Options

[chat] pooped on the floor again

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Am I completely making this up in my head or did at least 1 or more of the Leisure Suit Larry games feature roofie/alcohol use for sex

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    also kickstarter will not survive if it just becomes a vehicle for the vidjagame equivalent of the popular 80's movie reboot

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I really like Kow Otani's style. I was surprised to hear his stuff in this game, really. but it's amazing! So varied, too.

I don't know what this is because I cannot play it at work but based on the preview frame...

21st, do you have something to tell us?

About what? i am puzzled here. i linked a song from a video game i'm playing these days, composed by Kow Otani.

It's all animu with slender, shirtless men in flamboyant costumes.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    No they don't wait until the product is finished to get the money. They get the money as soon as the Kickstarter is successful.

Right now if you tried to get a lot of money and didn't have anything to entice people like prototypes or schematics you won't be funded. If you could fake that in order to get more money you might be able to get it.

Then when you don't deliver you get arrested like every other time you steal money from people through a service that has records of your financial information.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    That part of the game had an excellently structured gag.
    Which of the many excellently structured gags are you thinking of?

Also, did you go back when Wheatley asks you to come back? God my sides hurt so much from laughing when I did.

I refering to:
    GLaDOS: Well, this is the part where he kills us.
    Wheatley: Hello! This is the part where I kill you!
    CHAPTER 9: THE PART WHERE HE KILLS YOU
    Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You
    Description: This is that part.

And yes, returning to him is great fun.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    so like

what stops a person from promising to do something on kickstarter

and then not doing it and taking all the money

I think the way it works is that money only changes hands after the product is released?

So like, maybe the start up company can borrow against the money they have raised in the kickstarter but, until they release the product, they don't actually get the money from kickstarter.

Does that make sense?

Nope, once they exceed their goal and the time ends, everybody pays up.

It's inevitable that there will be a major shitstorm at some point when a major project doesn't deliver (it's happened for a least one small project that I'm familiar with).

Oh, well that's dumb. I wouldn't do it like that.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    [/spoiler]
    simonwolf wrote: »
    This tidbit from the World War 2 Tweets accounts sounds like something out of a Tolkein novel
    King Haakon plans to leave Elverum, to protect civilians: "I cannot bear to watch children crouching in the snow as bullets mow down trees."

Norwegian names are silly, is what I am saying here

f u

nothing but the truth

the next tweet could be "Saruman commands his legion of Uruk-hai to follow King Haakon; "He shall not reach Gondor," says white-clad leader" and it would make perfect sense

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    also kickstarter will not survive if it just becomes a vehicle for the vidjagame equivalent of the popular 80's movie reboot

there has been a lot of cool stuff on there

I got a custom poster based on game of thrones (done by someone on the AC forum here, I guess!)

I linked to a guy who is selling plans or a premade arcade cabinet

there was a dude who was selling a 3D printer

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I really like Kow Otani's style. I was surprised to hear his stuff in this game, really. but it's amazing! So varied, too.

I don't know what this is because I cannot play it at work but based on the preview frame...

About what? i am puzzled here. i linked a song from a video game i'm playing these days, composed by Kow Otani.

Eh, i guess it's basically an animu reimagining of the Ieyasu tokugawa military campaign, but i can deal with it. i'm comfortable enough to play animu sometimes.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's been successfully working for a good while before the Doublefine thing. If they are clever they already have their plan for how to deal with the inevitable fuckup.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    In other news, jesus tapdancing christ how can converting eBook formats bring my Core i7 with 16gb's of RAM to it's knees.

I suspect it's two things: Calibre is written in Python, and does parallelism by spawning tons of executable processes - since I only get system lag when they're going up or coming down.

• Options
    on the one hand I am mad that my wife put so many miles on my car

on the other hand, I am now much closer to being done with the break in period

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    so like

I think the way it works is that money only changes hands after the product is released?

So like, maybe the start up company can borrow against the money they have raised in the kickstarter but, until they release the product, they don't actually get the money from kickstarter.

Does that make sense?

It's inevitable that there will be a major shitstorm at some point when a major project doesn't deliver (it's happened for a least one small project that I'm familiar with).

Having to borrow money after raising funds you can't touch would be an enormous pain in the ass and negate the benefits of Kickstarter.

• Options
    also I like to think that people are mostly good and not trying to scam you :(

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    In other news, jesus tapdancing christ how can converting eBook formats bring my Core i7 with 16gb's of RAM to it's knees.

I suspect it's two things: Calibre is written in Python, and does parallelism by spawning tons of executable processes - since I only get system lag when they're going up or coming down.
    It takes about a second per book for me.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

It's been successfully working for a good while before the Doublefine thing. If they are clever they already have their plan for how to deal with the inevitable fuckup.

yeah

if i were designing the business model, I'd do it how winky suggested

the way it's set up currently it seems like it's just asking for a royal fuckup

screwups are manageable as long as the projects are cheap - some project for a few grand won't even go to Real Claims Court

but like a project for 2, 3, 4 million bucks? if something like that goes tits up, and KS isn't on it like a bonnet, they are screwed. the negative publicity alone will do them in.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Eh, i guess it's basically an animu reimagining of the Ieyasu tokugawa military campaign, but i can deal with it. i'm comfortable enough to play animu sometimes.

I like how the suggestion that you are gay slides by as nothing but the suggestion that you might be weeaboo is a lot more embarrassing and bears explanation. :lol:

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I hope you are still talking about the car

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I like how the suggestion that you are gay slides by as nothing but the suggestion that you might be weeaboo is a lot more embarrassing and bears explanation. :lol:

Oh, what, you don't think being gay is okay?

:bz

21stCentury on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

It takes about a second per book for me.

It's way the christ slower for me. Like, 5 seconds per book. And honestly 1 second per book feels too long for something which is - to my mind - just parsing some text into slightly different marked up text.

Does it want more RAM? I have a lot of RAM, it could have more RAM.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    All you need to know about Sengoku Basara is that his horse is a motorcycle:
    3COIc.jpg

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Since people are discussing me3:

I blipped through me1 pretty quickly so I am savoring me2 in more detail. The quantity of things I've missed on two playthroughs even in the early stages of the game! Oh man.

Shepard is sauntering around the Citadel and Omega with Garrus and Kasumi, listening to the news reports, listening in on all the little random conversations, noticing the level design and little touches. Doing missions at a more leisurely pace and making sure to do all the conversations possible with crew.

There are a lot of things I like about me3 but the ambiance of me2 wins by a mile for me. I really think surface texture is for mass effect what sound design was for star wars -- it is absolutely the anchor for the world's identity. The sexed-up, mercantilistic vibe works well because your eye is always being pulled over everyone's bodies by the color layouts and lots of linear, vertical patterns on the clothing and suits. Compared to the smoother classic sci fi paperback feel in me1, your corneas are bouncing over these shiny hexagons and matte ribbed rubbery joints and armor plates wrapped around everyone's bodies.

I still love the classic feel of me1 but it's hard for me to get super fired up about the end of the world feel in me3. The world is always ending in video games. They created a world that would actually suck to lose which is where most apocalyptica skips ahead and goes straight to "big scale of the spectacle" mode.

But it lacks the whole invitation to go bad cop and rip around the galaxy in the Normandy II, which was consciously designed to look more like a muscle car than the Normandy I.

Also, in actually talking to Kelly Chambers rather than mostly ignoring her, the character seems more logical than a sexpot punchline. Why don't the Council or the Alliance put a psychologist on a ship like this? You need Chakwas to handle physical ailments. You need engineers and technicians to keep the ship running. You're throwing a Multi-species crew together on a high-stakes mission and of course you want someone whose job is to keep tabs on everyone's emotional well-being. Kelly is awesome and she has a chipper attitude in the face of adversity.

• Options
    the subaru crosstrek looks nice

I'd really like to test drive the new brz

• Options

Calibre is literally the worst computer program ever written.

• Options

I hope you are still talking about the car

o.O

O.o

• Options

Somebody hasn't tried to use Sony's default eReader software.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

brb...making a kickstarter video for a gritty battletoads reboot.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

And yet there doesn't seem to be anything else that does the job that it does, which means we're all stuck using it.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

:l

• Options

I will admit that I have not but I seriously doubt it could possibly be worse. If it failed to start with a DLL loading error it would be better than Calibre.

• Options

I will admit that I have not but I seriously doubt it could possibly be worse. If it failed to start with a DLL loading error it would be better than Calibre.

Calibre is wonderful compared to that. I load it, put books on my eReader and then close it. It takes under 5minutes. I've had an issue with format converting once.

On the otherhand, the Sony software can take a solid two hours of fucking about just to get loaded. And then it'll go iTunes on your books.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

There is an incredibly diverse assortment of project types...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

Oh jeez. Sony's ereader software is more or less unusable 90% of the time.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    The next time I play ME2, I'm hacking in everyone's recruitment mission from the start so I can experience the dialog.

• Options
    I am always like 2 pages behind in the morning when I try to post at first

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

yeah

if i were designing the business model, I'd do it how winky suggested

the way it's set up currently it seems like it's just asking for a royal fuckup

screwups are manageable as long as the projects are cheap - some project for a few grand won't even go to Real Claims Court

but like a project for 2, 3, 4 million bucks? if something like that goes tits up, and KS isn't on it like a bonnet, they are screwed. the negative publicity alone will do them in.

Wazilla's idea is also completely fucked as well. If the money in kickstarter is effectively held in escrow until the product is released, what value would it have as a support to a bank loan?

• Options
    Why would a horse need exhaust pipes

• Options
    edited April 2012

Calibre is wonderful compared to that. I load it, put books on my eReader and then close it. It takes under 5minutes. I've had an issue with format converting once.

On the otherhand, the Sony software can take a solid two hours of fucking about just to get loaded. And then it'll go iTunes on your books.

Heh, that is what calibre did to me. Then when I forcefully exited, it deleted almost all the books I gave it. Luckily, I only gave it a copy of my library.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    so like

Does that make sense?

would you have the money change hands after the product is released, then?

Because I hope you see the obvious flaw in that.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

:l

K, you're not into B'toads. I get it.

Plan B: making a more XXXXTREME version of the Google Glass tech demo. Mine has "Everyone's Naked" mode. Suck it google!

Gimme monies.

This discussion has been closed.