As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadowrun | This Thread's got Black Ice, Chummer. Find the New One.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    I know one gamer that uses a Mac for gaming. Everyone else is Windows, Linux, consoles or combinations of above. So, yeah, anecdotal and all that. Macs may have a bigger buyer base, but whether or not your average Mac gamer is actually the type that will buy this sort of game is debatable. I'm unconvinced, but you clearly disagree.

Linux gamers? Those are two words I've never seen next to each other. Antecdotal, I know. I don't own a PC right now, but that doesn't make me any less of a gamer or make my want any less. I can't wait for the Mac port of this so I can start playing.

Some people will probably play this on multiple systems, and I know A LOT (well, I do live in Portland) of people who use exclusively Mac laptops. Especially at school. I can see the Mac being a very big "on the go" platform for the game.

Esh on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Completely sorta semi unrelated, but woohoo! I'm down to 49 Shadowrun books left to buy, excluding novels. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Completely sorta semi unrelated, but woohoo! I'm down to 49 Shadowrun books left to buy, excluding novels. :)

Are you trying to collect everything from all editions?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Are you trying to collect everything from all editions?

Just about. That includes revision editions, which are gonna be a bitch. 1st and early 2nd is about all I have left, save for 1 3rd edition book I missed for some insane reason.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Oh man, I used to have a bunch of old 2nd edition books, but I haven't seen them in years. Rigger black book, neo anarchists guide to real life, the paranormal animals books, street sam catalog, couple others.

No clue where they could be now tho. I may have to delve into the stygian depths of my basement and see if I can find them.

• Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    Corporate Shadowfiles taught me everything I know about business

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2012
    I have near-mint condition Shadowbeat, Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Real Life and both NAN volumes. :smug:

edit: and 1st edition Seattle sourcebook.

edit edit: and 1st edition Germany sourcebook.

Echo on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I have a good condition boxed set for DMZ, probably collecting dust at my parent's place. Probably one of the stranger Shadowrun spinoffs, as it was an entirely different rules set for playing Shadowrun as a tactical board game (like Battletech). The take-home message from it was "Trolls count as cover. Trust us on this one."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Have they said what edition rules the game will be based on?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Not that I'm aware of, but here's the thing: I asked them a question about the level editor right before pledging some cash and they actually answered my question. The devs directly responded to my specific question. That's just fucking awesome. Took them a while, but that's no surprise considering they've got 20k contributors and I'm sure a fat stack of questions to go along with all those contributions.

I figure the worst thing you could do is just ask them a question through the Kickstarter page.

Oh, and in the interest of spreading the good word, my question was about whether the game would stick to text-based presentation and whether the players will be able to edit in-game text. Just so nobody gets any ideas about concrete info, the response only regards plans for the Level Editor, not set-in-stone information. Anyway, the Harebrained response was that they have no plans at all to bother with VA work (which is awesome) and that editing runs will occur within a certain set of criteria and won't be opening the editor to non-level editing. I already sent off a question to clarify what they mean by that, but it sounds like they don't plan to include something like being able to make our own dialogue.

But, again, this is all pretty vague right now, so nobody going screaming their head off about how the game isn't delivering the right experience or some promised feature. Pretty much the only solid thing I would take away from this is that Harebrained doesn't plan to mess around with VA work and that game will just use text for dialogue stuff.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    All right, I'm on board with this.

There are sooooo many things about Shadowrun that are just silly, and yet I still like it. I've given up trying to understand why - now I just go with it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    One of the great things about a world of science meshed with magic is that it's a lot easier to include ideas that are pretty off-the-wall; anything sufficiently strange in one direction or the other can be explained with the right application of magic or science.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Or both!

IE: Cyberzombies.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Or both!

IE: Cat-girls
    Fixed that for you. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So Shadowrun novels: which ones will not cause me to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver, but instead will make me want to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver and then replace them with better ones?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Into the Shadows is a good start.

Never Deal with a Dragon is the start of a good series.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I remember liking Shadowboxer when I was younger.

• Options
    ShexyBShexyB Registered User regular
    Really hoping this Kickstarter thing slows up a bit, otherwise I will be bankrupt before the year is out.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Not that I'm aware of, but here's the thing: I asked them a question about the level editor right before pledging some cash and they actually answered my question. The devs directly responded to my specific question. That's just fucking awesome. Took them a while, but that's no surprise considering they've got 20k contributors and I'm sure a fat stack of questions to go along with all those contributions.

I figure the worst thing you could do is just ask them a question through the Kickstarter page.

<snip>

I just wanted to add, I too asked them a question about if Adepts could be added if they got the budget for it, they answered fairly quickly, I even did a follow up comment, and they said they added it to the wishlist.

These guys are totally cool with questions if you are cool with hearing "We will think about it".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that's a completely reasonable answer to expect at this point in time. It's all going to be pretty much in just the planning stages right now, so there's no way yet to determine what will 100% work.

The thing I'm personally hoping for is to be able to do things like write dialogue for NPCs and add flavor text. So if you have to, say, swipe a statue, the Johnson won't give you a stock mission description; instead, somebody could go in and write some unique dialogue for him. And for the stolen statue, you could also give it flavor text so it's not just some random statue worth some money.

It may not seem like much, but being able to add descriptions like that is often the difference between a ho-hum tabletop gaming session and something that turns out to be awesome. It'd be nice to transfer that to this Shadowrun game.

• Options
    So Shadowrun novels: which ones will not cause me to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver, but instead will make me want to jab my eyes out with a screwdriver and then replace them with better ones?
    My recommendations are in the thread here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22703154#Comment_22703154

Not including the Twist/Dodger trilogy, which is pretty good (Never Deal With a Dragon, Choose Your Enemies Carefully, Find Your Own Truth)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Yeah, I asked them my question about what rule set the thought the game would be closest to and they answered me... what platforms the game would be available for. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I love Shadowrun, I hope this freaking rakes in the dough.

And then they do an Earthdawn game.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Yeah, I asked them my question about what rule set the thought the game would be closest to and they answered me... what platforms the game would be available for. :(

You can continue to reply to them. Ask them differently, maybe the question wasn't clear for whatever reason, or just flat out tell them they didn't answer your question to satisfaction because they answered a different question. I know their first response to me wasn't encouraging about how Adepts weren't part of the core but I persisted and that changed to a "We'll put it on the wishlist".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I feel the same way, which is why I'd prefer if the second city wasn't a major American city. Sure, each big city is different, but another big American city would naturally mean a tendency towards more of the same American culture bleeding into that area. Seattle will have plenty of that, so why not pick some place with a completely different flavor?

New Tokyo, Berlin, Tenochtitlan, Chicago, or the Zurich Orbital.

All of them have a certain HOLY SHIT factor that will be hard to do in a video game, but these are the people who made Shadowrun in the first place, so...

• Options
    Zurich Orbital is a space station, not a city. It's cramped, and almost impossible to go to, as it is 100% controlled by the AAA Megacorps. It's more of a retirement home for very old billionaires anyway.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    And then magic wouldn't work up there.

• Options

You can continue to reply to them. Ask them differently, maybe the question wasn't clear for whatever reason, or just flat out tell them they didn't answer your question to satisfaction because they answered a different question. I know their first response to me wasn't encouraging about how Adepts weren't part of the core but I persisted and that changed to a "We'll put it on the wishlist".

Yeah, It's okay. The answer but wouldn't actually mean anything to me. Since the wait for this game will be torturous, thought I might pick up a source book to pore over. I will probably be able to find alternate ways to entertain myself during the lo g wait.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Hey Echo, quick question: I know there is the Critical Failures forum, but is it okay to discuss PnP stuff here? This is the most distilled thread of SR I've found so far, and I wanted to kick around some rules/questions I was having. These are the people to ask (yourself included).

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    YES!! These guys just said that if shadowrun is a success, they may look into resurecting Crimson Skies. That was one of my favourite games when I was little. Now I reckon I have to support this.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm, maybe a Renegade Legion Kickstart would be in order as well. Stretch goal: Leviathan.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Damn stop it you guys. You are making me hope for stuff that couldn't possibly happen. Right?

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    YES!! These guys just said that if shadowrun is a success, they may look into resurecting Crimson Skies. That was one of my favourite games when I was little. Now I reckon I have to support this.

Never played Crimson Skies, but I've been watching Research Indicates's LP of it, and it looks like fun.

So apparently he regained the rights to MechWarrior, too! I wonder if we might see another BattleTech RPG?

• Options
    I used to play the BT RPG. It wasn't all that great, but I did enjoy the injury rules. It was pretty gnarly (to me, I was alot younger back then though). Kind of like Warhammer RPG critical hits.

Oh what's that you rolled? Hm, ok arm mangled, they have to cut it off.

At least in BT time frame you can get replacements that don't consist of a wooden bit.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

Never played Crimson Skies, but I've been watching Research Indicates's LP of it, and it looks like fun.

Re: Crimson Skies

ALL MY DIIIIIIICCCCKKKKSSS!

So apparently he regained the rights to MechWarrior, too! I wonder if we might see another BattleTech RPG?

Not quite sure what you mean. There are two MechWarrior games currently in development, and the Battletech PnP game never went away. It's published and developed by Catalyst Game Labs now.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Not quite sure what you mean. There are two MechWarrior games currently in development, and the Battletech PnP game never went away. It's published and developed by Catalyst Game Labs now.
    He probably means something like the Crescent Hawk's Inception (possibly Mech Commander). Most Battletech games focus on simulation elements and piloting a single 'Mech, rather than an ongoing story and campaign, with tactical control of units and raising stats on the individual pilots.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

He probably means something like the Crescent Hawk's Inception (possibly Mech Commander). Most Battletech games focus on simulation elements and piloting a single 'Mech, rather than an ongoing story and campaign, with tactical control of units and raising stats on the individual pilots.

If you want a new MechCommander, look no further than the currently-in-development MechWarrior Tactics.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

If you want a new MechCommander, look no further than the currently-in-development MechWarrior Tactics.
    I would look further than that. It's going to be arena battles (not literal arena battles, but head-to-head engagements), like tabletop BattleTech, but not an RPG, like the Crescent Hawk's Inception. Plus, it looks to be multiplayer competitive only, with few single player elements.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Well, if what one wants is a new Crescent Hawk's style game, I wouldn't hold your breath. Those were pretty much the very first BattleTech computer/video games, and there wasn't anything else like them in a decade of BattleTech/MechWarrior games after that.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Neuromancer (bear with me on this)
    While it isn't a book made for Shadowrun, the entirety of the book is what Shadowrun is based off of. It's where we get Street Samurai, Deckers, and vast swathes of the terminology and technology in the game. You could easily read the book as both something external to Shadowrun and something that's about Shadowrun.