As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] pooped on the floor again

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oh the Tin Tin movie - yes. Despite the uncanny valley issues, the movie is amazingly good. Also they do some really great things with the CG
    One long take through the whole virtual city was a brilliant idea.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    so like

what stops a person from promising to do something on kickstarter

and then not doing it and taking all the money

Fraud charges?

there's no legal obligation to deliver, though. afaik

like, i get kickstarter funds, blow through all my cash on "development" or whatever. It's all in the name of bringing my project together, but it goes towards my "office" and ramen noodles and whatnot

as long as i can prove that that cash went towards my project in some fashion, i skirt fraud charges

Yes there is a legal obligation to deliver. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. It's the same standard accountability issues for any other funding source.

No there isnt!

If my idea doesn't work and my 30 grand or whatever isn't sufficient and I don't deliver, I haven't necessarily committed fraud.

I'll be a bit clearer. There is a legal obligation to make a good faith attempt to deliver a product for market. The way this works is a bit different then angel funding since there isn't an exchange of ownership, or the much more complicated contracts in place that come with angel funding or VC funding. It would make the civil fraud lawsuit complicated. But the criminal side is pretty straight forward. If you don't make a good faith effort to attempt to bring the product to market, you're gonna run afoul of criminal fraud laws.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    so like

I think the way it works is that money only changes hands after the product is released?

So like, maybe the start up company can borrow against the money they have raised in the kickstarter but, until they release the product, they don't actually get the money from kickstarter.

Does that make sense?

Nope, once they exceed their goal and the time ends, everybody pays up.

It's inevitable that there will be a major shitstorm at some point when a major project doesn't deliver (it's happened for a least one small project that I'm familiar with).

Oh, well that's dumb. I wouldn't do it like that.

Having to borrow money after raising funds you can't touch would be an enormous pain in the ass and negate the benefits of Kickstarter.

How would it negate the benefits of kickstarter? It would make the process of securing a loan a lot easier than I imagine it is now, what, with having hundreds of thousands of dollars already put toward your project. Being able to put up kickstarter funds as collateral seems like a good idea to me!

Kickstarter is basically a crowd sourced venture capital firm. Introducing a big stuffy bank into the process complicates and slows down the funding process. Silicon Valley was built because of venture capital firms and leaving risk-averse banks behind. Venture capital is more riskier but it's faster and more beneficial to people and small companies.

I'm honestly not sure how the agreements would work between the bank and kickstarter re: payment on failed projects, but this method maintains all the enthusiasm of the crowd sourced venture capital but provides a layer of protection for the investor. Really, there's no reason that kickstarter couldn't do this itself (although it probably shouldn't) once it gets big enough. I mean, it's pretty clear I put maybe 4 minutes of thought into this idea before posting it, but I do like it, and if Gooey thinks it'll work I'll stick with him!

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Skyrim adds kinect support

JUST WHAT I WANTED BETHESDA HOW DID YOU KNOW?!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Again, Kickstarter isn't venture capitalism, there's no returns or exit strategy, it's straight up donations. If you receive a copy of a game for using kickstarter it's a gift, not a purchase.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Again, Kickstarter isn't venture capitalism, there's no returns or exit strategy, it's straight up donations. If you receive a copy of a game for using kickstarter it's a gift, not a purchase.

I'm pretty sure this is correct specifically to get around legal issues with investment.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Argh, it's spelled Tintin, no space, no double capitalization.

you guys, seriously, spell good when talking about Belgian comic book characters!

• Options
    I think that Kickstarter is going to have huge ramifications on the way business works moving forwards, but I really have no idea ultimately of the shape of changes to come.

Like who the hell thought that youtube and twitter would change the world?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I think that Kickstarter is going to have huge ramifications on the way business works moving forwards, but I really have no idea ultimately of the shape of changes to come.

Youtube moreso than twitter.

The ability to easily share video with anyone in the world is a huge thing.

I'm not sure how much I'd say twitter has changed things? I mean, it's just one of many venues to share text online, it's just a popular one, but if twitter wasn't there it's role could easily be fulfilled by other sites like Facebook.

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

I'm pretty sure this is correct specifically to get around legal issues with investment.

Right, so basically: if your project ultimately ends up shitty and you have to scale back all the features and all the people who donated are pissed but you do end up releasing it, they have no legal recourse. If you just don't do the project and then abscond with the money instead, you will definitely be considered to be committing fraud.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Youtube started in 2005.

That's not really long ago.

• Options

I don't understand where I am involved here.

But, on this subject, Kickstarter funds are donations, not actual payment for a service.

Though I'm pretty sure that taking all the money and then just not doing the project would be a con and be punishable by law.

I think Gooey just meant to put my name and typed yours instead. And this sounded like something you'd have ideas about and I was curious to see if you had posted them at some point in the past so I tagged you!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

The rewards throws a wrench in this interpretation. You exchange money for something.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh the Tin Tin movie - yes. Despite the uncanny valley issues, the movie is amazingly good. Also they do some really great things with the CG
    One long take through the whole virtual city was a brilliant idea.

Yes that was amazing.

It was such a good film.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I'm not sure how much I'd say twitter has changed things? I mean, it's just one of many venues to share text online, it's just a popular one, but if twitter wasn't there it's role could easily be fulfilled by other sites like Facebook.

The things where twitter really shines has to do with transmitting information about world events instantly from actual local people. 24-hour news networks have absolutely no way to keep up, and governments have an incredibly difficult time censoring it.

Twitter was huge with the arab spring, iirc.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    i think the most revolutionary thing about twitter is te retweeting and hashtag functions make it's method of disseminating information much quicker. It's also kind of a form of crowd sourced quality control because the most interesting information inevitably percolates to the top

• Options
    The things where twitter really shines has to do with transmitting information about world events instantly from actual local people. 24-hour news networks have absolutely no way to keep up, and governments have an incredibly difficult time censoring it.

Twitter was huge with the arab spring, iirc.

But that really could have been any site, it just happened to be twitter. I just put that more under the internet than twitter. Twitter just falls under social networking sites to me in terms of changing our world and on that list twitter isn't really the standout. I mean, half of what people post on twitter is mirrored to 2-3 other social network sites as they post it.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Argh, it's spelled Tintin, no space, no double capitalization.

you guys, seriously, spell good when talking about Belgian comic book characters!

Thank you.

And yes, Tintin was an amazing movie. Being a fan of the comic books when I was a kid, I loved all the subtle references and scenes taken directly from the books.

sig.gif
  • Options

I think twitter pioneered a lot of the SMS to Internet thing. Really made it a core focus of their bizness, thus allowing many millions more access their service even without a smartphone. This probably played a big role in establishing its global popularity

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Youtube started in 2005.

That's not really long ago.

Remember how crappy it was back then? 240p video that loaded slowly. Horrible flash player thing. Flooded with whole TV shows and movies split up into 10 minute segments.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    if anything, you'd get hit with breach of contract, which doesn't really obligate the other person to perform, just pay remedies (probably the cost of the donations) back. fraud'd be hard to prove because scientor can be easily masked

• Options

The rewards throws a wrench in this interpretation. You exchange money for something.

Eh, NPR has done this for approximately forever. You make a donation of X amount and get a t-shirt, sweater, mug, whatever. I've always been assured it was legal though... and since somebody as hated as NPR can do it without getting absolutely destroyed for it, I'm sure kickstarter can.

• Options

But, on this subject, Kickstarter funds are donations, not actual payment for a service.

Though I'm pretty sure that taking all the money and then just not doing the project would be a con and be punishable by law.

I think Gooey just meant to put my name and typed yours instead. And this sounded like something you'd have ideas about and I was curious to see if you had posted them at some point in the past so I tagged you!

Well I made that thread about IP law but I backed away from that idea because there's a number of big problems with it.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    so like

I think the way it works is that money only changes hands after the product is released?

So like, maybe the start up company can borrow against the money they have raised in the kickstarter but, until they release the product, they don't actually get the money from kickstarter.

Does that make sense?

Nope, once they exceed their goal and the time ends, everybody pays up.

It's inevitable that there will be a major shitstorm at some point when a major project doesn't deliver (it's happened for a least one small project that I'm familiar with).

Oh, well that's dumb. I wouldn't do it like that.

would you have the money change hands after the product is released, then?

Because I hope you see the obvious flaw in that.

I'm assuming the "obvious flaw" is that the company could release a shitty product or something that doesn't deliver on the features promised? And I'm hoping you see that obvious response that kickstarter as a company would have to such an action?

no

the obvious flaw being if they don't fund it until after it is released then it won't have funding to get released

Oh, I've already addressed that!

@gooey I'm not seeing where @winky described his idea!

I'm not seeing where. That they should borrow money, with the money they don't have?

If it fails, there is still zero money to pay down the loan. Bank is not amused.

That's not really true. The bank would be able to take control and liquidate all assets of the failed company. Remember, I proposed this solution specifically to solve the "People starting kickstarter and running off with the money" problem. I think it works.

what assets?

if the company had enough assets to get a big enough loan, they don't need the kickstarter

the cash that people have pleged

a cash secured loan would be super simple. people put up their funds for the KS. the money gets put in a lockbox, KS holds the key. Scary Financial Institution funds the project. If project delivers, people get their stuff, upstart company gets its money, bank gets paid back.

the kicker is that the financial guys do the due dilligence on the upstart (can they actually do this? can they actually do this for this amount of money?) and monitor (are they actually doing it?)

based upon the calculated risk levels of both the bank may lend more/less than what the KS is asking for. if they lend less against the collateral (the cash people have put up) people might actually wind up getting some of their money back instead of getting entirely screwed.
    so like

Fraud charges?

there's no legal obligation to deliver, though. afaik

like, i get kickstarter funds, blow through all my cash on "development" or whatever. It's all in the name of bringing my project together, but it goes towards my "office" and ramen noodles and whatnot

as long as i can prove that that cash went towards my project in some fashion, i skirt fraud charges

Yes there is a legal obligation to deliver. I'm not sure where you got that idea from. It's the same standard accountability issues for any other funding source.

No there isnt!

If my idea doesn't work and my 30 grand or whatever isn't sufficient and I don't deliver, I haven't necessarily committed fraud.

I'll be a bit clearer. There is a legal obligation to make a good faith attempt to deliver a product for market. The way this works is a bit different then angel funding since there isn't an exchange of ownership, or the much more complicated contracts in place that come with angel funding or VC funding. It would make the civil fraud lawsuit complicated. But the criminal side is pretty straight forward. If you don't make a good faith effort to attempt to bring the product to market, you're gonna run afoul of criminal fraud laws.

That's what I'm saying. I know I started talking about straight up fraud, but I'm saying that there is some large project eventually that is going to go belly up even with a good faith effort to deliver. and unless KS has enough private equity backing to just give people their money back they will be up a creek

But, in my experience, a "good faith effort" has a malleable definition

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's really not. Indiegogo is straight up donations. Kickstarter has a goal, and you only pay when you hit that goal. Lots of people dislike Kickstarter because they can't understand how it differs from donations.

It's more like patronage, or pre-ordering a product.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

Well I made that thread about IP law but I backed away from that idea because there's a number of big problems with it.

I actually remember encouraging you to make that thread! Not like it was years ago or anything, but still...

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Twitter was one of many tools of Arab spring uprisings, but they were grounded in actual local geography. There is no shortage of footage of activists rolling their eyes at the phrase "twitter revolution." The whole concept was overblown but logical for everyone on the outside who were following through twitter -- I twitter is the lens, then twitter is going to frame understanding like any lens.

Twitter is an effective text message to anyone and everyone but it doesn't seem intrinsically transformative.

I would definitely place youtube's impact much higher than twitter.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    funny-puns-untitled6.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    For $5 million dollars I will releass my Gooey nude photoshoot in a tasteful coffee table book

my favorite pose is "the thinker"

thats what the toiletcam was for

So glad I read this before the panel started, otherwise I may have chuckled out loud at exactly the wrong moment.

• Options
    i think the most revolutionary thing about twitter is te retweeting and hashtag functions make it's method of disseminating information much quicker. It's also kind of a form of crowd sourced quality control because the most interesting information inevitably percolates to the top

Yes, this.

Twitter is in such a configuration that it allows a lot of instantaneous communication between unrelated individuals that disseminates incredibly quickly.

I agree, Quizzy, that there's nothing really genius about the construction of Twitter such that it, in itself, is a special development, but it hit that critical point of saturation where it has become the standard. It's like how MySpace and Facebook weren't initially very different in ways that couldn't be easily altered, but Facebook took off and that's why it's such a cultural icon.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    also kickstarter will not survive if it just becomes a vehicle for the vidjagame equivalent of the popular 80's movie reboot

It's been successfully working for a good while before the Doublefine thing. If they are clever they already have their plan for how to deal with the inevitable fuckup.

yeah

if i were designing the business model, I'd do it how winky suggested

the way it's set up currently it seems like it's just asking for a royal fuckup

screwups are manageable as long as the projects are cheap - some project for a few grand won't even go to Real Claims Court

but like a project for 2, 3, 4 million bucks? if something like that goes tits up, and KS isn't on it like a bonnet, they are screwed. the negative publicity alone will do them in.

Wazilla's idea is also completely fucked as well. If the money in kickstarter is effectively held in escrow until the product is released, what value would it have as a support to a bank loan?

if it's cash secured it would have really good value, actually. the bank wouldn't take the hit when you don't deliver like when they try to forclose on a house. when you default they just call KS and take their money.

So how is that different? Everybody has still lost their money if Kickstart pay the bank.

Yeah, I'm not getting the difference. How would using the kick starter funds to get a bank loan benefit anyone except the bank?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Twitter was one of many tools of Arab spring uprisings, but they were grounded in actual local geography. There is no shortage of footage of activists rolling their eyes at the phrase "twitter revolution." The whole concept was overblown but logical for everyone on the outside who were following through twitter -- I twitter is the lens, then twitter is going to frame understanding like any lens.

Twitter is an effective text message to anyone and everyone but it doesn't seem intrinsically transformative.

I still don't get Twitter.

Maybe if I could roll it into Pidgin without needing an account or something, but it seems distressingly dissimilar to IRC, which has only ever helped.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

KONY 2012!

• Options

It's really not. Indiegogo is straight up donations. Kickstarter has a goal, and you only pay when you hit that goal. Lots of people dislike Kickstarter because they can't understand how it differs from donations.

It's more like patronage, or pre-ordering a product.

But I mean, in a purely technical and legal sense, they are donations.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I think twitter pioneered a lot of the SMS to Internet thing. Really made it a core focus of their bizness, thus allowing many millions more access their service even without a smartphone. This probably played a big role in establishing its global popularity

The phone thing is a good point -- that whole mode of communication will probably continue to push Internet access in so many markets. Where would Internet access be in parts of Africa without cellphones?

• Options
    okay so ME3 questions as I get closer to playing it. please don't spoil stuff for me, this is mechanics related
    my excess minerals mined in ME2 convert to galactic readiness, right? what is the conversion rate like? i'm thinking i need to get that as high as possible because it usually takes me while to play games and i dont want it to deteriorate on me so i get a bad ending

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I still don't get Twitter.

Maybe if I could roll it into Pidgin without needing an account or something, but it seems distressingly dissimilar to IRC, which has only ever helped.

I suppose "IRC, but you make your own channel and put people in it" is a good description.

• Options
    *sigh* JET email did not show up while I sleep.

I guess that means I get to spend all day panic checking my email every five minutes.

Stupid emotions.

• Options
    i have said this before in [chat] but I don't understand twitter at all

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Punkbuster is shit. It is worthless, useless shit. Started getting the "punkbuster has kicked you for 0 minutes" error last night. None of the "fixes" work. Trying to play Battlefield 3 is useless now, I can't stay in a match more than 5 minutes.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.