teenage gaming experience.

• Options
    The main difference between Blizzard now and before the merger has nothing to do with the way they make games but with the way they monetize customer loyalty. Before, Blizzard said, "Hey, our last game was awesome, buy this next game." Now Activision says, "We're going to sell all your personal information to facebook, because we know you're going to buy our next game anyway." Grumpy old coots like myself aren't such a fan of that, but I don't think it affects the quality of Blizzard games.

As an aside, your Zynga-related quote makes me chuckle.

While I agree the practice is somewhat annoying, Acitivsion is not the only company doing this. Google does it, Apple does it, Amazon does it. It's sort of the reality of cyber-business these days. You are being tracked, and your information and habits, even if anonymous, are probably being sold.

• Options
    Absolutely everyone is doing it, that's a really going point to mention.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    As a side note, game developers and internet companies didn't start this practice, grocery stores did. Remember in the late 90's when every grocery store in the world suddenly had a club card you had to sign up for to get the best prices? That's what that was about...tracking your shopping habits. This gave rise to the targeted coupons that get printed out, and the targeted sales ads that are sent around.

These days most places do it through payment-method matching, as most people use the same payment method pretty regularly. This is how Target tracks your purchases without needing you to have a Target club card. They also run crazy complex analytics on your purchases to try and figure out better targeted ads. See: The girl who's parents found out she was pregnant because of targeted ads from Target.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Well there is that aspect of it, the silent tracking part, but in modern business it's become a bit more aggressive. It's not just tracking your purchases, but actively riding the line to see how much crap you'll put up with, like opt-out sharing systems, mandatory online connections, must use a credit card, etc. Again, none of those are Blizzard specific, but I think in this case a lot of those attributes are being placed at the foot of the activision-blizzard merger.

• Options
    Mandatory online connections have more to do with piracy than habit tracking, though I agree it's annoying. The only games I can think of that require CC's are MMO's, but most of those offer a pre-paid card method. The opt-out sharing is somewhat annoying, but I am actually a fan of targeted ads. I'm going to get advertised to regardless, I would rather the ads be for something I might actually consider purchasing.

• Options
    You should see my Hulu. I only get ads for alcohol =)

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I don't understand the reasoning of removing the Shredder because of its ability to demolish worker lines, when baneling drops, storm drops, and burrowed infestors essentially already do that.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I liked how they proposed to add some sort of missile launcher that could break tank lines.

Hey yeah how about maybe make it a nuclear missile while we're at it.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I think people were using it solely for drops and not it's intended purpose as area control. Those other things are all used for standard play outside of drops.

• Options
    Mandatory online connections have more to do with piracy than habit tracking, though I agree it's annoying. The only games I can think of that require CC's are MMO's, but most of those offer a pre-paid card method. The opt-out sharing is somewhat annoying, but I am actually a fan of targeted ads. I'm going to get advertised to regardless, I would rather the ads be for something I might actually consider purchasing.

mandatory online connections are treating your custmers like everyone is a criminal. it's bad business, and to take this topic further off topic, since MSFT and SONY are removing the used game marketplace (aka the first sale doctrine, something that has literally been in contention for hundreds of years, and held up by the courts!), I feel like they're literally handing nextGen consoles to Nintendo. making it harder to sell a game that you're done with is an incredibly bad marketing move.

opt-out should be legislated to opt-in, and the legislation that permitted all the crazy info reselling to be opt-out was an industry blowjob.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    I don't understand the reasoning of removing the Shredder because of its ability to demolish worker lines, when baneling drops, storm drops, and burrowed infestors essentially already do that.

I could see the shredder being quite a bit more deadly at killing workers than other methods. But even if it isn't Yilias is probably right. They didn't want it used for that. They wanted area control

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

nice post

yeah I think people forget how amazing a game WoW is

and people forget that even though they spend 10 hours a day complaining about elements of sc2 (or like, 5 hours talking 5 hours complaining depending on the person) they are still talking about the game for that long and playing it equally as long.

... maybe slight exaggeration on time

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2012

mandatory online connections are treating your custmers like everyone is a criminal. it's bad business, and to take this topic further off topic, since MSFT and SONY are removing the used game marketplace (aka the first sale doctrine, something that has literally been in contention for hundreds of years, and held up by the courts!), I feel like they're literally handing nextGen consoles to Nintendo. making it harder to sell a game that you're done with is an incredibly bad marketing move.

opt-out should be legislated to opt-in, and the legislation that permitted all the crazy info reselling to be opt-out was an industry blowjob.

That is a complete rumor about the Sony and Microsoft thing. You're assuming a bunch of shit again Joe, based purely on what you heard on the internet. Most actual industry analysts don't believe MS or Sony will actually do that.

And I really don't feel like I'm being treated like a criminal because I have to login to SC2 to play. That's pretty hyperbolic. If I had to go to jail or in front of a judge every time I played SC2, I might feel like a criminal.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    #FeelinglikeJaziek
    fyoublizzard.jpg

• Options
    #FeelinglikeJaziek
    fyoublizzard.jpg

What!? How did that happen? You were placed into plat last season right?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I liked how they proposed to add some sort of missile launcher that could break tank lines.

Hey yeah how about maybe make it a nuclear missile while we're at it.

I read it as more like being the V2 rocket launcher from Red Alert.

IE - Just a longer ranged siege tank.

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »

There's a difference between hitting worker lines with a 1.5 radius storm and hitting worker lines with a radius 7 storm (I say 7 because hydras couldn't hit shredders from outside the radiation range, so it's obviously more than 6). You are 100% guaranteed to kill every single worker 100% of the time, and will probably catch some other stuff in the periphery. It all dies instantly. In the blink of an eye.

For reference, a nuke has radius 8. You're essentially dropping a unit-only nuke.

• Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    I have no idea....I won my placement match, I was comfortably over %50 last season, playing a mixture of plat and gold. Only thing I can think of is that I just didn't play enough for Blizzard's liking? Or I'm just worse than I think I am. Which is also possible

• Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    I played very. very few 1v1 games last season and still placed diamond again.
    They did match me against some platinums but I beat them all and are facing higher diamonds again now. You might get promoted back up pretty fast.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The one thing thats obvious from this summary of "HotS in development" is that its still not worth speculating at all.

If the units have changed this much internally, you can bet they'll change this much and more by beta, and even more by release.

• Options
    I have no idea....I won my placement match, I was comfortably over %50 last season, playing a mixture of plat and gold. Only thing I can think of is that I just didn't play enough for Blizzard's liking? Or I'm just worse than I think I am. Which is also possible

Bear in mind the matchmaking is different for this season and you can play against higher level opponents potentially - if you beat them you'lll be promoted quicker.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The one thing thats obvious from this summary of "HotS in development" is that its still not worth speculating at all.

It's fun though. That's worth somethin', ain't it?

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular

It's fun though. That's worth somethin', ain't it?

*glances askance at teamliquid*

eh

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wait, did I miss something? Did they change the matchmaking system?

they loosened the strictness of the matchmaking, apparently, giving you more variable matchups from higher/lower elo. apparently it's an experiment of sorts, might just be for the current season.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Bear in mind the matchmaking is different for this season and you can play against higher level opponents potentially - if you beat them you'lll be promoted quicker.

Wait, did I miss something? Did they change the matchmaking system?

edit:

a·skance/əˈskans/
    Adverb:
    With an attitude or look of suspicion or disapproval: "the reformers looked askance at the mystical tradition".

Just in case anyone else was hearing that word for the first time ever.

fatalspoons on